Universal Atari's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I wonder if this will be compatible with the iCade?

Love the bundle price, will be snagging this one tonight. THIS is how a big emulator full of micropurchases should be done. Too bad the Intellivision set isn't as complete as this looks to be.

E.T. was on the Atari VCS but it was licensed, just like Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the non-Atari arcade games like Dig-Dug and Pac-Man (Namco), Jungle Hunt and Space Invaders (Taito), Defender (Williams), etc etc.

You can't play Pac-Man on an Atari collection. Get the Namco versions instead, there are like 5 of them.

That's Activision. Maybe they'll come out with their own mega emulator set, like they've done many times before. Pitfall and H.E.R.O. are on GBA and PSP if you want them portable.

Yup. Though I don't think anyone really wants to play that one again.

Get off my lawn. It's worth it for the coin-ops alone. The closest you can get to this collection on a legitimate portable is on the low-res Nintendo DS, and it would cost $40 for the two cartridges containing this stuff.

Indeed. I wish this were available right this moment. Missed my birthday by one day.

2. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    No pitfall?!?

3. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Oh...that's why

4. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #24 frogtorch, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Fly, Yar Warriors, Fly!

After researching some of these, I can't believe that I ever forgot about STAR RAIDERS! That game was such a big deal to my kidself.

5. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    Psyched for this. Nostalgia WIN

AND!!! It won't be $15 for everything, more like $12.

14.99 NZD = 11.6296 USD

New Zealand Dollar US Dollar
    1 NZD = 0.775827 USD 1 USD = 1.28895 NZD

6. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    Megamania is an Activision game, just like Pitfall, Stampede, Kaboom, River Raid, and many other favorites of the period. A lot of the best 2600 games were from them. I'd love to see an Activision pack, preferably one that also has the Imagic games like Demon Attack. The patches would be a perfect fit for Game Center achievements.

I think it's still a good collection, if for no other reason than the huge list. Not that anyone was buying it there, but XBOX 360's Game Room was trying to move most of these titles for $3 each. Through that lens, this is an epic deal. :D

7. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I am cautiously optimistic. SEGA's emulated games are hit-and-miss with Sonic only hitting stride in the non-emulated Sonic 4 version (IMHO). I have the Missle Command (before it got pulled) and the Centipede and they are more than fine, IMHO. If these are as good, it will be awesome! Battlezone, Tempest, Centipede Classic... Yum! Wish the original Star Wars arcade was included but I'm guessing there are licensing issues like with Pole Position etc.

8. Kisguri

Kisguri Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
  9. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    If the emulation is good,I will be buying this tonight. I hope it sells huge and it gets other classic game companies to release compilations. I would love to see a Williams pack with Joust, Defender, Sinistar and others.

10. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    If they fixed it, then it wouldn't be E.T. anymore, would it?

You can play an emulated version here
    http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/game.php?id=4021
    spoiler:
    it kinda sucks. Surprise!

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    100% agree ! Roll on 12pm GMT !

12. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    Joust: play Glypha
    Defender: play Viper (and think about whether you really think Defender's controls would translate to a touchscreen)
    Robotron: play Minotron (it's awesome)
    Sinistar: see Defender. This doesn't work well in portable form, and it's not as good as you remember. But you could try Planetar.

If anyone were to pull this off, it would be Code Mystics, the people who did this Atari app. The founder, Jeff Vavasour, was one of the original emulator programmers back in the mid 1990s for Digital Eclipse, when they sold boxed floppy disk versions of Defender, Robotron, and Joust for the Mac @ $30 for each game. They've also done pretty much every classic game emulation pack on consoles ever since.

13. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Well it's a shame but Pitfall and Hero belong to Activision IMO

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #34 drelbs, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Holy Crap! :eek:

Sucks that the Star Raiders pack doesn't include Solaris...

Oh well. There goes another $15. :rolleyes:

(Still has his Atari 2600, though the wife (and daughter) haven't seen it yet.)

EDIT: No bluetooth on Outlaw?!? Shame.

15. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Definitely want this (especially for Tempest!) My biggest question is,"Does it save your scores?" That is a MUST for me.

16. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    This is how compilations should be done!

Twenty-five cents a game if you buy the packs is a fantastic deal! Even less per game if you get the full thing.

There are a few stinkers in there that will never be touched but over all it's a good collection!

Maybe we'll get lucky and down the road they'll release more packs and partner up with activision

Has anyone actually tried yet? I'm REALLY hoping the controls aren't crap.
    If they're ok I'll buy the full collection instantly!

17. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel! Tempest and, for some reason, Yar's Revenge are the games I'm looking forward to the most. I will grab the whole collection if reviews confirm that the controls are decent.

18. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Wait a sec...

The description says

"• 18 Classic Atari Arcade Games including PONG
    • 92 Atari 2600 Games"

18+92=110

I'm gonna guess it was a typo and shoulda been 82 Atari 2600 games

19. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    LOL. And true.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great call. I bought iTempest the other week, one of the worst pickups i've ever had for my ipod. Dire

If Tempest plays well then its worth the money for that alone.

Top marks to Atari, i was moaning about them when those 'deluxe' editions came out (as i wanted the originals), now here they are and cheap. Not silly prices or that. I'll buy the full collection as its great of Atari to do this.

Wish others (Capcom !) would do the same instead of releasing one every few months.