iPhone Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Trayray, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Or have a 64Gb Ipad, so you don't need to worry :D

2. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Where did you read about the 5GB expanded?
    It's a confirmed size?
    Wow... i've to finish TWEWY asap

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't think it's a confirmed size.
    I've been following their forums religiously on a daily basis, and no hard info so far on that subject.

I've just posted the question to them today, and I'll post any answers here, if anyone who's in the know will answer.
    Won't post speculation, of which there's a lot of on their forums. :)

4. Gabriel.Voyager

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Trent Oster said today in the official forum that the size will be 3GB uncompressed!
    Yuppi! :)

5. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ahh. Cool!

Good work Gabriel. :)
    You beat me to checking my own post on the official forums. He he.

6. Gabriel.Voyager

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Ops :D

7. fr33z33

fr33z33 Member

May 22, 2012
    Yes, but don't forget that in order to install, usually size+approx. 50-75% of the app needs to be free. After the installation, the installer gets dumped and the game should use up ~3GB storage. So the 5GB required to download and install in the first place is quite spot-on

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #168 Bool Zero, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    If downloading, yes, but I think if you install from iTunes (hooked up to computer) you can avoid that as the game is uncompressed on your computer HDD and installs without need for the extra unzipping space on the device. Please correct me if I am wrong though but I think that is how you can avoid this whole 5GB space needed debate...

9. Gabriel.Voyager

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Yes it's correct.
    If you download with iTunes the app will be uncompressed by iTunes and transfred to your device uncompressed, so you don't have to take extra space for the install file.

10. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    But the install file is deleted from the device once it's installed right?
    So it's just a temporary extra storage space needed?

11. presto77

presto77 Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Fingers crossed that the iOS interface is clean and easy. I rarely game on my pc anymore so this game holds a lot of weight for me. I hope to see many more ports of quality titles like this in the future

12. Gabriel.Voyager

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    #172 Gabriel.Voyager, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    The install file is deleted after installation.
    If you download and install on iTunes the install file remain on iTunes.

13. fr33z33

fr33z33 Member

May 22, 2012
    Looks like there's still wiggling room with the app size:

Trent Oster (@TrentOster)
    12/09/2012 20:50
    The new compression approach is going quite well. It is looking to fall in line with our under 2GB install size for iPad

Crazy, given how near the release date is (and thus, the hand-in for Apple to green-light the app)

14. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    It's not THAT crazy...
    When we were days away from our final release of Diggin' Dogs, we went right down to the 11th hour experimenting with different mixes and levels of compression to get it under 20mb at the maximum possible quality.

Asset compression is one of the easiest / least risky things to still be messing with before release.

15. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Oh yes!!!under 2 gigs is awesome..well even if it's going to be 3 gigs I'll still get this anyway hehe..:)

16. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    ditto. lol. Been wondering if I should get it on the iPad or PC. I really enjoyed playing Avadon and Avernum on my iPad so I think I would probably enjoy this on my iPad as well...but at the same time.. I would be able to play it as a higher resolution on PC with a keyboard/mouse combo.

Oh well.. I will just get both =p

17. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Speaking of avernum, how does Baldur gate differ? I've never played this but all I hear are good things. Is this game similar to avernum?

18. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Baldur's Gate is Avernum's Grandfather so to speak.
    It's quite similar, but as the creator of Avernum was just one person, and the creators of Baldur's Gate was a big team, the production value and scope of the game is much higher and better.

Both games uses isometric perspective and 2D graphics.

The graphics of BG is much more beautiful, the world much bigger and varied.
    Also BG is using the official Advanced Dundeon & Dragon 2.0 rules, which are very comprehensive.

I don't know how many hours of gameplay Avernum boasts, but the original BG consists of around 250 hours if you want to explore every quest and nook and cranny of the game. There'll be even more in this enhanced version.

Avernum is a very, very good game, especially knowing its the work of one man, but BG is just a much better game on every front.
    It's considered by many the best RPG of its kind.
    Ever.

I had trouble playing Avernum on the iPad everything is just way too small for me.

BG:EE has a zoom feature, so it'll be much more playable on the iPad I would imagine.

19. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Bytebrain,when you play the next Avernum or Avadon try a small stylus for the tapping it works an absolute treat and gives great precision for the battles.

20. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The biggest difference that you've not mentioned here is the combat mechanics. Avernum et al is a completely turn-based affair. BG is a real-time combat system, but one can PAUSE the action at any time, distribute movement and action orders, then resume play. Your party will carry out all these commands (within the constraints of what is considered a "turn" in the AD&D rulebook).