Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    It looks great on Retina iPads. Not *everything is fully Retina, but many bits are.

2. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Jnt325, glad that you are a fellow TA member. I rarely follow a Mechana strategy - but realised that in previous games, I lost due to failing behind on off-board honour. The Mechana cards flipped for me - inc Hedron Cannon and I was fortunate in that there was no trade-off in deciding to go Mechana or buy another card.

Excellent game, CurryMutton in your favour 66-71. It was touch and go because I reviewed your cards and then my own on the final turn, and realised that I had no real off-board honour cards (all 1-2 value cards). Unusual (at least for me) to see two completely different strategies play out in the base game.

I hear you re: number of async games and trying to remember cards and strategy. I only have 3-4 games at one time that is is enough for me!

I have read the Nightfall thread and am on the fence about picking it up. Think it would work better as a physical board-game - or at least 4-5 players playing a real-time game. Besides, I need to finish Avadon and kickstart my Chinese study in my spare time.

In terms of Ascension expansion packs, which one would you recommend out of RoF and SoS? It seems that a lot of people play SoS. Do you play SoS as a standalone game or with the base-game and RoF?

3. Strangiato

Strangiato Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Deck summary was added to Nightfall in the first update back in May. Tapping on your draw pile will bring up the display (pretty much the same as with Ascension).

4. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    @ RiotGirl Enjoyed the live end of our game. If you happen to catch me on, I'm happy to play live unless I'm in the middle of something. Your moves are very well thought out. I think you'll love the expansions. :)

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    How could I have missed that? (in R. Castle mode)

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #3206 currymutton, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    I would say all. :)

If the choice is limited., I would say try RotF first. The rich monster set is the best of the 3. I cannot help but feel the set in SoS is pale cousin of CoGS. My $.02.

Yup, you should try the Promo pack too -- this means buying all in bundles saves, iirc. :p

P.s. I guess it is hard to do, but a replay feature would be very nice.

P.P.S. 5-point win is taken as luck in my book. I will play better this game. Turn sent.

7. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Great game with WoP, he/she manages to cut the off-table score difference that makes me sweat. I barely win by a small margin.

(not to mention I have lost a couple of 40+ games lately)

8. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Ugh. Getting crushed by jnt325 because as the game is progressing, I'm buying cards that are not helping towards honour, and neither are really working to help me control my board or deck!

Made a rookie mistake with techwtr this turn. Never play Two-fold Askara ad your first card =\. Playing one's turn when one just wakes up is never a good idea. Should be savoured over a cup of tea and coffee. Best to wait for the other player's turn to be played out, examine their log, your cards and the board, remember your strategy, finish card evaluation and then make your turn.

Still too early in my game with currymutton, although it is always disheartening when one's card filtering still cannot entirely remove those damn militia. Another aspect of the game that you have to try and minimise re: card draws.

The 3P game I'm playing with curry mutton and ruthP27 is interesting. My card choices are more 2 player i.e. centre board heroes. Curry mutton and the other player are focusing more on Mystics and Heavy Infantry. I'm guessing because with 3 players, the board can change too much before your turn. That said, I picked up Fly-trap Witch (2 honour every-time played and draw 1 card); however, Arbiter is a dead card if it cannot filter out those militia quickly - 4 for 1 off-game honour is expensive, and I question it's effectiveness in a 3-4 player game.

In short, need to think before I make my turn, try to retain focus on my strategy (desperately needed in my game with jnt325) and less rushed card evaluation.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Ok. If you don't have this yet, first of all, WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU? Second, it's free now! Get it. Now. Seriously.

10. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    +1!!

11. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Been wanting to try it, but wasn't sure I would "get it," so I've held off. Glad it's gone free so I can give it a go.

12. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Any fan of card games must give this a try.

13. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    (cough) Any fan of game should give it a try!

(Sorry, the game art is not an excuse of not playing)

I just manage to lure a friend into this by telling him it is free now. Next thing he says he is immersed even he has not finished the tutorial! (The tutorial is one of the best out there, btw)

I dropped him 2 tips:

Flow Control; and
    Central Row Management

and he says he needs time to practice before facing fellow human.

Expect to see him soon in Ascension Anonymous... :D

14. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #3214 Riotgirl, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    Apologies that my games have been erratic, both in time when I actually play and the quality of my play. Curry mutton is murdering me in our game - my strategy was confused, couldn't develop a power game and my deck could not get going (badly needs filtering, better flow).

I lost 76-61. A beating, although I was surprised that it wasn't much, much worse!

Good lord! To my surprise, managed to turn around the game and beat jnt325 86-79. I think it was down to the last few turns and killing the Wind Tyrant 3 honour and power - allows you to keep buying). Also, towards the end, I maximised off-board purchases. Still surprised because it was looking ominous mid-game due to jnt325's Mechana strategy.

15. Izaya

Izaya Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    8th Grade lol
    Behind You
    I love this game and now I'm addicted never bought it sense I was afraid it would be something dumb and confusing, but wow! I'm certainly gonna spend my money on the expansions for the cards and to show my support.

16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Be carefully fellas, twit is very much too easy to get an addiction to it!

17. Rarak

Rarak Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Still my most played ipad game

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Not to mention it is the very first game I tap when I use my iPads...

Starting an Ascension Anonymous, anyone?

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Now you are painting a picture of me bullying newbies, which I just want to play with fellow enthusiasts :D ...

20. PallaZ

PallaZ Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    currently I'm waiting for the immortal heroes addon and the lot of promo cards. i hope they will add this content!