Universal Assassin's Creed Pirates - (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Any redeeming qualities?

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Um. It has pirates?

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Soooo what.. one, maybe two impressions here? The rest bashing a game they haven't played? Anyone else have impressions after playing? Don't be afraid to post if you enjoyed your experience with the game...

4. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    It's ok but very low quality. Looking through Ubisofts iOS collection it appears they haven't realised the ipod is capable of running high quality games not the shit they're spewing out! Give us a proper Assassins Creed game and stop shovelling out low grade tat!

5. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I have to second this request, it would be nice to have some actual impressions on the game. And yes, I understand this isn't an actual Assassins Creed game, but let's move past that please.

6. Enigmatical

Enigmatical New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Honest opinion?

Outside of all the unnecessary bashing in this thread, I'm actually enjoying the game - in short bursts.

I choose a location on the map and head to it - the main objective is usually simple, but the secondary objectives do add some difficulty such as avoiding patrolling ships, completing in a time frame, and avoiding damage.

I would say the story is beyond childish (the main character's opening arc is laughable) and I really wish the dodge mechanic was more involved, but there does appear to be a lot to do and from just skimming the menus, you can grow to be quite powerful.

Plus, it is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm torn between three and four stars. The narrative is really bad, especially given how likable the main character in AC IV is. But holding into the wheel of your ship and piloting it feels really good.

7. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    This game looks very repetitive, but most of the impressions are that it is simple and repetitive, but fun and great graphics.........Difficult to make up my mind, but I am not on IOS7 yet, so that helps a lot.

8. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Repetitive? I guess we can't expect too much from a EA production. They've totally ruined many titles already.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Ubisoft. :)

10. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Completly agree with this review, only im between 4or5 stars :p the game is fun on izs own way and gorgeus, even on 4s. In waiting for god fire and impolsion this fills the gap for now. Thats my opinion. Good game

11. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I greatly appreciate your review. It looks like a pretty decent game to me, although I was hoping for a tad more depth. Judging from Sanuku video, steering the ship with the sound effects and all looks quite satisfying! It appears to be a game that offers just enough to be fun and like you said better in shorter burst.

12. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Thank you good sir for your impressions.

13. LastNinja64

LastNinja64 Member

Dec 6, 2013
    I was really impressed by the graphics. The water effect is amazing and the game looks great on my iPhone 5. I also liked that you can pilot the ship in first person or look at the ship from behind.

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #94 ScotDamn, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Thanks for your review. Out of curiosity, As I haven't played it yet, but how does the game suffer from an identity crisis? Are you referring to the AC name in the title or is it something else about the game? Also what device did you play it on? Would you say you don't like the game because you were hoping for something else but was let down or that the game is just that bad?

I'm a firm believer that quality graphics can only enhance good game play. However I also believe quality/engaging game play doesn't have to be really deep either if executed well enough. I'm not saying this is executed well, I'm just still intrigued for some reason.

Edit: Also I watched a bit of the video and there seems to be more to the game then just battles. Can anyone clarify what there is to do in the game? There seemed to be upgradable shipmates and some sort of loot to obtain?

15. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    This would have done better as a console version advertising tool...if you have an xbox or playstation, i suggest you get that instead.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This game is stupidly fun and this whole thread has been blown out of proportions. If you like VIDEO GAMES, get it. Sheesh...

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I can barely make up my mind about getting it or not becuase people are like freaking out lol

18. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Get it if you like something that looks pretty, but is insanely shallow. Get it if you do not want a challenge, and hate the chance of dying. Get it if you thought Infinity Blade was too complicated and you want something that has left, right and center buttons for all fights as the only option.

It looks and sounds nice. And it is fun in extremely short bursts. But there is no challenge and a lot of repetition with no change through the whole game.

Anyways it is not that expensive, and you might enjoy it in short bursts. Some of the sailing rallies are fun as well (especially after having completed the game, when the difficulty is upped a bit). And who knows maybe the coming update makes it a tiny bit challenging. :)

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Pocketgamer's preview made it sound like the game was going to be total crap...they ended up giving it a 7/10. It also got a 4/5 from 148apps. The game's nowhere near perfect, but if you have no preconceived expectations and no problems putting aside the fact that this isn't the Assassin's Creed you know and love...there's SO ****ING MUCH to like about this game.

20. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #100 Leegames, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Yes. Metalcasket please tell us. I wanted to like this, but do you think there is any kind of challenge or anything that makes you love this? If so what? I am really curious as well.

I found it boring and repetitive. I never died once. I decided to give death a try after completing the game, to see what would happen, and it was just a "restart mission" prompt. So why not up the challenge?

I am curious as currently my review is the lowest ranking on Metacritic. And the sites giving it 8/10 are saying stuff like: "The missions can feel a little bit easy and overly repetitive"... and... "A big silly game full of repetitive combat and simple missions". How is that a score that high? Do we really demand that little from iOS gaming?