Universal Atari's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    This is the definition of Insta-Buy. Finally!

2. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Controls are a bit hit and miss on my ip4 anyway
    The arcade section seems well looked after but the 2600 side of things is different.
    Tried to play gravatar 2600 version and lasted less than a minute :)

This is battlezone 2600 version
    [​IMG]
    The joystick is like this for most 2600 games works well on some but not on others for example Yars revenge i want to shoot right but not move right at the same time, it can be tricky im afraid to say.

3. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Why are there 2 Battlezone packs? And are the sports games worthwhile?

4. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I love this thread. Great to so many others also excited about this and also in the 40 year old range. I was beginning to think we were in the minority in this forum.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #105 bigrand1, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Nah, man, there's a surprising number of us old farts tooling around here, I'm happy to say! I'm 51 myself and into it MORE than I was in the early '70's or even the '80's! Not too excited to see what Gabrien said about it though. If you've been in this forum for a long time, you notice other people who you mostly agree with alot, and for me, he's one of 'em. So, I'll just wait and check out what others think in terms of feedback on this one when it comes out here before I pull the trigger. I, like everyone else, hope this will be good! We'll see...

6. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    IOS is THE retro spot for old fart gamers.

7. Padgamer

Padgamer Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    I often lack the patience of youth, guess that comes with age.

And the long slow wait for 8p post an nz launch!

Runs to refresh the apstore....

8. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
  9. Padgamer

Padgamer Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    No longer available?!? Eye twitching....

10. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    It's working now. Just downloaded it. Syncing to my iPad now.

Yay!

:D

--DotComCTO

11. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    purchased all and now it's downloading 68.5 meg more

12. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Same here (age) w00t and never left the realm of gaming since it began. Now I am trying to find the 'Gabrien' post --concerned.

13. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    So is anyone going to get the icade later this summer
    ...?

14. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one in my 40s in this forum! Downloading now, can't wait to try out Tempest and Battlezone later. I wish that Xevious was in this collection, i played the heck out of that game as a teen...

15. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Oh yeah! Tempest is so good! This is a faithful reproduction of the arcade version, and brings back some great memories. Controls take some getting used to, but a blast, none-the-less.

16. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Game Impressions

Quick first impressions....

As someone else stated the arcade games play beautifully!

The 2600 games are a bit awkward on the ipad. would probably be a bit more comfortable in landscape mode. HEAR OUR CRIES ATARI!

This is the ONLY time I've played Major Havoc or Tempest in an emulator and have them "feel" right!

overall I'm really enjoying this. a few tweaks to the 2600 controls and this will be perfect!

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Circus atari!!! It's awesome, haven't played this game since I was 6 or 7!!! The options are nice and very good controls, so far I'm tempted to just hit buy all...

18. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    OK. Quick report for you Major Havoc fans (and it seems I'm not the only one...amazing!):

The gameplay is correct, and graphics are from the arcade; clearly they're using the original ROMs. The game also supports the warp codes, so all is good there, too. The emulation is very good from what I can tell, but the sounds feel slightly off...maybe it's just my recollection.

The control scheme is fine *but* the emulation needs a sensitivity setting on a per game basis. In the arcades, Major Havoc used a roller wheel (not a roller ball). The roller wheel in the emulator isn't loose enough. It requires more thumb motion to really get moving. The problem is that many of the later mazes really require quick reflexes and fast motion. The emulator control is just a little too slow for my tastes. If I could adjust the sensitivity, it would be absolutely perfect.

To be clear, the game looks and plays great, but it'd be better (for me) with more sensitivity in the roller wheel.

Anyone else feel the same way?

:confused:

--DotComCTO

P.S. Not sure what the other comment about Pong was about, but it's fine for me on my iPad 1. I don't notice any lag at all.

19. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ya, it's slow too. At least I can put my hands in the air and wave them like I don't care to the background music in the meantime.

20. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Bought. Got the full DLC. I've been playing for the last 40 min or so, and I'm really happy. From the bit I've played, the controls are for the most part good. Some work better than others, but I've had no real issues so far. I'm really happy that the people responsible for this seem to have a real love and appreciation for this gaming system. Without this system, video gaming would be much different. I love the scans of the manuals and info sheets that were given to the arcades with the cabinets, not necessary, but a really nice touch. This could've been half assed so easily (Sega), but this shows real quality. I have no regrets at all about spending 15 dollars for all of this classic fun, and at least as important, for all of the memories.