Barren Roads: Multiplayer Apocalypse Fallout/DayZ Survival Game iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by voncarp, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    #301 Based Xatu, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Not only that, it's against forum rules.

2. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    First,Welcome to TA Forum,then,Please,please,i know You Guys Are new on TA Forum,so,Like everyone has taken the first steps here,if You simple want to ask for beta tesintg,here The steps instead of writing here You're potentially sensible data,so>touch The icon on The devs name,here pop up "send a PM"put you're data here,a short description explain The devs why You want to beta test,and you're e-mail,device,an OS,put you're e-mail here on the thread,and I talk to all of you guys new on TA FORUM,don't post on this,or every thread you're e-mail(especially if it's the iTunes/App store)related to every account,this can be turn as a bad think if in wrong hands,be carefully,do it in this way,thanks

3. Tylerdarden

Tylerdarden Active Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Sweden
    This game has potential if enough time given to it. Saw the videos and subscribed to your channel *Dunniebrasco*
    Impressive, it looks like manhunt+infamous+fallout feeling. I hope there's enough rpg and good multiplayer in it. If then, it will beat any game on appstore, release it asap and do updates regularly. Dont leave it and abonden it like the guys did to Iesabel on appstore *great diablo like rpg, but no server or updates*

4. Bad_Trip

Bad_Trip Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Production Director
    The Bay to Nashville
    ^this game is multiplayer only, so yes it will have awesome multiplayer.

The AppStore desperately needs a good multiplayer RPG type game, and post apocalyptic is the perfect setting IMO. And VonCarp is not going to bail on the game like you suggested he might do, as he's been building it by himself for quite a while.

What's revolutionary about this game is it has cross platform multiplayer, which (AFAIK) will be the first AppStore game to do so. Mega excited for this game, more so than anything else!

5. Red_saaryn

Red_saaryn Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    Well since celes arca, izanagi samurai online, avabel, iruma, and that heart centered mmorpg arent enought?. ^#^ what the appstore need is a day z and this is the most qualified for that ( radiation island almost took barren roads throne^^ luckily they didnt )

6. Bad_Trip

Jul 17, 2014
    Production Director
    The Bay to Nashville
    Well Radiation Island's multiplayer is absolutely terrible lol. Like really, really bad. So I would say they're not even close to Barren Road's potential.

Especially the cross platform play. It will be pretty revolutionary in that aspect!

7. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    They are probably going to add a single player experience of not already have according to the dev here on the forum.

As for multiplayer rpgs? It's been done pretty well before with order and chaos and others, but this will definitely be a new kind of experience!

8. Red_saaryn

Red_saaryn Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    There ill be a system to own and decorate your own house?, that would be great ^^

9. Tylerdarden

Tylerdarden Active Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Sweden
    Anything new about this game? No new videos on youtube, i enjoy watching them!

10. Bad_Trip

Jul 17, 2014
    Production Director
    The Bay to Nashville
    As far as I know the beta is going to be released this month! he is polishing off the crafting system. You will be able to build forts/shelter for you and your allies to fend off the zombies. He is also working on player customization.

So considering the beta comes out within a month is say, then the full game shouldn't be too far off :) I'm so excited to play a game with some in depth multiplayer on mobile finally!

11. tahzblade

tahzblade Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    This game seems to be a good.

Hope it is XD

Will this becoming to android ?

12. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    The answer to your question has always been there

13. Its been a bit since I posted, so I'll do my best to give everyone an update. I definitely want to thank TouchArcade for giving me a short feature upcoming review.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/02/12/barren-roads-is-another-post-apocalyptic-survival-crafting-game-our-forums-are-excited-about/

That feature flooded all my inboxes. And thats a good thing. Particularly if you have a small team. So, I'm very appreciative. I do my best to try and respond and read every comment, so it did make things a bit challenging to respond to everyone, so apologies if I missed your comment.

I had a small test where I sent out a few builds that performed very poorly. I added so much new stuff that I neglected basic optimization. That was my fault. Since, then I've spent quite a bit of time going back and fixing things and bringing the framerate back up. My last build had an iPhone 5c running at 15-20FPS. Thats a no go. This current version has adjustable settings and an iPhone 5c will now run at 60FPS. Thats the max. But, in a large online game like this more players onscreen, the more FPS will suffer. I've added online features that will allow quite a number of players to get online without any performance hit as long they are not all onscreen at once. Thats not only an issue for Barren Roads, but any online game.

Having many players onscreen at once, most likely isn't going to happen often in Barren Roads. As soon as I've met anyone online, bullets started whizzing by me, so I don't suspect we are going to be on the same screen for long :) Thats the nature of these types of games.

Some new features I'm working on or added:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The featured TA article mentioned that Barren Roads was a survival crafting game. At the time it wasn't, but it is now. Chop those dead trees down. Gather materials. Start building a base. Barren Roads was initially a scavenger game. And it still is. You want to build a base now you can. Still working on the GUI a bit. The big hand is used to pick up and place your base/buildings components. Still a work in progress, but you should get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barren Roads is big. Very big. Going to need some wheels to get around. Vehicles are scare. And a vehicles are a big target. Protect yours. Upgrade it with armor you made from scrap materials, upgrade its fuel tank or add extra storage space for all the loot you found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, team up and ride shotgun or as a passenger. Or pick up your buddy and cruise the Wasteland. The multiplayer aspect of Barren Roads is the most difficult to do. If I didn't design Barren Roads with multiplayer in mind, it would be impossible to do at this point. Also, if this wasn't a multiplayer game, I would have long been finished and probably would have been finishing up Barren Roads 2 with a large forest :)

Let me know your thoughts. Want something in game? I'm the guy you want to talk to. :eek:

14. Vehicle customizations are added. Players can ride together. Hanging from the sides maybe I can add down the road. Going to need some special animations for that.

It is both. Even if you didn't have internet connection or had your device in flight mode, starting a game with LAN would default you to a single player game. But, I also added a button so you can just click to play single player. It plays exactly the same.

I plan to support it. A game of this scale is likely going to have some issues that may need fixed even after tested and released. I've had to rework the finishing kills. I'll go back and revisit it at some point. Once, I switched to new models, the kills clipped badly and were way off target. I am probably going to have to revisit my models again because they're a bit deformed after I added clothing to them. I'll get to it. But for now, it works.

Thanks for the confidence! I've quite a bit of time invested in this. Once, I got Greenlit on Steam, my instincts told me to go with the safe easy play and abandon a mobile version. But, I didn't and am not going to.

Radiation Island is pretty good game. Its very well designed. Definitely recommend that if your into survival games. Its actually the only survival game I played if you don't count Fallout Hardcore mode. Barren Roads, although in a similar genre, has very little similarities in gameplay like Radiation Island. Interesting choice they made, not giving you the ability to play multiplayer up front.

Not a specific system yet. But, something like this could work. Especially, since I just added some functionality for creating bases.

15. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Thank you so much for the huge update voncarp :) literally everything about those update posts hit the nail on the head for this game.

P.s decorations for houses would be amazing and those graphics look amazing!!

16. swimmingcub

swimmingcub Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    This game is going to be so much fun!!! When it comes out I'm gonna get a couple of my buddies and attack a raider outpost, hopefully they are implemented? And if they are I hope there really tough to beat

17. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Just a thought, you mentioned about many things happening on screen can greatly suffer the fps in which I do understand that is normal, since that really stress out the cpu in particular in most cases. As I understand that you have graphical settings included now for different type of device to allow them to run at best they can be. Maybe you can also consider a dynamic option where the engine will dynamically scale the setting based on what's happening on screen with the ability to allow priority towards visual / performance. And this is an optional setting where users can enable or stick with their preferred setting. What do you think?

PS: the latest screens look fantastic thou, can't wait to get on hand with it!

18. tahzblade

Nov 27, 2012
    #318 tahzblade, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Deleted post

19. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    #319 kopicha, Mar 6, 2015
    Dude I haven't been rude or trying to be offensive but just purely telling you that what you asking about is there. You are taking things the wrong way. Sorry if you didn't understand what I meant but I only guess you might have miss that part which is why I took the effort to actually quote the specific part that answer what you need for you. :confused:

20. tahzblade

Nov 27, 2012
    #320 tahzblade, Mar 6, 2015
    Sorry, I've had a bad week, it has really affected my current mentality. I haven't been thinking clearly.

Thanks for your previous reply and again, really sorry.