Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    It doesn't show exits though (at least not for me). It shows doors, but not the narrow area you need to tap on to actually go through an opening. Even then it doesn't even show all the doors, for example doors in towns that are obscured due to the camera angle don't get highlighted. Unless they do, and this is just another bug I'm experiencing.

I don't find any of that too much of a problem though, as I just pause the game and tap around until I hit the right spot.

2. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I think it only shows doors which are open.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Finally dropped the cash on this, was planning on waiting for a sale but I gave up :)

So far it seems ok but is rather buggy.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #404 Greyskull, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    Except Baldur's Gate had it's own grandparents, the SSI Gold Box series of computer D&D games.

Not to mention the awesome spinoffs like Mars 1889 (or something like that) and Buck Rogers.

5. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Does anyone know the exp/level cap for BG:EE?
    As it contains the "Tales of the Sword Coast" expansion, I expect the cap to be higher than for standard BG.
    I ask because I am still contemplating when to dualclass Imoen ;) with a higher level cap I can give her at least an additional thief level (7+ instead of 6).

6. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    As stranded said, the highlight button does doors, but not exits. I just discovered the sewers of Baldur's Gate completely by accident. The art doesn't show it (at least, not at night) and there's no cursor to reveal it, I just happened to try to move my party onto a manhole. I wonder how long I might have spent looking for the sewers.

And the whole-party selection button certainly is essential, but it's only easy to select one or all units. What I usually want to do is send my melee units after one target, and my missile units after another. On a PC, this is easy to accomplish either by band selecting or by shift-clicking on portraits. Neither technique has been effectively implemented on iPad.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #407 SkyMuffin, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    the cap is 161,000. for single class characters, that's level 8. for a dual class, you could make it to 6 for both for sure. possibly 7 if you are very careful and check the numbers (there's xp charts by class if you search for them).

there is a mod that removes the cap in the PC version, so if you've double-dipped like me, you could play to the cap on the iPad, then transfer your save over to PC and keep going. a solo character can get well over 500,000 xp from start to end.

8. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You might want to bring this up in their official forums, they take some notes of feedback there. Or approach the developer on Twitter - @TrentOster . He's pretty responsive.

Both sound like things that should be improved in the iPad version.

9. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Really struggling with this, it's crashing every 6-10 mins no matter what I do.

Am running on an ipad2 with firmware 6.0

Right now this was a waste as its unplayable with these crashes. Anyone know how to fix it?

10. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Crash

Is it crashing on all iPad even the iPad3 and iPad4? I wonder if they are using middleware or if it is straight native app?

And yes Baldur's Gate PC and all of the Gold Box games turbo awesome rocked!!!

11. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I've got it on iPad 4 and it's crashed twice in about 25 hours of play, which I consider more than acceptable.

12. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    That would be ok with me too. Right now I'm struggling to make 6-7 mins between crashes.

Are the crashes an ipad2 problem in particular? :(

13. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    What level are you on when you enter Nashkel Mines?

Also including the original versions on the PC, how many times have you played through the game? I get the feeling this game gets better with replays when you experiment with different classes and skills.

14. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I've taken a look over the the BG forums and dedicated fans have made a very clear, concise, and thorough list of every concern voiced in these forums. I'm going to wait for the next patch to drop, then bug Trent on Twitter about those two issues.

I'm actually pleased that they keep revisiting the patch to fix bugs, pushing back the release. Don't want to redownload a 2GB app for every little bug fix.

15. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    30 hours into it on an iPad 4. I haven't experienced a crash.

16. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Yep, the Gold Box series is the spiritual ancestor of the old BioWare games -- Tactical combat, mostly faithful rules adaptations, encounters that weren't always about combat.

Space: 1889 (by Paragon, based on the then-GDW tabletop RPG) wasn't a gold box title. Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace used the gold box engine for the melee combat sections (a custom engine was used for the rest of the game).

17. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Did a hard reset of my ipad2 then started a totally new game.

Been going 26 mins now and its crashed 5 times.

Devs: PLEASE fix it for us ipad2 users or perhaps give a refund if it cannot be fixed :(

18. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Oh my :/

Did you kill all other apps? Is the device jailbroken?

Is anyone else playing on an iPad 2?

19. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Yes I killed all other running apps, no one else is currently using the ipad
    And no, it's not jailbroken.

20. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm, I just became aware (at least, according to [sarcasm]trusty old wikipedia[/sarcasm]) that the iPad 2 has 512mb RAM - half of the RAM of the iPad 3 and 4, though double the RAM of the iPad 1.

Given that they delayed the iPad 1 release because of RAM, I wouldn't be sadly surprised if it was memory problems. I would suggest you to reach out to them through their support forums, and/or Twitter, @TrentOster .

Sorry, but can't help much more :|