Universal Atari's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    What I'd like to know is if upon purchasing the DLC the filesize goes up a lot or if it unlocks what is already there. As this app is 18 MB, I'd guess that it is all already there--these games are tiny. But you never know with iPhone versions.

2. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Wow, a blast from my youth. I could have bought a car with all the quarters I dropped in Tempest games. Come on 11:00pm!

3. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Preach on, brother. Somuch lunch money in Tempest, Battlezobe, Centipede...

4. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Holy smokes! I am ALL OVER THIS! I'm in my mid-40s and I have been a huge Atari fan. I still have my completely working Atari 400!

Back in college, I was completely addicted to Atari games. My personal favorite is Major Havoc, and I am completely blown away that it is a pack I can buy! No one ever includes Major Havoc is the Atari retro game collections that get sold today. So, this is an insta-buy tonight.

I only hope the emulation and controls are spot-on. Keep fingers crossed. But still...MAJOR HAVOC on my iOS devices!!! My retrogaming dreams are finally being realized.

:D

--DotComCTO

5. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Preach on, brother. So much lunch money in Tempest, Battlezone, Centipede...

6. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    If Atari's very recent DS compilations of much the same material are anything to go by, your scores will be saved for the coin-op games but NOT the VCS ones.

7. Herosoft Ltd

Nov 23, 2010
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'm going to wait until I actually see it before I make that judgement. I've got both those DS packs and they leave quite a lot to be desired - Gravitar, for example, is unplayable at DS resolution because on some of the planets you literally can't see what way your ship is facing. Is the iOS version going to have Retina graphics? Because at base iOS resolution it's going to be struggling to be any better, especially with half the screen taken up by a control panel.

And personally I've already got Missile Command, Centipede and Super Breakout from Atari's previous releases (the old ones with the classic versions), and if you strip out those and the vector games you're pretty much left with just Crystal Castles.

Maybe I'm just an irritable old man, but the sort of people who go "OMG OMG LET ME HAND OVER THE MONEY RIGHT NOW!" before they've even had a chance to see the product in question are the reason we get so much shoddy half-baked garbage released. Why bother testing it properly or building in decent features (like high-score saving in the VCS titles) if people are going to fall over themselves to buy it anyway?

8. wolfhunt

wolfhunt Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I'm looking forward to seeing how the controls are. If they are decent then this is a no brainer. I am so hoping this app works well, being able to play these on my iphone and ipad would rock.

9. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I am now tumescent.

Insta-buy.

10. Herosoft Ltd

Nov 23, 2010
    Also: hang on, what?

11. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Besides E.T., Pitfall, Enduro, Megamania, Kaboom, River Raid (I know the last 5 are all Activision) and a bunch of good Immagic stuff, it's missing my favorite all-time Atari game, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I might get a few of these though, assuming the controls are good.

12. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    I am extremely interested to see how the arcade Tempest controls. Maybe with this release Atari will get the two atrocious Tempest clones taken off the app store.

I am also very intrigued to see the 2600 version of Tempest listed among the games. The prototype rom has been out for a while but as far as I know this is the first time it's every been released officially.

13. Herosoft Ltd

Nov 23, 2010
    No, it's on the DS release too.

14. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Great news! Some games have even multiplayer support.

I really hope they release Pac-man, River Raid, Space Invaders and Pitfall. As someone said it before: an Activision pack.

15. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Same here, but those were ports, not emulated. Judging by the screenshots this looks a lot closer. If the emulation is actually decent on the arcade versions of these games, I'm there for sure.

I'm waiting for impressions on the controls though.

Though sadly, I'd almost say I'm there just for the 2600 Haunted House.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This is awesome, but I really, really, really hope that Warlords (arcade and 2600) has multiplayer on one iPad. Requiring bluetooth on that platform would be rather silly. Either way, there's a bunch of games here that I'm interested in if the controls work well. Definitely an awesome return by Atari, at least on paper.

17. roorooroo

roorooroo Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I'd love a version of Gorf (arcade) too.

18. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Different companies, though.

What's more likely would be that Activision takes notice if the Atari release gets a bunch of traction, then decides to release their own version of a "greatest hits." Or, hell, for all I know, they might already be working on it.

19. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    FWIW, I'm thinking this is Star Raiders from the 2600...which wasn't all that great. The Atari 400/800 version was the one to play.

We'll see...

--DotComCTO

20. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Most looking forward to Centipede and Combat. I spent countless hours playing Combat in my youth, especially tank mode, been wanting this for a while. Stoked I can play it in HD on my iPad!