Universal Arma Tactics - (Bohemia Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JagerBombS, Sep 5, 2013.

1. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    This looks really promising. Seems like a less "complicated", or complex if you will, version of XCOM and that neon color looking game and similar games. Which is something I think I'd enjoy more. And no IAPs either! So, for shorter less involved strategy- tactical shooting, does it fill that place well? Anyone manage to try it already?

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I haven't gotten it yet, but the main concern seems to be game length - with just five missions (and some in a tutorial). But a source over on Droid Gamers says another group of missions is expected soon as a free update. And all of bugs (like disappearing enemies) have been fixed.

I still haven't played through Breach and Clear so I'll probably wait on this one.

3. RamazAdelphos

RamazAdelphos Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    So as a fan of Breach and Clear, well a disappointed fan. Since the whole game is not even fully released yet I decided to pick this game up. Only played halfway through the tutorial and I got to say I'm already having fun. Looks alot like Xcom even though I never played it and the control are silky smooth. Cant wait to actually dive into the missions and start buying some new guns and all of that :) wow Terraria, Junk Jack X, Plants vs Zombies 2, and now Arma Tactics are u kidding lol. I start school on Monday and I fear that my grades are going to suffer lol. Oh ya I also just picked up Call of:Duty World at War Zombies, Beans Quest, and Ski Safari.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Well hello there sexy! Where did you come from? Downloading....

5. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Any other first impressions? I've always enjoyed strategy games, not really a FPS-type of guy, but an really interested in this one.

6. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Oh, well that's not exactly a lot of content. But I just noticed the description mentions something about "generated missions with randomized objectives" outside of the story missions, so maybe that will help fleshing the game out a bit

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    So is anyone playing this? What's it like?

8. mutts

mutts Active Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Well it wouldn't be a real Arma game if it did not contain bugs. ;)

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This. Curious too, tactics gets banded around fairly willy nilly these days.

10. RamazAdelphos

RamazAdelphos Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Ok so I was liking the tutorial until the bug i headr everyone talking about happened to me :( and that bug is invisible enemies yay..... This stupid bug makes it so you can't see the enemie you have to kill to move on >_> so irritating!!! UGH plz fix i feel like i wasted my $4.99 in my recent post i told everyone it was a fun game well i retract my statement so do not buy ;-;

11. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #31 Bool Zero, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    Well I haven't encountered any bugs yet and I played for a little bit. The game is quite good and controls pretty well. Visuals are very sharp and clean the texture work looks very nice. The animations could use some work and there is a little herky-jerkyness to some of the animations but otherwise it's nothing that will ruin the gameplay experience especially if you use the tactical games of this nature; these little blemishes are pretty forgivable.

As a nice array of options available to you and there is a good feel of tactical combat and positioning that's present in the game. Don't expect actual Arma Level of depth here in complexity or options, but you will be very pleased with most of the options that are available to you and if you've played other games in the genre that recently released such as XCOM, or Breach & Clear, then you will find yourself right at home with the controls, options and tactical positioning and actions, and overall level of strategy involved in this type of game.

The game features full audio voice acting (serviceable) and a slick graphical appearance that makes this one of the better looking and of sounding games on the AppStore of its ilk. I will say that I will not be deleting XCOM anytime soon but then again I don't think there's any game they could get me to delete that off of my device much less my computer or sell my various console copies of that game. I will say though that this holds a firm place next to games like XCOM and Breach & Clear and can sit comfortably and competently in that same folder!

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hmm...supposedly this was fixed in the Android version. And you would have thought that before releasing the iOS version they would have fixed it there as well (it's been out since May on Android).

13. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Thanks to those with first impressions. Anyone else?

14. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    1 question; is this close to jagged alliance?

15. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    No.
    I could only wish a game would come out that is close to jagged alliance, or S.W.A.T. Series for that matter...

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    If I get correctly this is more similar to Bleach & Clear (or Frozen Synapse) rather than JA. I get the heads-up from PT, but still on the fence...

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    The question will be: this or breach and clear?

18. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Pretty much... But I like it and it has solid gameplay and production values which show in the end result of there duct, at least to me...

19. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Tough call early on. They are both very similar in feel but I couldn't rightly say which one I would pick over the other. In the end, Arma has features that I wish Breach & Clear would implement and vice versa...

20. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Such as?