Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Nicely said. This is exactly the problem - I guess - a lot of iPad users know. Just take what you want. It's absolutly not about what you "need". ;)

My parents will buy an iPad soon. Theier old laptop is dead-slow and all they need is an airplay compatible printer. That's it. I believe it would be the best solution for them, too. Like you already said.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I cannot wait to see how OEM's at Mobile World Congress later this month respond to this. I'm guessing it'll somehow involve redundant clocks.

4. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    It really was a no brainer along with an A6 to keep pace. But honestly, I'm really less than impressed.

Retina simply does not bring that much to the party for me. Is it great? Without a doubt, I have it on my iPhone. It's beautiful - especially if you're reading books. But I'd still rather read books on my Kindle. Hands down. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a issue with surfing or anything else on the iPad2. Although I suppose I'd really appreciate it if I used one for a while.

But that's not even the real issue here for me. IMO, the iPad 3 is facing a situation now akin to that of a next generation console. There simply aren't that many killer iOS games that require the latest hardware, while there is a developed library that is perfectly compatible with older hardware. And what's worse is that due to the pricing of iOS games there don't seem to be many developers really looking to get right on new software. And even if they do, how long will it be before their efforts see the light of day? If the iPad 2 is underutilized (and it sure seems that way), can we expect anything different from the 3? If this is the case, I guess it begs the question - can apple support yearly releases of iPad's in the long run? I don't know. Maybe. Consoles have a multi-year lifespan. So do computers. Heck, so do phones for most folks.

At this point, unless my wife really wants an iPad (or someone comes up with a really good argument), I think we'll just be sticking with the iPad 2. Maybe I'll upgrade to the 4 if the games situation turns around.

I'm a massive gadget head so I can't even tell you how weird this seems to me. Maybe I'll pick up a Windows 8 tablet this year instead, although I suspect applications will need to be compiled for ARM in order to run.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes. They're a hardware company. They're going to keep releasing new hardware. iPads, iPhones, and the iPod touch all have multi-year lifespans. The 3GS is still a good phone, and supported by Apple and it came out in summer of 2009. Just because Apple releases something new doesn't mean whatever they previously released stopped working. :)

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Good point. I wonder, though, how many apps/games optimized for the iPad2 were available when it hit the stores the first few months.

7. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    There were a few as I was one of the people that stood in line to get one. Real Racing 2 was one. A few other got amazing graphical updates like AA added. Dead Space and Infinity Blade where among the top games to show off the ipad2. Cant think of any more off the top of my head.

8. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes I am, I have an iPad 1 that I mostly use for artwork, since owning an iPhone and realising, wow you can actually create nice art on it, bought an iPad for the larger screen size, now though some art creation apps will crash with heavy use of layer blends/merges etc but it's still very usable. Apart from artrage my old iPad 1 grinds to a halt almost.

I don't see the need to upgrade every time, so held off on a iPad 2, but yes defo will be purchasing an iPad 3, mainly again for art creation, plus a higher res output and hopeFully a decent cam.

Not sure why people feel they would need the latest iPad versions if all your doing is playing games and checking the net, I'd say stick with what works for you, if you need the extra ram and extra res/specs, kool, if not stick with what you have maybe.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #89 Teknikal, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    Will take it to be quite powerful if it's going to be running that or games and apps may suffer for it but I'm sure everyone will probably want the Retina screen either way.

Personally still not interested though.

10. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I never felt that the iPad needed retina display, the only time pixels became apparent was in 3D games, web browsing seemed fine in landscape, but once you set it to portrait, 768 pixels just isn't enough to display legible web print. I imagine retina display could be really good for portrait browsing.

For me, the priority with a tablet computer though, over the inner workings and specs, is in the size and weight. I'm using my Galaxy Tab 8.9 because it's the perfect size (iPad too big, 7" tabs too small, IMO) and ultra-light. For me the iPad 3 would benefit more from being wafer thin than being super powerful.

11. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes I will be purchasing an iPad 3 on launch day, I use my iPad 1 mainly to create artwork, however some apps will crash with heavy layer merging or use of blends etc, seems to be happening more and more with the new updates and tools, So I do actually need the extra specs, higher res and cam, already have the money on standby waiting.

I held off on an iPad 2 because I really don't think anyone needs to upgrade every year, especially if your only playing games an checking email/net etc. Upgrade of you need to, if your only using it as a gaming device like most people here seem to be talking about and you already have an iPad 2 I can't see why you would need to upgrade at all.

As for the laptop argument there are some major benifits over any tablet for me, namely adobe creative suite. I'm sure it will be years before we see high end program's running on tablets, that today will run easily on any 500 dollar laptop.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Well, if you're getting an iPad for pro-level graphics editing you're basically using the wrong tool for the job. The iPad is best for consuming content, not necessarily creating it.

13. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #93 mr.Ugly, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    Well just on thursday we discussed the implication of an retina ipad with a couple artists especially with the pressure sensitive jot coming too

And the possible retina screen with the hopefull proper spec bump makes this an very interesting tablet for content creation. There is nothing ressolution wise in a compareable price bracket.

Of course not as a complete desktop replacement but a replacement for a portable device like a convertible.. Or a classic paper sketchbook

14. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #94 Tommet, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    I'm not sure you understood my point. Or I'm not getting yours.

Lots of used to be companies have been in a similar position, and things have not turned out nearly so rosy for them. IBM for one. Y'all remember them? They are that little company that's responsible for setting the initial standards for 85-90 percent of the desktops world wide. They don't sell too many computers nowadays tho.

Yeah, the hardware will keep working. But eventually that means they sell less and less new hardware...

Of course things like not allowing the user to replace a battery will help keep folks comping back. At least till someone else can offer a comparable product.

15. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #95 Tommet, Feb 19, 2012
    Deleted

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

IBM is a weird example. They used to make the best in class PC laptop, then inexplicably sold that brand off to Levono where it has since become the same crapola that Dell and every other PC hardware manufacturer that doesn't get what makes Macs good makes. In IBM's case, they're where they are now because of dissolving powerful brands and failure to innovate with their existing brands.

Comparatively, each year Apple puts out something new and cool that makes the upgrade worthwhile.

Apple's planned obsolesce with their devices also basically guarantees there will never be a point where everyone just has an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch and doesn't need to buy another one. That, and electronics as a whole have shifted to a much more consumable/disposable market where you rarely even keep anything for longer than a year or two... So this cycle is something consumers have been slowly getting more and more used to basically since the inception of the iPod.

17. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #97 Tommet, Feb 19, 2012

18. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #98 Tommet, Feb 19, 2012
    Deleted.

19. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Of course, thats why i mention the 500 dollar laptop argument..today people still need a computer running progs that won't run on a tablet, But take a look at adobe ideas for example, it's truly exellent for starting or adding work to adobe illustrator documents exporting PDFs straight into adobe illustrator to edit further is great. as is just using adobe ideas, drawing with a stylus and exporting in vector format.

There are many people using iPads to create some great work, see David hockneys recent iPad work exhibition, he speaks of his love of making art on an ipad and says even Picasso would of been using one haha..check the iPad art flickr groups. You may well be surprised if your firmly of the mindset that The iPad is only mainly usefull for consuming content, not creating it. Recently the autodesk university in las Vegas had a show of work solely created on iPad with sketchbook pro app. It's an awesome tool to create art with.

I've been doing art for 20 plus years and never found anything as easy quick or as fun to make art with, also I've heard people say and I agree, that you almost get the same feeling as playing video games, it's equally as fun. Feels like your playing a game not doing art (homework)

Anyway I realise we are going a little off topic here, apologies for that.

20. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

If I didn't require one as a dev, I would not buy the iPad 3, nor would I have purchased the iPad 2. I admit it is really cool now that I have one, but for the price...hell no. Seems like I just waited for my iPad 2 to arrive.

That is an awful lot of pixels. I planned ahead for this and designed all my game assets BIG.

Seriously, a new iPad every year? Come on Apple gimme a break.