Universal Atari's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Padgamer

Padgamer Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    totally get it, and I payed $75 for Zaxxon for the Colecovision! And I wasn't young when I paid for that (day 1).

So $15 for the whole atari collection, yea, sold. Even if they just control OK, all on one place = a big win.

If they control well, and have GC leaderboards. Woopie!

5 hours.

2. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Not bad could use more options

Guys I purchased a pack (Tempest) with some left over yen. The interface is gorgeous (although tedious if you don't own all the games), but what really surprised me is that all the games have the original game manuals! Totally cool.

The first game I played was the arcade version of tempest, and the framerate was perfect on my iPad 1st gen. The controls were VERY doable and responsive. The ship is controlled by a click wheel on the left hand side that you move up and down. On the right hand side you have two buttons; one to shoot and the other for your super. No complaints

There are complaints however. The 2600 games don't have a lot of options, and all the games (from the ones I have) only play in portrait mode. This becomes a problem for iPad owners because they have to stretch their hands over to play.

The app overallis wonderful; I am defininetly going to throw the 15 bones when it releases in the US. It's a fun and faithful to all of the Atari's glorious awesomeness.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    40 minutes here, but I've been awake over 24 hours already so I'm not sure I'll make it. I don't know which packs I want to buy either.

I'm hoping someone with a 4th gen device will take a few screenshots of the games in action for us :)

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #85 bigrand1, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Well, yeah, not so great, and the point is, that there are so many better games they made and I'm not seeing many, considering the library they have to draw from! I was a teenager back then and played almost all of them! Disappointing, IMO! Kinda reminds me of the dismal choices the TurboGrafx put out, and it's been 5 months since they did that, then 1 update that was lame, also! If that's gonna be the case here as well, to me, fifteen bucks is a RIPOFF! These companies have all these good games and they give us mostly crap?! I just don't understand it. If they started bringing out the good stuff soon after, I'd be ok with that! But...... Nada! And here, with these 'packs', they're giving you basically one real good game and three or four so-so ones. The hell with that!

6. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
  7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It seems like practically all of the emulation apps have left a number of key games out. I don't know if it's problems with licensing but my question to whoever owns the rights would be... what the hell are you doing with it if you're not putting the game up for sale?

Ah, thanks.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Screw it, I'm going to bed before I pass out. Someone post some retina screens for me, thanks :)

9. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Wow the 8 year old in me is doing back flips.

Not sure that I will buy the entire collection since it seems like there could be a number of duds.

I would be interested in hearing what packs people plan on buying and why.

I'm thinking I'll buy

1. Major Havoc Pack - Yar's Revenge and Major Havoc!!!

2. Battlezone pack - gotta have the arcade version of Battlezone

3. Tempest Pack

4. Warlords Pack - any word on 4 players for Warlords? That would be awesome.

5. Swordquest Pack

Any others I should get?

10. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #90 bigrand1, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    C'mon, man! You don't love us if we are Atari fans! You love us if we give you fifteen bucks! Not fallin' for THAT line...........ME, anyway! :)

11. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009

I was lookin at the packs too...most of them have at least one good game in them so if I buy all the packs I want i'd be darn close to the $15 anyway so for me I might as well get 'em all!

12. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Heh-Heh! Well said! +1

13. IT may not be ideal for a touchscreen, and I have yet to see exactly what sort of controls have been implemented on which games, but I don't really care at this point. I have been waiting forever for some real, official Atari retro goodness to turn up on the App Store, and it's finally, really happened and I couldn't be more stoked about it. Even better, they've packed in some of their great arcade titles in addition to 2600 classics, which is just awesome. Major Havoc was one of my arcade faves.

I'll be shelling out for the whole pack -- there are a few packs I don't really care too much for but even eliminating those I'd be in for more than $15 anyway.

Now can we get Activision to port their Activision Classics over? Pretty please?

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Well, I downloaded the thing. With nothing but Pong to go on, prospects don't look good. The paddle lags behind my finger significantly, (on an iPad 2 no less) making the whole experience not exactly a joy to play. If they couldn't get PONG right ffs, what hope is there for the rest? I'm not planning to pay to find out.

15. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Just bought the whole pack, i grew up on this and havnt played lunar lander and space duel since the arcades way way back

Asteroids
    [​IMG]

Battlezone
    [​IMG]

Lunar lander
    [​IMG]

Centipede
    [​IMG]

Missile command
    [​IMG]

Not played many games yet just checking them out but some have multple controls
    If there is any game you want to see screens of gimme a shout :)

16. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Gravatar (You need real good eyesight for this one)
    [​IMG]

Crystal Castles
    [​IMG]

Tempest
    [​IMG]

17. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Coding
    San Diego
    Ah man!
    Love these classics!!!

They are gonna bring back mammories! hahaha

18. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This could be the greatest download ever. Seriously, this is nostalgia at its best for those of us growing up in the mid 80s.

19. DavidGQ

DavidGQ Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Same here. Control is key here. I assume with the Ipad is easier with bigger screen. The "roller" ball is important also. Hope to hear feedbacks.

Also, hope other companies bring back other goodies - Joust, Space Invader, etc.

Funny, most of us in here are in our 40's :D Still have the original Atari and the games.

20. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Loving the different button layouts - can't wait for iCade support. Anyone in NZ know if Star Raiders is the 2600 version, or the Atari 400/800 version? Can't wait until tonight!

Sega should take a look at this instead of releasing one frigging Sonic at a time.