Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    In my excitement I just turned to my 3 year old daughter and said "oh my god, the update for baldurs gate is out!"

She looked at me with a look that said, 'what the hell is wrong with you, weirdo.'

Kids these days.

Seems like a long list of bug fixes. Excellent.

2. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I really wish developers would ditch apple so I can ditch the ipad, this whole no expandable storage crap is getting old. had to clear out 4 gigs of space for this update.... and yes I know I can download it on my pc then transfer it over and it would take less space, but then that would require me to wait forever and a frickin today for the stupid think to sync, because why would anyone want to ever just transfer one game when they can spend the whole day transferring everything (apple logic).

Back on topic, hope this update is worth the hassle.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Have you considered buying several iPads each with 64 GB? You could keep different games on different devices.

4. colbycheese

colbycheese Member

Jan 16, 2013
    No way! Awesome.. Downloading now...

5. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Brilliant!!!!

6. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    With so many bug fixes and changes in the latest update, I have to ask......... Was there anything right with the game? Another game that's thrown into the wild as soon as possible to get the cash rolling in without proper play/bug testing just because the devs know they can throw an update at it when they want to.

Yes I sound cynical but it happens so often it's become the norm to throw a game out and let the players do free bug testing while the full enjoyment of the game comes to those who wait six months for the game to play like it was originally intended to play in the first place after a series of updates to iron out all the problems

7. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Wait, are you talking about the original bug-ridden release of Baldur's Gate, or the new bug-ridden Enhanced Edition?

I think the only place where bug-ridden games weren't the norm was in game consoles, and even those are moving toward ex post facto quality assurance.

And yes, a lot of the bugs these guys are fixing have been there since launch in 1998.

8. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I think the update means their still trying to improve a complex game long after you've given them your money no harm in that.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    That's just the nature of video games these days. It's not a sign of developers not caring, but rather, of small developers not having as much clout as large companies. The good thing is, bugs now get patched within weeks or even days, rather than the months and months you used to have to wait for a game to finally get fixed.

As far as this game-- there were a couple of moderately bad issues like targeting exits and loot piles, as well as some crashes, but otherwise it has been pretty stable and i've played through twice already. Also consider that this game is HUGE compared to most iOS RPGs.

10. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The problem with Baldur's Gate is that it's an old game written for the original Windows 95, and the code was an absolute mess, according to the devs.

Very often, when they fix one thing or add a new thing, something breaks in the code somewhere else, and new bugs appear.

We haven't had a lot of updates for the iPad, as they've had a lot of issues with memory management to get iPad 1 to run, and implementing a more precise targeting system, but on the PC, there's been a whole host of updates, they're a very small team of around 13 men, and they've must have busted their backs for that to happen.

I haven't had time to play a longer session, but after a quick 10 minute session I can tell you all that its night and day since the last update in regards to the targeting system on the iPad. It just works a charm!

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm not going to flame you, I understand completely why you want a refund.
    I just don't understand why you're having the issues you have on the iPad 2, even after trying all the known solutions to release more memory on your device. It's very strange, as I haven't had any issues with neither my iPad 2 nor my iPad 3...

I'm sorry the update didn't fix it for you, it sucks big time. :(

12. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    lol.
    :)

13. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Sorry but large companies game have as - if not more - bugs than small companies games...

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    but we're talking about this game, which is by Beamdog, which is relatively small? so your point is irrelevant?

15. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    #515 Dahak, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Did you try powering down your iPad and restarting after downloading the update?

16. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    After having a short 30min play session it seems the update made alot of good improvements to the UI.

I certainly am not a fussy gamer. The fact I can relive my childhood through playing an outstanding RPG is brilliant. And I can play in on the train, in bed, on the toilet, wherever I want.

So yes there were bugs initially and it made the game a bit of a pain. But now with the updates it seems much easier to play, much more enjoyable and overall has me very excited.

17. link6616

link6616 Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Finally! But wasn't this update supposed to bring iPad 1 support? Anyone know if it managed that?

18. Andellyn

Andellyn Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Anyone know how (or if) we will be able to import our characters from BGEE1 to BGEE2 on the iPad? I can see how this would work on a desktop with the file system, but I don't know how it would work on the iPad.

19. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    damn what a smart kid! she must be a gumball, regular show or adventure time fan ;)

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Get iFunBox at http://www.i-funbox.com/

It took me a while to figure out that I had to use the iFunBox Classic tab for it to work.. It doesn't work if you just click the "Managing App Data and click the Baldur's Gate icon.

I clicked "iFunBox Classic" ->"Use Application->"Baldur's Gate->"Library"->"Save and imported from my PC.

It allowed me to continue my game I play on the pc.
    It's a good and fairly easy way to do it until a cloud save alternative is implemented to work with windows.