Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    No, actually, you're living up to your screen name ;) He means multitasking in the sense that if you get a call, you lose your progress in the game. The opposite has become standard since os 4.

2. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    #142 STYJ, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    Lite version out ! :) time to try it .

Edit : i must say , it looks very very crisp on my iPod 4G .

tried it , grasped it on my first tutorial . It was actually pretty fun ! But is there some kind of strategy to it ? Because just now , I won 97 to 53 but say , when I had to choose one card to banish from the center , I didn't know which to choose because I don't know which would benefit me or the enemy .

And regarding the placing of cards on the field , we should be doing it 1 by 1 in with some sort of order / strategy right ? Instead of usin the place all button .

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    AI weak? Well the best I can go adainst 1-on-1 against orange AI is a draw -- it happened to not having high point cards.

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I am playing the lite and the green AI is rather dull, but this was known.
    However, I am not always clear what my opponent is doing. It s kind of too fast for figuring out. In all other games I played it was clearer.
    This is quite a negative point as the game feels almost like q solitaire becauseif that.

5. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    The full version has a lot of options including the option to slow down both the game play and and the game animation. You can inspect the log file to see what just happened... not sure if the lite offers this functionality.

I slowed everything down in the beginning to understand what was happening... but now have the speed options set to FAST and really enjoy it that way.

Of course YMMV.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I play it on FAST for the gameplay as well and while this causes me to miss a lot of the specific actions in a turn, I'll often check the players' log or construct collections when I think there was something off I missed.

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Great. Can slow down at least to start with.
    One thing I fail to understand .... Once the honours are finished I get extra points from the cards .... Tpfrom the number of from their associated honours.

Btw first match with low lvl AI I won something like 74 to 43

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Alsowhy would I banish a card from my hand or pile?

9. Baronic

Baronic Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Grrrr don't people know how to go to menu and game list and play more than one game at a time,

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Sometimes you collect cards because of their honor points or because you don't have the points to get anything.

However that card doesn't really fit into your strategy, so you might want to banish a card to increase the efficiency of your deck.

A good example is if you get Oziah the Peerless (Kill any monster with attack 6 or less) early in the game. Trim the "fat" and Oziah will appear more often, start grabbing cards that allow you to draw from the deck and you can garuntee he appears every 2-3 turns.

The downside is that in the endgame scoring your deck size matters so don't go crazy with banishing ;)

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I tend to go for my apprentices as my first line banishments. Most of the cards I acquire will create more than 1 point of rune and, like the militia, apprentices have no honor point value for the end of game tally. This being said, if you hadn't already purchased SEVERAL Mystics to compensate for this loss, be careful.

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I had asked about this on a different forum. Realize that your starting cards don't give honor at the end of the game, so banish away!

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I tend to banish Militia first since I focus on Runes to acquire heros I need the Heavy to appear more often to try and get a few kills when I can.

It's definitely a tactic of the mindful because you can easily screw up the flow of your resources if you aren't paying attention.

Banishing to cycle a powerful hero into your hand is less technical and can be potentially rewarding since you would be getting lots of honor points for each kill... that being said, even a moderately good player will start banishing high power monsters to stop your killing spree pretty quickly. I've won a few games by doing that and adjusting quickly to deck building once they shut me down. ;)

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    But what if I do not banish any card?
    The only effect is that more cards gets shuffled when the dock is finished.

Btw for people on the fence ... Try the lite and fall in love. I prefer this on Orion 1/2.

15. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Yes, but this reduces your odds of getting those good cards you've paid for in earlier turns. They'll be stuck in the deck with those eight apprentices you no longer really need in the endgame.

16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I know. I just wanted to be sure I was not missing any other side effect

17. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Ah, I see.

No, other than maintaining a lean deck, I can't think of another reason to banish.

18. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #158 abstractgamefreak, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    Downloading it now... As I got both an iPad and a Touch 2G, I will check it out.

***Update: Played it for about 10 min. on my 2G (iOs 4.21, 16GB) - no problems so far. But the display is almost too tiny to be comfortable (ok, I played the demo on my iPad, so I'm probably spoiled). Nevertheless, as I usually do not carry my iPad around, I'll be happy to play on the iPod Touch instead on my way to work.

19. Agitator Academia

Agitator Academia Active Member

Mar 19, 2010
    A sound review of the physical game from BGG

here's a video review from a well respected critic in the board game biz.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/3136/ascension-chronicle-of-the-godslayer/dice-tower-reviews-ascension

I can't help but agree. I do enjoy the game and the simplicity of it. It's more Tactical than Strategic (turn by turn decisions worth more than an overarching strategy) and to add my own input - it's a great alternative until we get Dominon on the iOS.

Eh? EH?! Dominon?! Someone make this happen... (only problem you'd run in to is asynchronous play like in Catan - what do you do when you have to interact with another player?)

AA

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Banishing from the central row can be a neat way of pulling a, "If I can't have it nobody can!" to some cool card your afraid could get in enemy hands.