iPhone Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Trayray, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
  2. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I don't think it's coming June 20th, I checked the dev's twitter like Pitta said and I don't think they're quite near release just yet. Plus it's co-published by WoTC. I can't see them pitting DoTP against Baldur's Gate on release.

3. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I'm tempted to jb and install bg via gemrb. I hate it when they announce stuff way in advance. Fargoal 2 being a prime example (among others).

4. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    How good is gemrb? I have enough to play until BG comes out 'natively' but maybe I try Icewind or Planescape, I think I have them on my shelve somewhere.

5. Najmax

Najmax Member

Sep 10, 2011
    :):):)

Falout (one and two) would be great on iPad.

btw Minsc and Bo RULES!!!!

6. TrentO

TrentO Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Bgee

We're still a while from ship. We'll be talking more in July, for now, we're heads down doing code and content fixes and trying to replace that d**n complicated user interface code.

-Trent

7. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Trent:Thanks for the update will look forward to more info in July.Good luck with that code,its worth the effort honest :)

8. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    This won't include Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, will it?

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    From what I understand it will include the expansion... Though I could be wrong I remember reading several articles saying that this was the whole shabang!

10. fr33z33

fr33z33 Member

May 22, 2012
    Expansions to both BG1 and 2 will be included in the initial app purchase. As well as new quests especially designed for the special editions. Cheers

11. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Yep, Sword Coast included with BG1, Throne of Bhaal included with BG2. The kicker? All new content added to both titles.

12. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    so much want

13. fr33z33

fr33z33 Member

May 22, 2012
    Hmm, I'm wondering how large the games will be on the storage. Probably way over 1GB. especially if they include retina support. Anybody knows how large the original install is, including sword coast?

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hmmmm as far as I know original assets were lost, so they have only the one that shipped with the game (I do not remeber exactely but I think BG2 enigne supported 800x600).
    I think they are trying various algorithmic methods to enhance graphics with the assests they have.
    The games were multiple CDs (BG2 were 4 if I recall right)...I have to check...I still have somewhere my collector's editions (and a Neverwinter Nights signed by Trent Oster himself, too :p)...so I think the downloads will be pretty huge.

I've played BGs to death but I'm really thrilled to hear they are aiming to revive on iPad the isometric RPGs...my favorite genre of all time.
    The enigne of Temple of Elemental Evil being the best imho to port.

15. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    iirc are they not limited to under 2gig for any app? I would guess it will be in the region of 1gig max uncompressed, even monsters like Infinity Blade 2 are not much bigger than that.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I think more towards 2 Gb than 1 (I think the AppStore has a 2 Gb limit for compressed apps)...I do not remember the installed footprint of the BG games out of my memory, but they were pretty big (movies, cutscenes, dubbing, and everything).

If I recall well a BGTutu BG1+BG2+expansion+patches and mods full install is over 4 Gb, but it's been a while.

17. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    #77 spidey, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Yes, that sounds about right. And plus this was back in the days when devs did actually try and squeeze the memory footprint of the games.

EDIT: Nothing to demean the current crop of devs. For all I know they do try and reduce the file sizes but are hindered by the development tools they use. Whatever be the case, some of the games out on iOS do have pretty large sizes for the very limited content they offer.

18. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Puzzle Quest 2 was a really bad example of this.

But then with The Bard's Tale, that was really huge (that's what she said), but it is loaded with content, and worth the size. Big difference.

19. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
    Wow ! That is the good news.

20. I wish it would have support for mods as some did really make the game about 100000x more fun!

I don't really think it would fit in with Apple's 'locked down' app store policy though =(

here's hoping!