Universal AVP: Evolution - (by Fox Digital Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. anouk82

anouk82 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Mini market
    Athens,Greece
    I think it will stay for a few days,that's good...more people will enjoy it!...Although I never had a problem with the first price...

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    When I was a kid I bought AvP issue #0 by Darkhorse. Any idea if it's worth anything?

3. 99 cents

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Aren't #0 issues normally free?

5. Ne0ndrag0n

Ne0ndrag0n Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    So when wilk the uodate hit? Im hetting sick of the crashing

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Picked this up during the sale, figured I didn't have much to lose for 3 bucks. Didn't have very high expectations.

Well, pretty much all my fears were confirmed.

-The controls just plain suck. The camera is too floaty and I always have difficulty knowing if my combos register/how many times I've hit the A/B button. And I rarely have difficulty with iOS game controls. Did I mention the camera? It's always in the wrong place and is probably the most annoying thing about the game for me.

-Umm, how do I put this...the game's combat sucks. The Alien and Predator are fundenmentally identical, except for a few different gadgets and reskinned avatar for the player. The combos? They're few and very unimpressive. The kills? They look FAR too sanitized. This is a hard R franchise, this is a PREDATOR AND ALIEN GAME. There should be blood flying all over the place, on walls, dismembered bodies, etc. This seriously takes away from the sense of "oh, I'm playing an Alien/Predator game". Don't give me bullshit about apple or not wanting to force it on customers, there are things called settings and 17+ ratings. Use them.

-Speaking of kills, the fatalities are pretty mundane and uninspired. Nothing looks "cool". Ever watched the movies? The Alien kills by breaking necks, impaling with his second mouth/jaw and tail. What's this with the claws??

-It isn't faithful to the franchise spirit. What I mean by that is that this is a straight out action game; replace the alien/predator with a Greek hero, replace the hapless humans with mythical creatures and change the backdrop and we have a god of war clone. The Predator isn't very strategic nor does the poor level design allow him to be so, the alien doesn't use the shadows and crawl through vents to attack. This just feels like an Alien/Predator skin on a very mediocre action game.

So guys, I'm bummed. I love the movies (AVP DOESN'T COUNT) but this is just a stinker. Stay far, far away even for $2.99.

Edit: oh and it's hard to aim attacks when you don't "lock on" to enemies a la every other slasher/brawler on the iOS platform.

7. Curious to hear Metalcasket's response.

8. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I keep getting constant crashes on the Alien Mission 5. Anyone have a similar problem? Running on iPad2, no logical reason found thus far. The crashes occur every time I try to resume the game with Continue, someverytine I have to start from Level Select, but also sometimes it crashes mid level. No error, the app just closes. Im open for ideas.

PS: the upper "review" is bullshit. The game is not perfect, but its loads of fun, especially for fans. The thing is that it gets interesting and varied after the third missions for both species. Im sure the upper guy didnt even beat the game. Most people's first impresions are similar, but in the end they dont stay the same.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    How about instead of calling my opinions "bullshit", you tell me how I'm wrong? Or is that just too much to ask on the Internet...?

10. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    #250 KoRoV, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Your wrong. Im not franchise fan, i love them but not a fan, but you are expecting to much from phone game. Btw for me game looks perfect, game play is clasic fun, and definitly gona play it again aftet some time when im finish it.

11. Danz060391

Danz060391 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    I'm interested to know how far into the game you are? IMO It gets a lot better after the first few levels.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #252 JBRUU, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    It doesn't give level numbers so I'm not entirely sure, I think I saw what looked like a level loading screen maybe four times. I'm maybe 20 minutes in, so some of my problems with depth may not be valid. I'll get farther and see.

However, no matter how far or not I'm in to the game combat isn't very satisfying or easy to aim, and the camera is quite cumbersome. It doesn't give me much reason to continue, especially since there are far better games that I need to finish and/or start.

What am I expecting that's too much? The graphics are quite sufficient, actually pretty good even though they're lacking in shadow effects.

A better camera and auto-aim on my attacks is not too much to ask for on a phone game. Upping the gore is fairly easy to do. Adding more creative and brutal fatalities is something that should've been there from the start.

13. Danz060391

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand

In the main menu there is a level select option so that can help you to work out the level you are up to.
    There are a lot of different weapons and upgrades that make the combat more exciting once you've gathered enough cash.

The levels do get better, there is even a side scrolling level but I wont spoil the game for you.
    Though I have to agree with you that there needs to be much more blood and gore

14. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Ahhhh those kids this days... Only blood and gore they want... Take a knife and cut a finger :p xD
    In time when app store is floaded with stupid chieldish, vile and puzzle games, this is a real gem. If you growup on nes and mame and after that java games, you would be more apriciate and greatful for titles like this.
    Btw camera is perfect and 'movie alike'.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hehe, just saw the shop. That's quite a bit of stuff there. Hope it isn't much of a grind though.

I'd just love to see the combat mechanics as refined as Wild Blood. That was fun, no button mashing and had a lot of depth especially with the upgrades. This could be a lot more fun if only they'd done something along those lines.

16. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #256 Aventador, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

1.) I don't find controls difficult at all, yes there is some button mashing involved for combos, but all on reasonable ground.I do agree with statement that camera is in a way of action sometimes which diminishes gameplay, but they promised to fix it in next update

2.) About statement that Alien and Predator look the same I don't even want to make comments because I would probably get banned.I agree that Alien experience is not movie-like though, even if there is enough ventilation crawling going around, it is just to get from one point to another.What I would really like is to be able to attack from walls, crawl out of vent shaft and grab /kill a marine fast, be able to use iconic Alien second mouth to penetrate helmets/skulls ( be it as a combo or finishing move). On the other side, Predator part is nearly a movie- like experience. Did you use plasma cannons or turned cloak on ? In dark predator with thermal sight is so much fun to play agains group of frightened marines.Locking them with plasma cannons and doing stealthy kills ( yes there are stealthy kills in game, this game isn't only about rushing into group of enemies aka Street fighter and cut your way trough.If you play utilizing your advantages in gear and being cautious about being seen by AI you will get no less that full movie experience with Predator.

3.) Did you check out combo list while pausing in the middle of the game? There is a huge list of combos that all have different animations for finishing moves, there is more than just finishing moves/ trophy kills .As both characters progress, they get acces to different combos depending on what weapon you unlocked and are using currently.

Few pages back one of the developers posted list of changes that will come in first update, it should include auto locking of enemies and fixing the "broken" camera, along with fixing crashes.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I agree with most of your points, except that the combo list isn't that long at all. And the combos themselves are not only difficult to do but aren't very satisfying like, say, Gods: Uprising's is.

Why would commenting about the alien/predator being essentially the same thing reskinned get you banned? Has there been some major change in moderation and rules that I'm unaware of?

18. Danz060391

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    It's good to see you are playing this a bit more. I beta tested this and had a lot of fun doing it. I even bought the game when it came out and completed it again.
    It's a good game, not a great game but good. When this first came out the reviews seemed a bit unfair because most reviewers only played through the first few levels and didn't get a chance to enjoy the stuff that comes with progressing through the game.

19. Ne0ndrag0n

Ne0ndrag0n Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Why cant i go invisible with the celtic armor?

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm actually enjoying this, good arcade bash.