Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I also have the same problem. Isn't AI script for for auto attacking? If I tell someone to attack then surey they should?

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Go to Character screen.
    Choose "customize"
    Choose "Script"

From there, most would choose "Standard script", but for ranged characters, I would choose "Ranged".

Whatever you choose to do, don't choose a script where the NPC's casts spells automatically, that's not advisable, you have to be careful when you cast them, and if you let the AI decide, you'll soon run out of spells used on small critters when you need them against a dangerous opponent.

3. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #343 Sheinfell, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    [RESOLVED] Map location markers disappeared

@TrentO:
    Could you have a look at this, please?
    On my current game, after a certain point (~13 days gametime) all the location markers on the maps disappeared. I also noticed that two areas I had visited before - Candlekeep and a wilderness area - now have completely blacked out maps again.
    I found one earlier save (~3 days gametime) where the markers still show up, so it is not a general problem, but rather seems related to a specific line of savefiles.

This is an inconvenience, as now I have to remember where everything is.
    Also, I do not know if this bug is fixable for existing savefiles, or if I have to go back / start over (which I am not inclinded to do). Well, it does not encourage me to continue playing at the moment, in case existing savefiles cannot be fixed.

-----
    EDIT/UPDATE: Forget about this, my mistake. The toggle marker function is there on the iPad as well. It's just not exactly obvious, because their are no tooltips for the buttons. Turned them back on, all good.
    Now, wonder if the custom markers are there, too, and I just need to figure out how to use them :p
    Bit irritating, because most of the other option settings are game-wide, and not save-specific.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
  5. Myrmidon76

Myrmidon76 Active Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Ooh, how can I have missed this! So far I've had no reason to get a newer iPad (have the 1st gen version), but now... I used to play the original BG on PC for hours and hours (often had trouble getting to bed before 3 or 4 a.m. :eek:). Maybe one of the most addictive games ever, at least for me.

6. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #346 Sheinfell, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    No custom markers. Well, you can make your own journal entries, so that is something.
    @Trent: How's that for an extra feature on the iPad? Add the customer markers?

EDIT/UPDATE: forget about this, my mistake. The toggle marker function is there on the iPad as well. It's just not exactly obvious, because there are no tooltips for the buttons. Turned them back on, all good.
    Now, wonder if the custom markers are there, too, and I just need to figure out how to use them :p

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Cool, glad it solved it.

How do you toggle them, just for reference in case someone else runs into the problem?

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Toggle is the top left icon on Maps.

9. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Yep. In Area Map view, the diamond" with the skull on the right is for going to the worldmap.
    The one on the left - with the "N" - is for toggling the markers. When it has a bright white border around it, markers are on; otherwise off.

10. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Supposedly iOS 5/iPad 1 support is still in the cards, but with the rocky launch, Beamdog decided it was easier to push it out the door with narrower device/OS support.

But really, there are so many great reasons to get a newer iPad, I wouldn't want to wait if I were you.

11. TrentO

TrentO Member

Jun 20, 2011
    The custom map markers are not currently working on the iPad. It should be a touch hold to create a custom map marker. We've got it in as a bug and we will fix it.

Best,
    -TRent

12. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Is there any reason to keep gems/necklaces/books? Or are they just for selling?
    Also, is money limited?
    Loving the game so far, but sometimes it's very difficult to get into buildings.

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Good to hear you are working on that, Trent. I did not even miss them until someone mentioned it. Definitely will come in handy.

I also encountered some odd behaviour in the user journal:
    Entries I wrote showed up both under chapter1 & chapter2, disappeared completely when I closed & reopened the journal, or show up double under a chapter, with the exact same content.

No rush on those two, though, from what I saw on your forums, you have more pressing bugs to take care of.

And I really love that feature with the builtin user journal, and the custom markers. That is something more games should do, keep the notemaking inside the game. As far as I can remember, only Stonekeep (another classic, if you can find it, try it) did that too.

14. lenogden1

lenogden1 Active Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Chapter 2 31 days and still level 1?

Am I advancing fast enough? I'm trying to do the mines at mostly Level one characters. I got minsc, imoen, Khalid, jaheira, and dinaheir, and I'm a fighter type...

Am I ok?

15. TrentO

TrentO Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Our forums are a bit messy at the moment and in need of a good clean-up. It can be hard to tell which issues have been fixed and which issues are outstanding. We recently found a number of our PC related issues were related to users not doing windows updates.

We're finding issues and fixing them very quickly, the volume is due to the vast feature set the game has. I'm looking forward to rolling out the next update

-Trent

16. lenogden1

lenogden1 Active Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Sorry one more

Hurray!
    My main character is ready to level up for the first time!

Boo! When I go to he level up screen there us no proficiency points or skill points to place?

I do get a hp increase and a better thac0 but don't I get to add to my proficiency or skill?

17. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    Most gems and jewelry are just for loot, but keep an eye out for magic or quest related stuff. And some books are VERY powerful mojo. As in permanent stat increases. Magic stuff always comes with a blue background until it's identified, so don't feel you need to examine everything you come across.

I haven't played through BG1 before, but the biggest limit on money is patience. You could pick up every little thing to sell it, and juggle your inventory so you can carry it all, and wander around for random encounters to loot more. But at the end of the day, your time is worth something, so just take the best stuff and get on with the adventure. :D

18. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    This time around, your increase in skill is the improved THAC0. Only warrior classes get that every level.

Weapon proficiencies are more rare. Fighters get them every three levels, if I recall correctly, so enjoy your next level and make sure you specialize as much as you can in at least one weapon type and/or style.

19. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Ahh, had to deal with the ultimate dilemma today... Keep Khalid and Jahira or Minsc and his mage companion. Curse you Neera for wanting to keep you around... Ended up keeping Khalid and Jahira until I finished Naskhal Mines, then left them in Naskhal once I finished with that area, then went back and picked up Minsc and ... the mage. Obviously, couldn't care less about the mage, I just wanted Minsc back.

I don't think my group is any less fleshy than it was before I got Minsc back. Minsc is a better fighter than Khalid and he provides more entertainment value. I have Branwen, so I have a decent cleric for my healing needs. The new mage, well, she adds firepower and she can use a sling. Until level 3, Neera is feeling pretty useless until I can have her use a shortbow or a sling in addition to her spells.

20. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    I'm a terrible person. I let Khalid die because I needed a healer, but not a dorky fighter, then I punted Jaheira out for Branwen. :p

But every time I hear Branwen's goofy nordic accent, I know I made the right choice. :cool: