Armed Heroes Online—— A Free 3D MMO RPG is coming

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Serena zhang, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Skillmaster19

Skillmaster19 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    its out in Canada and AU, make a Canada iTunes account to play :p

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

My support, and advice? Try to make a game where you don't steal everything from other more accomplished games. Developers like you are an embarrassment and only give bad names for foreign devs. Shame on you for copying this and trying to pass it off as your own. And shame on Apple letting this through. Hopefully they come to their senses and realize what has been done.

3. Skillmaster19

Skillmaster19 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    None of the assets are stolen... They just look alike. They may have similar themes and overall look to other games, but if you look at them the actual polygons and textures are different. No assets are taken. No rules against basing graphics off of others. Just look at order and chaos, their graphics ripped off of WoW

4. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    we can't customize our characters sex/face/body?

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#86 andsoitgoes, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    Seems others disagree, specifically the creators of torchlight and it has been mentioned here that some characters ARE direct copies of their work. So who do we trust here?

If nothing else this has piqued my interest in Torchlight, which I'll be trying tonight.

Outside of everything else, there seems to be a really STRANGE disparity in this game. The graphics are decent, but the translation is terrible. Not just a little terrible, but seriously terrible. The text editing fields are weirdly oriented, the password field isn't properly handled, you can play without creating an account and if you do, you lose all the progress you had up to this point. Translation, however, is one of the hardest stumbling blocks to get past, and with a quest oriented game like this, where you're supposed to create relationships, even superficial, with NPCs, it is that much harder to do when they butcher the English language.

But hey, it's free. The origin and owership of the assets is still questionable, though. As is the support for the previous game created by these devs.

6. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Torchlight is good fun and easy to get into. I'd buy it day one if it went ios.

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    looks to me that some assets were definitely ripped off :(

[​IMG]

8. Molando

Molando Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Some of those you could argue against, but with so many, and with around half of them looking next to exact, not good.

9. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    #90 knighthalo123, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    Dude who gives a crap? It's an iOS game, just because they copied some textures, who cares. It's not like they copied the gameplay of torchlight a diablo like game.

10. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    #91 jsrco, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    Just stop... if you read the main thread for this game you would know they copied more than a few textures. Which is just wrong period. There is no argument for that.

11. Castl3mania

Castl3mania Member

May 9, 2012
    Who the hell cares, i am enjoying this mmo now i have to worry of it getting pulled or shut down cause someones a little upset about textures or "cause it feels like torchlight"

12. Molando

Molando Member

Jul 4, 2010
    How about I take a book, scan it in, then reprint it with a new cover, but with my name on it? It's only the words. It's my paper and cover. I could mess the ending around a bit, add in a monkey, as all people like monkeys. Maybe rename a characters or two.

How about I sell it in a country that the original book was not published? The original author would not have had sales there, so why should I not make money from their work?

Maybe not the best analogy, but close enough.

If the assets have been stolen, then altered, then something should be done about it.

I am off to write a book called: 50 hues of off-white.

13. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I for one care, being a game developer myself. If I found someone had not only made a game similar to mine (which is common and generally acceptable) but had actually copied assets to look exactly like mine, I'd be pissed as hell. It's ethically wrong and illegal. Unfortunately many countries (particularly Asian ones) don't have the same copyright laws we do, so they get away with this type of stuff all the time. Even so far as making stores that look just like Apple stores, selling products that look just like Apple products (not anymore - they got shut down). There's a reason we have copyright laws. It's important to protect people's creations. Otherwise nothing has any value (and I'm not talking about just monetary value).

I was pretty excited about this game. But now that I know what the devs have done, I have no intentions of supporting them. I have plenty of other great games made by devs with integrity.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's actually a pretty poor analogy. Armed Heroes plays little like Torchlight: to begin with, it's an MMO, which Torchlight is not.

The best analogy I can think of is a comic book artists that uses stolen character designs to tell a completely different story. It's reprehensible, but it doesn't mean that the offending work has no value.

As I mentioned in the main thread, there is a possibility that the copying is the work of freelancers and not intended by the main developers. It has happened before, and to folks who are beloved around TA. That doesn't get the developer/publisher off the hook, but it does leave open the possibility that the game could return with new assets (it would also mean that the developer was swindled, which makes it another victim of this fiasco). Time will tell.

15. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Actually Torchlight MMO is coming out very soon, so they're probably trying to bank on that. That aside, the devs have no excuse, even if the art was made by contractors. A developer would review all assets as they're being produced. And if they don't, and they didn't know until they were done, then that's their own fault. There's simply no reason the art should be that close to another game's art.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Do the terms "That doesn't get the developer/publisher off the hook..." mean anything to you ;).

I am not arguing that they developer isn't at fault. But from a moral/ethical perspective there is a difference between them being remiss and being willfully deceptive. As I mentioned, a very similar thing happened to someone I (and most likely you) respect. In the end they fired the offending artists and paid to have the stolen assets redone. If the AH developers do the same, I'm okay with welcoming them back into the fold (assuming tha they were incompetent and not actual thieves).

17. GrimbyBECK

GrimbyBECK New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    simplified

As the AD for Runic Games and Torchlight I can tell you what it appears to be regarding 3D models.
    1- Start with our actual art assets.
    2- They did a Mesh Optimize to drop the poly count and retain the UVs.
    3- In some cases they did very minor alterations to the texture, some not at all.

This isn't a case of making a brand new model *look* like ours. This is taking our models and reducing polycount.

This isn't an "homage" :)
    This isn't "a similar style".
    This is theft of actual assets with a verrrry lazy attempt to disguise it.

And that's not even counting the level assets, sound effects, or font.
    Or the other games they pinched assets from.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Nobody is arguing any of those things. There are folks who simply don't care, but their opinion is worthless.

If they stole other "level assets" (whatever those may be) and sound effects, then there is simply no getting around the fact that we're dealing with thieves, not incompetent managers. Of course, this is the first we've heard of that accusation (as well as them stealing from "other games" so far unnamed). Considering that you are an interested party here (rightly so) you may want to be more specific about the additional charges.

I have to say, I find it very strange that the developer of AH would think that they could get away with such an extensive pilfering of assets. Outside of the stolen assets, developing an
    MMO is a significant investment. It is bizarre that they would gamble it all on the off-chance that no one would notice their theft.

19. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    As I said, Asian companies don't have the same reservations or laws about theft/copyright infringement we do. And judging by the Chinese name and broken English of the Dev who started the thread, I would guess the company is Chinese.

Now if their contracted artists stole the assets and the devs really didn't know/didn't recognize the art, I could understand, but I highly doubt that's the case. I doubt we'll see any changes in the game. The only thing I could see happening is Runic games talking to apple about it and apple pulling the game. My understanding is international litigation is mostly a lose lose situation unfortunately (for the victim; of course it's a bonus to the perp).