Universal Armed Combat - A fast paced Side-Scrolling Military Shooter (by Blayze Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nxtboyIII, Apr 2, 2015.

1. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Awesome new gameplay video showing off the hitmarker, blood effect around screen (when low health), and added death sounds! Make sure to watch with your volume up!

Please tell me your thoughts!

2. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I've got this for free but in the next month I'll buy it for sure cause I feel bad for you,mate,and since counterspy is not in Azerbaijan appstore.
    I'm just suggesting you to put both desert and snow map with all the same stuff into the single player and make an official trailer or something like that,oh and I think that grenades should be limited for both AI and the main character.

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I keep trying to play but the controls are just not fun. Also I have yet to hear what you plan to do about those of us who paid $3 to try out your first game. Certainly you could have thrown us an unlock or something. You've got to address the controls. I can see the game actually being really fun. Add an on screen analog stick on the right and make the dead zone so that you can touch it and the fire in the proper direction. The auto lock is absolutely not working. I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway I'm trying to help.

Billy

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Whoa, this game has serious issues. I new it did goin in and just had to give it a look at least, but my lord the frustration. Especially whn it seems like with maybe proper dual stick control there may be a lot of fun to be had here. Please man, make some changes for the love of God. Til then this one will idle.

5. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the comments. About the controls, how would you shoot then if it was dual stick? What if you just want to aim and not shoot at the same time?

6. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Touch an area outside of the analog stick or above it would allow you to look around.

Billy

7. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    So I should keep the way right now of aiming, but just change the fire button to an analog stick that shoots when you press it and also aims? Or what?

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Yes. Just set the dead zone a bit high on the stick so you can take your thumb and move it in the direction you want before you start shooting. It's going to be trial and error to get the dead zone just right. I will help you.

Billy

9. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    So, I'm not sure what you mean by "dead zone." Can you show me a picture or something? Sorry I don't understand :/

10. Solip:System

Solip:System Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2015
    hey, just catching up on this thread... I'm not a dev myself, but just did a quick google search and found this:
    http://www.third-helix.com/2013/04/12/doing-thumbstick-dead-zones-right.html

might be of some help? I dunno... anyway more feedback on the way.

11. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Thanks, that actually helps a lot! So basically aiming should work like, if you just move it around in the dead zone, you will only aim, but if you push it out of the dead zone, it will shoot (Like Doodle Army)?

12. Solip:System

Jan 31, 2015
    #32 Solip:System, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    no problem, glad to help… I haven’t played doodle army, so I’m not actually sure. like Lordshadowz said, there will be some trial and error, but it sounds like you’re looking at what is working in other games and that’s probably a good start. after reading this thread it seems like most of the issues have been pointed out already, but I might have something to add…

- The character turning backwards is not a problem for me, that doesn’t seem like a glitch at all, and you’ve clarified that this happens when you tap on the left side of the screen which aims him in that direction, so just tapping forward again points him the right way, and that seemed pretty obvious to me during gameplay… I guess there is some situation where an enemy might get behind you? so being able to turn around seems useful.

- and yes, moving all the main action buttons to the right side of the screen makes perfect sense. most people are right handed, so that is where you naturally want those buttons… but it sounds like that is something you have started to address in your update that hasn’t gone live? In terms of there not being enough room for buttons on the right, the fire button seems huge right now in comparison to everything else. having it a bit larger makes sense but right now its 3 times the size of the other buttons… you could probably even those out a bit.

- the auto aim feels jumpy and doesn’t seem to be working consistently, but just tapping the aim button before you fire seems to work reasonably well… however I find it hard to accurately hit that button in time, it might be a bit small, and even when it does work, having to hit it cuts into reaction time... but I guess that button might be gone soon anyway.

- the animations don’t bother me really, and I don’t think that or the art style is a major issue, but if I was going to nitpick about it, I’d just say the character movement looks a bit awkward, I've never fired a semi-automatic weapon while running so I’m not sure I can give you any advice on how to improve that… but maybe the lower body movement needs some work, he looks like he’s just swinging his legs, not running. and the backwards moonwalk is just kinda funny :) things also feel a little flat, but like I said, not bothering me much. maybe for your next game try a different style all together… I think about a game like Top Tank, which I guess is not totally dissimilar to your game, and probably half the reason people love that is just the visual style…

- and I think by "the ragdoll physics being a bit much", he means that its not necessary for the player to fly 200 feet when killed by a grenade…

anyway this is getting too long and that is all I got. so if you revamp the UI you could probably greatly improve this game, and it sounds like you’re already starting on that, so I’ll keep an eye out for any updates… also you might want to speed up backwards movement, as its currently almost impossible to back away from a grenade.

and thanks for the free game, I definitely appreciate that this is something you worked hard on, and you want to get it out there as much as possible, but I also empathize with people who paid for it only to see it price drop/ go free after like 10 days. but I see your point of view as well. you should definitely keep improving this game... there is always the next one too, and I’m sure you’re learning a lot from this.

13. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    4 price changes within 1 week of release... Lol you're probably breaking a record here. Dropping from $2.99 to $0.99 in just one day, what in the world? Then 0.99 to 1.99, then 1.99 to free. Sounds fishy enough to avoid. Also I'm sure you're doing a good job pissing off everyone who bought your app on day 1.

14. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Really sorry about that... This is my second app that I have been experimenting with too much. I now understand and will keep the price solid once I make it paid again.

Thanks

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I'm gonna get this when you raise the price again, I like a developer that is active and friendly.

16. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Thank you Based Xatu! :) Any suggestions once you get it would be great! :)

17. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    So I have been working on the aiming joystick, and I think I did it pretty well.

Joystick not shooting:
    [​IMG]

Joystick shooting:
    [​IMG]

Is that better than tapping on the screen to aim (It also fixes the turning around issue)?

Thanks, and have a nice day

18. Solip:System

Jan 31, 2015
    yeah man that looks like a huge improvement! I think that is basically what Lordshadowz was suggesting, and it looks like you have definitely been listening to the feedback… looking forward to trying this again now :)

19. nxtboyIII

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Thanks! :D Mind changing the review for the app (You don't have to haha it would just be nice :D)? :p Also, any other suggestions?

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Amen! Great job! This is exactly what I was saying. How do you like the analog stick? I can't actually wait to play with the new controls.

Thank you for listening to feedback.

Billy