Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sanuku, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Having just watched this gameplay video, I'm not sure what I think about this game. For the most part, the gameplay does look excellent and I've been wanting a proper pirate adventure game since Sid Meier's Pirates!

However, the more I see of this game, the more I hate the fact that this is an Assassin's Creed game. In my opinion this game should be stripped of all the assassin gameplay mechanics and more of a focus should be put into exploration, trading, melee combat etc. And then there's probably going to be all the sci-fi bullshit which has always annoyed me in Assassin's Creed games.

I won't completely dismiss this game yet, but from what I've seen it strikes me as a cash grab and a missed opportunity. Feel free to disagree.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Too soon.

3. corvo attono

corvo attono Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2012
    a mess with an hour credits

4. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Aaaaaaaand it's out. Anyone who has it already have any opinions?

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I got to play a short demo at a local con and while before I was lukewarm to the game, I actually like the ship part.

That said, I still haven't finished Revelations nor even started AC3, so I'm not looking at a day-1-purch anyway. Still, I liked what I glimpsed.

6. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    The game actually looks really good from a stand-alone point of veiw, but really? An AC game?

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm in agreement with the "shouldn't be an AC game" people. Just posted this on Kotaku:

Nevertheless... the pirate stuff looks tempting enough for me to want it. It'll probably look amazing on my PS4 too.

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #28 The Bat Outta Hell, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    I disagree. The Animus stuff was really mysterious and interesting in the first and second games, but when they killed off Lucy with no clear explanation as to why, it started to get pretty convoluted. I'd rather have them make a more interesting and focused present day story than just drop it completely. It just needs to be less of an afterthought.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Even though the first AC equated to a series of repetitious mini games and was largely a chore, the setting and time zone would have been by far my favourite.