Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I downloaded Ascension after it went free the other day and hadn't really played it as its tutorial put me off. When I did eventually grind through it, I found a fun and short game that I so enjoyed that I downloaded the expansions.

My one sentence tutorial of Ascension for fellow newbies: triangle points lets you get cards, circle points lets you kill cards and the player with the most star points is the winner. Now go play. :)

What does Promo Pack 1 do? So far I have only encountered the Rat King and his obvious effect, but don't seem to have seen any of the other cards or enhancements in that set.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Check the card library and you'll see all of the cards in the promo pack. There are some fun cards in there.

3. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Love to see this game getting a renaissance. I added a few games a couple weeks ago and have been having the best experiences with it so far.

It's just such a great pick up n' play game.

After over 3000 online games I'm still highly entertained.

I still haven't quite figured out how to win regularly at 3 or 4 player games though.. My win/loss with 2 player is 1704/928

But I'm at like 14/30 with 3 player...

4. smj

smj Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I wish this game had a campaign mode so badly. It would be cool to have the solo variation rules in this too.

5. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Can someone explain what soul gem do in the immortal heroes expansion? I've googled it but I still don't really grasp what they do, how you use them.

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #3226 currymutton, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    I am waiting for Riotgirl to "blog" her first victory against me here, good work! :D (sorry for the typo)

I have the following MP going on lively

Ascension
    Carcassonne
    Battle of Bulge
    Fluxx
    Nightfall
    Battle Academy
    Letterpress
    Lost Cities (an underdog)

Ascension still provides the most fun.

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #3227 Riotgirl, Dec 19, 2012
    How the hell did I win that 3P game? I thought you had won with your last turn Avatar of the Fallen, then picking up the Hedron Cannon. In the end it was 64-34-67.

I changed tactics halfway through as I realised that you have little centre board management in 3P. Thus, you need other methods of scoring honour points e.g. Yggdrasil staff, Flytrap Witch, etc. Also, I observed your and Ruth's play in the first half of the game and you need a method of snap power i.e. Hero and/or Construct because of the lack of control of the centre board. Not to mention off-board honour (mechana).

For what it's worth, I didn't enjoy the 3P game compared to the 2P game, because the centre board changes too fast and the luck factor ramps up. Will play one more 3P game, then stick to 2P.

Note: techwrt brutally murdered me by 20 points. /sigh Also, played a thrilling live game with jnt325. I just won 78-71. Really edgy and tense.

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Well as I mentioned, and Camzy said way earlier, honour-snatching cards like Yggdrasil Staff, and cards giving you extra cards are very powerful in 3P games, unlike 2P ones.

9. jnt325

jnt325 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Yeah that live game with riotgirl was a great one. Thought I was doing well early on but you flipped it pretty quickly on me. I'm on a massive cold streak - gotta figure out how to turn it around! Is anyone picking up the penny arcade game tonight?

10. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Definitely going for Penny Arcade. :)

11. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #3231 Riotgirl, Dec 19, 2012
    You had me seriously worried with the first turn Twofold Askara. I had to go Mystics due to the high value cards (all 5s) - it was then a case of (a) who would be first, and (b) card evaluation. I chose Watchmakers Altar for the off-board honour (and denying it to you), then I chose Ascetic of the Lidless Eye over my favourite Flytrap Witch. I figured that the extra card was worth more at the beginning - for flow - than the 2 honour.

The cards that were crucial were Rocket Courier X-99 (put a Mechana Construct immediately into play) and Hedron Link Device (treat all Constructs as Mechana). Hence, towards end of the game I was able to snag All-Seeing Eye and Tablet of Time's Dawn and put them into play immediately. To be honest, pure luck with Hedron Link Device because I've seen the card so rarely that I actually forgot its affect! The game actually warned me about adding the All-Seeing Eye to my discard pile!

Prior to that, I cursed inwardly when you picked up Martha Dartha (combined with Twofold Askara and ...).

Where I felt the game may have slipped from you was your card evaluation towards the end. I noticed that you choose the extra 1 honour from killing cultists than a 3P Monster. I felt this may have been a mistake because you allowed me the chance for the honour and the card ability. Also, your purchases of both Mechana Initiates and Rex on the same turn, whereas I would have used your Yggdrasil staff ability instead.

That is the beauty of the game, and this one in particular. Each round was nervous, tense with difficult card evaluation decisions. Each person evaluates the situation differently with 'what ifs'. I certainly disagree with criticism that Ascension is just luck or just pick the highest value card from the centre board.

You really played well. It was hard fought and competitive every single nerve-wracking round!

I have rematches with both currymutton and techwrtr in my 2P games. Normal service i.e. where I receive a beating, will no doubt resume ;)

12. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    @Riotgirl

Let's play! You've intrigued me. I'll add you and invite.

13. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    On a winning streak at the moment 76-61 vs currymutton and 87-69 (or something like that) vs jnt325. However, normal service re: a loss, will resume in my match with techwrtr.

@jnt325, some of your card evaluation choices do not always help with the flow of your deck. Also, something I've learned (or at least, have a better appreciation) is card evaluation at different stages and/or complexion of centre board.

Note: if it is any consolation, in one of our first games we played, one of your plays caused me to scream an expletive, thump my iPad and hurl it across my coffee table, to the shock and consternation of my girlfriend!

That said, yet again I made a complete hash of Two-Fold Askara! Fortunately, it was during the 3P game - and not a recent 2P game!

These rematches will be my last for some time. I'm taking an hiatus from Ascension since my substitute girlfriend should arrive tomorrow [Xbox 360] whilst my girlfriend is still in China for another 1 and a half weeks.

14. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Damn techwrtr crushed me 97-72. An humiliating defeat. Couldn't get any on-board honour whatsoever.

Once these last games play out, I'm switching to my Xbox 360 for a while. Put in 12 hours into Mass Effect over the weekend.

15. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Heh I got seriously owned last night by Emos - something like 143 to 64? He just got on a major role, especially with two tower askaras and two elemental adepts (I think with the elemental event too). So many cards each turn! Pretty sure that was my worst defeat ever.

16. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah that was one of those rare times where everything just seems to 'click'! Believe me I've been on the receiving end of a God Deck too ;)

17. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Congratulations Emos! That is truly an ass-whopping that you handed out ;) What expansions did you play!

Still playing base game CoTG and it is still fun, fun, fun!

Finished the 2nd 3P and it was a very tight affair, which currymutton won 53-54-57 (Ruth came 2nd, and I came last). My Two-Fold Askara snafu came back to haunt me. One more 3P rematch, then a break whilst I focus on completing other games, then I'll buy the SoS expansion.

18. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I own all of the expansions plus the promos. I love the SoS expansion, the new events add a lot of flavor to the game and quite a few of the cards combo well together. I'm a huge proponent of deck cycling and trimming and there are many cards in SoS that provide those functions.
    I haven't played the base game alone for quite some time but I'm always happy to add another enthusiastic player to my queue! GC: Emos if you want to send me an invite :)

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Isn't it about time we got Immortal Heroes? I bet we get Tank on Tank first.

20. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    How long has Immortal Heroes been out in physical form? If I recall they usually wait a year (or until a new expansion gets ready to be released) for the iOS version to give the physical version time to sell. Not that I agree with it but I understand their reasoning...

EDIT: Tank on Tank sounds interesting too!