Universal Astronot by Wade McGillis

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mguniverse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've just given the lite version a shot... loving it so far. I'm completely lost, but I must have passed about 5-6 optional pathways before I got where I am now, so there's certainly enough to explore. The graphics are nostalgic as hell to me and I wouldn't change them one bit, but it's clear some people don't share the same feelings so you might lose a few sales on that point... but screw them, stick to your vision.

Oh, and the controls are spot on using my iPod Touch, I sense some pixel perfect jumping may be required later on and I'm confident I'll be able to pull that off.

2. wademcgillis

wademcgillis Active Member

I uh... don't have enough money to buy a bunch of iOS devices, so I only have one that supports iCloud. Sorry you can't transfer the saves at the moment. If the game sells enough, I'll be able to purchase a 3rd gen iPad and add iCloud support in the future.

This is due to the player sprite being 6x8 and the hitbox being 8x8. I tried changing more than halfway into development, but it broke a lot of things so I changed it back.

Sorry.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I vote for keeping the one-hit deaths, if I'm not dying enough, it's not nostalgic enough ;)

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I was actually referring to the ability to load your save from the lite version. Wondered if that could also work for loading a save from the full version on one device to the full version on another. I guess not?

5. wademcgillis

Yes, loading your save file(s) from the Lite version is possible on the same device. I'd need to add iCloud support for different devices, and I already explained why I can't do that at the moment.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I am really sick and tired of living in the country that is dead last on release day every week!!!

7. wademcgillis

I'm the developer and it's worse for me because everyone else in the world gets to play my game (without the use of redeem codes) before I can!

8. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    No, you have beta copies, I'm going boomdeyadda cold turkey! Seriously though it must be like having a child that everyone gets to see before you do. Only a half hour to go! Be strong!

9. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    good luck the game looks great. I'll be grabbing it for sure.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

I'm just going to say, the more I play this, the more I am coming across highly questionable design decisions which adversely affect the overall experience. Since the dev's response is likely to again be "sorry," I'm not going to waste my time going into details. Try the lite, decide for yourself I guess. My advice though would be play the lite as far as it will let you. (I don't know how far that is.)

11. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Out in US!

12. wademcgillis

Not every iOS developer has tons of money and is able to purchase one of every Apple device that comes along. I can't afford another iOS 5 capable device at this time, which would allow me to add inter-device save transfer.

The game was designed to be like old retro games.
    - Plenty of those games had one hit kill hazards like the lava pools in this game.
    - Plenty of those games didn't have pixel perfect collision detection. The hitbox of the jumpy things is 8x8. If I made it smaller, then you wouldn't be able to hit them as easily as you can now.

About the buttons: I've seen far too many complaints about iOS as a platform for games because the players' fingers cover up the gameplay. That's why the buttons are part of an external overlay. The buttons are large because of complaints about the size of buttons on iOS devices due to the small screens. Too many people have large fingers and I didn't want my game to have buttons where users would have to buy "sandpaper, so that users can file down their fingers so they can use them."

I designed the game to be old-styled, and fix some problems that people had with other iOS games.

I'm sorry you made a bad purchase, but there's a lite version for a reason.

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #53 djflippy, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Cry moar n00b, it's L_A_V_A.

Definitely worth 2 bucks; skip the lite.

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Just downloaded the full version and am looking forward to playing more tonite.

I have one suggestion/request—the ability to mute the bleepy music but keep the sound effects. If that option conflicts with the retro vibe you're going for, I understand.

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    this game is pretty rad - music definitely gives the vibe of original metroid which is GREAT. gameplay reminds me of metroid too but with more colecovision style graphics. definitely a good dose of retro going on here.
    I'm actually not sure what the hell I'm doing in the game. This is going to sound crazy, but one of those game booklets like they used to have with the NES cartridges would be amazing to go with this. even if it was crappy hand drawn artwork saying what things were it would be good.
    great job - I hope this does well for you!

16. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Loving this! Only played for half an hour or so yet..

I like the lack of tutorial/etc, myself. Nice and mysterious, like it should be. So much explorin' to do! Also love how the buttons aren't on top of the game window.

"Glitchy" video mode makes it impossible, can't see a thing. (haven't tried playing it in the dark though)

And yeah as someone said, the controls and movement feel excellent. <3

17. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Loving it, played about 15 minutes of the lite and now switching over to full. Two things I'd love to see is a full screen option with transparent buttons for us dingy old farts with bad eyes and checkpoints. I'll live and love without either of those but just stating a preference. Thanks for the wave of fun you've thrown my way and Strive's comparison to VVVVVV was spot on. Awesome game, xiexie!

18. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Looks cool. Gonna try the lite. Wish it had Game Center though...

19. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Loving this! I'm a huge sucker for old retro style games like this. Takes me back to a care free time. No regrets about buying this one.:D

20. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Hmm. Sounds to me like you're responding to something you possibly expected me to say, rather than anything I said in actuality.

I don't regret buying the game in the slightest. However. One hit deaths, leaps of faith, and leaving the player with no alternative to suiciding to restart from last checkpoint, were never good design decisions. Not then, and certainly not now. (And you certainly won't find anything of the kind in Metroid.)

Pardon?