Universal Assassin's Creed Pirates - (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Hate this game there is no tutorial!

2. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Because it is supposed to be an Assassin's Creed game and it is developed by Ubisoft (automatically add 1-2 bonus points). Repetitive.....but fun? I have seen a lot of similar comments on IOS games lately. This is probably a nice way to say that the game is alright, but doesn't live up to expectation. Should be more like 6.5-7 out of 10......according to the content of the reviews....gameplay should be given more weight than graphics, past record of the franchise/ developer.

3. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Don't know what game you're playing. The first battle is nothing but instructions and the whole game holds your hand through its entirety. Are you sure you even know what a tutorial is?

4. chickaber

chickaber Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Aperture Laboratories
    Does this have any sort of cloud system?

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I know I feel like the odd man out, but I actually like this game so far. Yea, it probably woulda been better without the AC title and just a stand alone pirate game, but it's not rood bad of a game. Although, I'm playing it on an iPod 5G and the graphics look kind of bad IMO. I'm gonna try it on my iPad 2 and see if it's any better looking. I'm sure it looks beautiful on a newer iPad though.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I never said I love it. ;)

The Last of Us was a game I fell in love with. I got so emotionally attached to Ellie and couldn't get the game out of my head for months...but my God was the gameplay repetitive. God of War is my favorite game series of all time (next to Mortal Kombat), but we're what? 2000 games in now? They're all the ****ing same! Kratos...again?!?!??! Does that make me love them any less? Nope. Why? 'coz they're fun.

I came into this (Pirates) expecting nothing. I watched a minute of Sanuku's "trailer" a moment after reading the Pocketgamer review (...yes, that's how many shits I gave about the game prior to reading the review) and was like "WOAH~! DIS LEWKS FUN!" I threw $6 or however much it ****ing cost on Android at Ubisoft and I'm still here...like 5 days later, bouncing in and out of the game whenever I have time off work, and I still feel captivated by those open seas, how gorgeous the game looks, I still smile whenever my crew breaks into song and yes...the repetitive battles are still fun when you're not trying to play the game as a console game.

It's a fun game! It's 4 dollars! It has no IAPs! It has light RPG elements! It's tied to the Assassin's creed series! IT HAS MOTHER****ING PIRATES! This isn't me expecting too little from an iOS game...it's people expecting too much.

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Although I think your entire post was meaningful, I wanted to highlight what I thought might be happening with AC: Pirates. If the AC name wasn't in the title, I believe the game might have received a much warmer reception here at TA. Everywhere else, people are loving it, while admitting a bit repetitive. And that's fine, as long as they executed it well and is fun. In my eyes it doesn't have to be a super in depth RPG, it just needs to be enjoyable. I think your post helped tip me over. Plus I'm tired of wondering, I'll cave. Sometimes it's better that way. :D

Arrrgggh matey!

8. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This game reminds me of an 80's action flick: slick, fun, and dumb. And like those movies, it's something you'll enjoy more if you don't go in expecting too much. It probably helps that I never played a console AC game before, so all I was expecting was pirates and good graphics.

9. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    The game have great reviews but fellow TA users don't like it.

Guess i'll just skip this one

10. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    After reading all this I just had to download for myself (I mean it's $5...)
    Glad I purchased - enjoying it a lot. So thanks MetalCasket for interjecting. I agree, it's a good little game. If u want console quality gameplay go buy a PS4 and crank some black flag. It's a delightful romp.

planck

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I actually couldn't get into Sids Pirates even though I should have loved it. I think the dancing turned me off of it. :p I should give it another shot though.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    :) This post makes me happy.

13. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    ^This,^

^This,^

and ^This.^

The game honestly doesn't appeal to me, as it looks a bit too repetitive and the whole "dancing pirate ship" dodge system looks a bit ridiculous tbh.

That said, I find it hard to believe that the game couldn't be enjoyed by anyone, but the AC moniker just doesn't seem like a great idea, as it automatically sets peoples' minds in an unproductive way.

It sounds like people who bought it are in fact enjoying it much the way it appears the developers intended it to be enjoyed, as a shiny diversion with a skin that many will find appealing, but it's clearly not AC, and I'm not even sure that matters in the end.

DBC

14. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This pretty much sums it up. I initially passed due the over-simplified gameplay; having no prior AC experience, that had no bearing on my decision. After "walking the plank", I still think the game is over-simplified and much too repetitive. But it's also a shiny new toy that happens to be a lot of fun to play with.

I truly believe that if this game was released by an indie studio, without the AC tag, people would be enjoying this far more for what it is. But instead this game is being criticized for what it isn't.

To be clear, my rating would be 3 1/2 stars.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    After watching the touchgameplay video, I was all fired up to buy Assassin's Creed Pirates. Clicked buy on the App Store, but it said iOS 7 only.

iPadWondersWhyUbisoftDoesNotWantHisMoney...

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I usually don`t quote myself but...

17. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Ha ha ha! :D

18. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #118 iPadisGreat, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Downloading...

Download size: 512MB
    Installed size: 558MB

19. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    13 pages later... Uhm... OK? :confused:

DBC

20. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I did not have iOS 7.0.4 installed on my iPad 2 before this.

Assassin's Creed Pirates is great. It reminds me of Crackdown on the XBox 360 with all the different missions and has 360 level graphics. Instant pick up and play game.