Universal Arma Tactics - (Bohemia Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JagerBombS, Sep 5, 2013.

1. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Seems to have no save states mid game, I was playing the tutorial, minimised for a minute and when I came back it made me start over...

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Sounds good to me, thanks for the impressions. Gonna pick this up later today. Kinda weird about Game Center though. Why is it implemented but no leaderboards or achievements? Doesn't make much sense...

3. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    In my opinion better than Breach & Clear....worse than Xcom lol.

Its good...simple...turn based (2 aps which you choose to use for moving and firing etc). Once you have unlocked the first map from the campaign you can play skirmish (you can select game types - escape...assasination etc and maps). Im loving the skirmish much more than the campaign...some of the randomised setups can be insane (one man in a room full of X-rays - Tangos if youre american lol).

My main gripe is that if you want to upgrade your characters its not very user friendly (different screens...easy to forget who is your sniper etc).

Also it says that you can unlock more weapons but i cant see how / where....any ideas?

All in all worth the money....so much more than B&C (which is still more of a concept than a playable game in my opinion)

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Unlocking weapons isn't it via the buy icon?
    The game is simplified of xcom makes it easier for masses.

My gripe is that the movement of soldiers are clunky... And there's no way to control how they move.. Their path finding is rather bad.. They will choose a path where enemies will have free shoot at them

5. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I just finished Call of Duty: Strike Team. I was very disappointed because of its short length. I know you can't directly compare these two games, but I'd like to know if Arma Tactics is more fun and bigger. I will not be happy if I again pay $7 for less than one day of play time.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lol I'll bet this isn't the first time you've been unimpressed by a short length :p
    This is iOS gaming here, for these prices you can't expect infinite playtime.
    I'd call it value for money if I pay £2.99 for arma (or any other game) and it gave me an hour or two of fun gaming,
    Half the console games these days that are 10x that price only give you one days playtime.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    There are five more missions coming soon, effectively doubling the length, for free. So more content is coming.

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's not the money, it's that I don't want to invest any time in learning a game system if after a few hours there's nothing left in it. The payoff from the best games is dozens of hours (or more) wrestling with them once you develop some mastery. That's what I play games for.

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well IMO this probably isn't the game for you as it doesn't seem like there's a lot to learn and master other than where to drag your guys to, I'm playing on the hardest setting and its not hard.

The only bad thing I see so far is that the percentage chance to hit a shot seems really low as there's lots of shots with a clear line of sight that just miss for no apparent reason.

It feels a lot like another game I played on iOS called "tactical soldier undead rising"

10. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    It's quite the drain. Be near an outlet if you're gonna play it.

11. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The game is not complex, but definitely fun. It's just frustrating that it crashes so often on my iPad mini. I'll most likely stop playing till they release the inevitable update.

12. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    same thing here - in the tutorial. On the missions the game is saved every turn, and you have the option to start over or resume where you left off.

13. Ales7

Ales7 New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    #73 Ales7, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Hi,

I'm Ales, Arma Tactics developer and I will be glad to answer any questions you might have :).

Some of you have noticed the slowdowns that occur when buildings become transparent (and also the game crashes, which, when happen, are quite noticeable...).

We are aware of this problem and we're fixing it right as I write this - an update with a fix will be released asap.

As for the device compatibility: I'll copy and paste what is said at our App Store page:

NOTE: Compatible with iPad 2 and up, iPad mini, iPod touch 5 and up and iPhone 4S and up – WILL NOT RUN ON EARLIER DEVICES

That means, unfortunately, no iPad1 and iPod4 Touch etc. - for now. We are still doing some test so it is quite possible that this list of compatible devices will grow bigger.

If you have any questions and/or comments, please feel free to ask them here or contact me at ales.ulm (at) bistudio.com.

Cheers,

Ales

14. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Hi Ales

Are we limited to the four weapons available at the start or is there a way to unlock more?

15. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Thanks Ales! One request: an option to be able to rotate the screen between isometric views by rotating my fingers, rather than an onscreen button.

You guys have done a great job! Keep up the good work!

16. Ales7

Ales7 New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Right now there are only those four weapons available. In the second campaign (which is just about to be released as a free update) you will be able to equip silencers. Shortly after that we will release a package containing additional weapons as well as body armors.

17. Ales7

Ales7 New Member

Sep 9, 2013
    @Justin: unfortunately I cannot give you any ETA because we're still doing tests but we will definitely let you know once we know it can be done/how long it will take.

@Reydn: thanks for the suggestion, we'll definitely give it a try and if it works well, we will definitely add that :)

18. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Thanks for being active in the forums - I hope your iOS version is successful (from a financial standpoint-already is successful as a fun game)

Anyone have any general tips? I'm finding it a quite challenging game :)

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week nominee

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Arma Tactics was successfully nominated to be included in Game of the Week voting to occur over the next two days at the link below. Developers may not vote for their own games. New user votes subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=203287

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This gets my vote but doesn't look like its going to win :p