Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #321 Sheinfell, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Black Pits impressions and info

I am almost done with my Black Pits impressions, only notes on the fights are missing.
    You can find them in the "Baldur's Gate - Basic tips for new players" thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=169628

Specifically, here for general things:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2580678#post2580678

Here for my thoughts on party composition:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2580684&postcount=8

Fights are covered here, I am almost done with my second playthrough:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2580686&postcount=9

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Max level 7-8 in BG and an extra level for the Sword Coast expansion, I think (didn't play it, only the base game). Which means 6 proficiency points for martial classes, 2 for pure mages and 3-4 for everybody else.

Given that only martial classes can have more than one point in a weapon proficiency and of them only pure fighter can have more than 2, well, there is enough to be proficient in 2-3 weapon types.

And since they seem to use BG2 rule system now, rather than the original BG1 system (where there was an extra 1/2 attack per round for grand mastery in a weapon), it may be better even for the fighter to have 3 points in 2 weapon types each than 5 in one.

As I said, I consider styles waste of points in BG1,and in BG2 only dual-wielding is worthwhile and only for certain characters, IMHO.

You have to consider that you can't know, unless you spoil yourself, if and when you will find a good enchanted weapon of a certain weapon type. Spreading proficiencies ensures that you'd have pretty good chances at using the best weapons you come across.

And, as I said, ranged really rules in BG1 and at these levels composite longbow is a great weapon even without enchantment.

3. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Isilel, re: weapon points distribution:

After taking a closer look at the weapon styles - and doing some heavy thinking, I begin to agree with you for the main game.
    While you get some (sometimes useful) bonuses from a style, in the end you limit yourself to one weapon type.
    So spreading out weapon proficiencies seems to be the better choice for the main game. Especially with the apparently greater usefulness of ranged weapons in the main game, as opposed to the Black Pits. Also, on lower levels the differences aren't that great.
    Guess I will start over again with a different build, just to get more possible diversity :) Good thing I did not get far yet, maybe two hours into the main game.

4. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #324 Riotgirl, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Bought FF3 (sucker-punched by SE having a rare sale - enjoying the experience, much to my surprise), so no time for Baldur's Gate just yet. Also, by the time I finish FF3, complete Avadon, and have time in my schedule for another RPG, hopefully a couple of the UI frustrations should be patched.

I played BG back in the day, and never completed it. So bloody huge, with lots of different side-quests. I love how difficult BG was right from the get-go - no hand-holding. Getting to the Friendly Arms Inn could be an adventure (let alone getting in the actual inn ;) - especially if you chose to play a Mage character as your main (bonus points for playing an Evilly aligned Mage character from the start - for a Demon Soul's type experience).

Quite linear until Beregost (and with good reason - your party will get seven different shades of snot beaten out of them if attempting side-quests before levelling up), and then the game really starts to open up. I must admit, I always used a Fighter as my main, then kept Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira, freed Branwen, and then freed Xan.

When I do finally play BG again, think I'm going to make life difficult by either playing a Monk or a more neutral-evilly aligned Human Fighter and turn down Khalid and Jaheira. I'll probably start with a neutral Monk first for role-play reasons - although I really want to play a neutral-evilly aligned character. However, first play on iOS, best shy away from evilly aligned characters because BG is definitely not evilly aligned friendly!

What mains are people choosing in terms of class, race and alignment? Who are you recruiting in your party?

Forgot to ask: are all the ambient sounds from the original included? What about voice party interaction?

5. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    What are the best ranged weapons?

I hear that bows are gimped because of the dearth of good +X arrows. Is this true?

I'm thinking, for fun, I'd go hardcore in the ranged direction. Thinking Ranger/Cleric. But if arrows aren't so hot, what weapon(s) should I try to tailor around?

Also: is there any reason to use darts if you have access to other ranged weapons, even sling?

6. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Looks like a new update is pending.

The "Smart Radius" is a direct fix for the iPad issues people have mentioned. Now it just needs to sit at Apple for a week

That should resolve issues with doors, picking up loot etc..
    no clue what it is, but it seems to work good for them.

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    The sounds seem to be all there.

I set the difficulty at Core Rules. Playing a human neutral good monk. Different from what I usually would have chosen -- a ranger or a druid. Just reached Nashkel, after being taught a few lessons in cautious exploration.

I intend to recruit the new wild mage. I remember playing a character like that in Neverwinter Nights and playing one in BG would be interesting I think. I was tempted to restart with that, but I'm not sure if I'm good playing wild mage as my main.

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yep.
    Generally, chests and bookcases in houses are save, and your loot should stay put.

The Friendly Arms Inn have a few chests you could make use of.

If you leave stuff outside, it'll disappear once you leave the map though.

9. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Is anyone else having problems with loading games?

I just slept at the edge of a map (auto save I think) then quick saved and exited the map (another auto save).The game then crashed during the battle when I was waylaid by monsters, and when i tried to load my auto save from exiting the precious map it instead loaded my last manual save which was in the middle of the map I rested in, very strange.

I've had this happen a few times already.

Anyone else? Any way to avoid it except not loading ;) ?

10. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    No, bows are excellent in BG1. Ranger/Cleric is totally viable. And it's best to give your whole party ranged weapons.

11. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    Oh, okay. Even fighters? I would think a single tank surrounded by gunners would be a strong tactic.

Are longbows or shortbows better? I thought I read that there are some better short than long bows in the game.

And what do you consider the best ranged weapon type?

12. Cougarcat

Aug 21, 2008
    Yes, it is. I'd still have your fighters have bows as backup.

As for bows, I'd go longbow.

13. TrentO

TrentO Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Just submitted a new update

Hey guys, based on all the feedback we've been getting we've put together a new update for the iPad version of the game. We've added a "Smart Radius" feature which makes it much easier to interact with doors, area transitions and ground objects. We've also made a number of fixes, including multiplayer.
    We're hoping the update has a speedy pass through the approvals process.

Best,
    -Trent

14. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I thought Ranger/Cleric couldn't use a bow because Clerics can't use bladed weapons? At least it was that way in the old BG 1

15. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It's is great news Trent. :)
    Good to see you back on the TA forums.

Got to tell you, I'm enjoying my travels in The Forgotten Realms immensely!

Thank you for bringing this amazing game to the iPad.

16. Cougarcat

Aug 21, 2008
    Ah yes, you are correct. I've never done a Ranger/Cleric myself.

Once the Mac version hits, I'll be going Elven Ranger with the Archer kit, and picking up Branwen for my Cleric.

17. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    #337 neonbible, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Just got the game. Don't want to start a rant as many others have about the interface issues. Just have a few questions to get me going.

When you select a spell, how do you know which one has been selected? I know you can see it when it's in a quick spell slot, but its not obvious under 'cast a spell'.

When memorising spells, how do you know what each one is in the book as they are only represented as symbols?

And the last task of the tutorial, where is the basement? Lol

18. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    Great to hear, thanks. I played the original back in the day. But I'm still having difficulty getting my troops to not stand around for long lengths of time in battle. Even after—I believe—giving them orders to attack, they often stand there like dullards.

Is it me? Am I missing something? Do I have to continually be turning on attack mode? (orange outline of weapon) Or continually picking new targets for all characters who've lost their target?

Sorry for the noob questions. For some reason, I don't remember having these problems with a mouse. Of course, that was a thousand years ago IRL... :)

19. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Go into their character screen, select "customize", choose "script", and choose an AI script for them. That will tell them to attack bad guys. Also make sure tha "lantern" in the lower right hand corner is lit up, that turns on the scripts.

20. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    iOS 6.0 means no iPad 1

iOS 6.0 means no iPad 1 so I guess hope Santa brings a mini or iPad4 :eek:

Baldur's Gate is Epic best D&D ever!!!