Universal Autumn Dynasty (by Touch Dimensions)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

1. gamedboy

gamedboy Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Game Developer
    Hi everyone,

I am jeffrey aka gamedboy, one of the creator of this game. Thanks for all your support :D Feel free to ask me anything.

2. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010

Thanks for your help. I'll give that a shot.

I am also a part of the camp that thinks this game needs a save game feature. I've had to replay missions several times. Not just because I fail, which I do often, but because I run out of time.

3. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    What does the next patch include? A save-anywhere system?

4. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm enjoying this game, or well, was enjoying it until I got up to the first stealth mission. Seriously, this is 2012, right? I am pretty sure that stealth missions in rts games are now pretty much universally known to be poor game design. Personally, I think this is one of most poorly designed levels I have ever seen in an rts. Words cannot describe how frustrated I am with it. If you don't want to remove it, I would at least suggest adding an option to skip it after a certain number of attempts (for example, 4 or 5).

5. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Heh, I quite enjoyed this mission, though I did had to retry a few times.

Just make good use of the ambush skill and try to divide your forces so you can block the enemy's escape route.

6. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    I went the other way and avoided all the patrols.

I don't think it was mentioned, but the enemy won't be able to see you when you're in a forest. Applies to the skirmish mode too.

Forget about the archers they gave you at the start and just keep the other units hidden in the forests, the patrols won't be able to see you even if you enter their 'circle'. You may have to keep a finger on the units to stop them from moving out of the forest to engage (which is quite irritating).

Then it's just a matter of moving in between the patrols to get to the lower middle of the map.

And one last thing you guys might find useful, I found that the horses are usually pretty bad against spears especially if you're forced into a 1 on 1 situation (like you might be in this stage), but try using the Fire ability to even out the odds.

7. gamedboy

May 24, 2012
    Game Developer
    The next patch should arrive sometime next week once Apple approve. It would contain a novice mode for campaign missions, and also activate the multiplayer rankings. We also fix some bugs and crashes.

The save system and manual which couldn't make it in time are definitely inside my todo list, and there are also some free content updates coming :D More details would be announced in Autumn Dynasty facebook page and twitter channel.

8. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Delete this please.

9. gamedboy

May 24, 2012
    Game Developer
    It would usually auto resume unless you run many apps at the same time :D

10. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Awesome!

Also, feel free to make new story campaigns to sell it through IAP. I would certainly buy it.

As far as feedback, personally I would like to see the ability to save different groups (3 would be enough), a save system and different behaviors (for instance, don't attack, attack only one type of unit, etc).

11. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Hey guys, just posting on behalf of one of the devs. Some reasonable reasons as to why there's no group saving ability.

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I have seen this happen only once. Most of the time it reloads the app. One time I was playing in the car on the way to eat. When we arrived I hit the home button. After dinner I reloaded the game and had to restart the level. Yesterday I accidentally hit the home button. I immediately switched back to the app and it showed my map for a split second and then crashed. Reopened the game again and it reloaded from the opening splash screen.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why? There are a lot of universally known things that I don't know, so this might well be one of them, but perhaps you could explain how it came to be universally known except to those of us who don't know it.

14. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I haven't started this game yet, but I think it sounds much better without control groups. I have found controlling groups a big pain in iOS rts games, the idea of a game that's designed from the start not to require them sounds good to me.

15. mosquito60

mosquito60 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    switzerland
    I'm new in this kind of games. I'm stuck at the campaing in which I have to seize the mysterious weapon.

My troups get destroyed very fast. Then I have to do the long way again from my camp downwards.

Form everywhere there are enemy troops coming out of nowhere. I can't defeat them this quick and if, then my troops are limited to a few men.

From where do this troops come from?

Is there a general strategy who to get better?

16. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    First of all, don't defend a game without playing it first.

Secondly, stealth missions in rts games are generally poor because they end up being puzzles that the player has to fail over and over again to figure out. In addition, rts games notoriously have little feedback about how far and and what the enemy can see. Sure, they can't see me in the forests, but what about behind the forests? Also, the range of units vision is not clear. Theres a circle, but its not accurate, in my experience. On top of all this, the pathfinding ai in the game is not programming to move stealthily, which means that you have to babysit your units at all times. I haven't even mentioned the worst part, so far, which is that there are no unit stances so when the enemy comes close, your units will automatically attack it, even if doing so would reveal their position.

Understand?

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm not defending this or any other game, I was asking you to explain the statement, "stealth missions in rts games are now pretty much universally known to be poor game design," which has got absolutely nothing to do with this specific game.

But some people like puzzles that they fail over and over again to figure out.

18. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Yes, but not most people. Failing a few times is one thing. I must have failed at least 15 times before I finally beat this level. And I didn't even play the mission like it was supposed to, but rather "gamed" (read: exploited) the system.

19. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Which map is this? Map 3?

20. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Jesus dude. You have a lot of pretty strong opinions about things people do and do not like.

I thought the mission was fine. I liked the change of pace to something more deliberate. It also fit well with the story. It took me a few tries to finish it and I did not feel like I "gamed" the system by winning.

As for the game as whole, I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm surprised that Touch Arcade hasn't done a front page review for this game yet. It's head and shoulders above most of the crap in the app store.