Barren Roads: Multiplayer Apocalypse Fallout/DayZ Survival Game iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by voncarp, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Wow just wow. I came upon this thread and discovered two awesome survival games at once (this and The Wilds). I can't wait to try this game out.

If you need an iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display) on iOS 8.1.1 tester let me know. I'm definitely willing haha

2. Yes, I do. Please add me on Twitter: vonstarone. I'll set you up. It's important at this moment for me to communicate and start games online. So I use Twitter for DM. I have another build I'll send out this week that should allow you to stay online in my test environment and play as much as you want.

If anyone wants to test I need your test flight email, location, and type of device.

I also need iPhone 6 regular testers, iPad air, Ipad air 2, and iPad 3. I need to setup and test these devices. So please contact me via Twitter: vonstarone.

3. Utfan

Utfan Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2013
    iPhone 6 with latest OS. Any way to test without a Twitter? Great work on the game too!

Thanks!

4. Yes. Send me DM here. I prefer realtime though. I fix things fast. I'm not that responsive here.

5. BunkeredChimp

BunkeredChimp Active Member

May 5, 2014
    I have a iPhone 6 regular and iPad Air, running the latest software I'd love to test this out also!

6. Krizzle1

Krizzle1 Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Tested Barren Roads a few days ago and the online play is very smooth with very very rare lag. The gameplay is pretty cool too, the foundation of the game is there, it just needs a few things changed (GUI), and some features added.

It was cool stumbling upon an abandoned town, having to sneak past zombies to get yourself to shelter.

There's very few faults/bugs that I found with my testing of Barren Roads, just suggestions of features to be added.

I'd really like to see the Single Player mode too, playing online drains quite a bit of battery (as with any game)

All in all, Barren Roads is definitely a game you'll want to keep your eye on

7. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Awesome. I just followed you on Twitter as @LanceTheeGamer. My TestFlight email is [email protected] and again my device is an iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display) on iOS 8.1.1.

8. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    New Images (beta)

[​IMG]
    Looking for Z at night...not recommended

[​IMG]
    Z heard us shooting and snuck up on us...that's right, they can hear you shoot and investigate

[​IMG]
    Even in the apocalypse good carpeting is hard to find

[​IMG]
    My first Z kills!

[​IMG]
    This is what getting killed and trusting people looks like

[​IMG]
    At least I have plenty of 5.56 ammo for this......

Hey guys, Voncarp is still tweaking and polishing the game, above are some screens of are latest escapades on my IPad Air 1. There was exploring, some scares, lots of Z killing, and at the end.....cold cold betrayal.

Von likes feedback, so if you guys have any suggested GUI or placement of icons or features, let him know! Am I promoting this game mercilessly? Yes! Am I a paid promoter....sadly no haha. I think this game has a lot of potential and can't wait to see this published!

9. BackupHero

BackupHero Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    Looks awesome! How smooth is the framerate?

10. BackupHero

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    This might be a silly question, but how will the character customization be? Will we have a certain set of player models we can choose, or will we be able to build one from scratch?

11. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    I can't speak for the dev, but I know it's something he's talked about adding, I know it's something I would love to see. Might be a add on after the game is released. Frame rate on my iPad Air runs anywhere from 30 to 60 depending on what's going on. Unfortunately I have crappy Internet, so I tend to lag more...I miss American internet sometimes.....

12. The gui is pretty ugly at the moment but very informative. On the top left are two numbers: one for FPS and one for a generic ping.

I do ask testers to post feedback. But, I don't ask them to only write good feedback and post the best pictures. What they post is up to them.

In Woodrith's screen shot he seems to fluctate between 30-60 FPS, depending what goes on in the scene. His ping varies 214-506 with an outlier of 34000. The lower the better. There are many factors that contribute to ping: Internet connectivity, location, other applications, all kinds of stuff. My ping while playing with Woodrith was around 80-200. I am in the US (Hawaii) and I think he is in Germany. My test server is located in California.

One of the reasons I ask testers for their location is my test server is currently located in the US. As I expand testing, I hope to add servers in Europe and Asia. I am not adding many. I can't afford it :( But, I want to have some available though.

Your not limited to my servers only. Early in the thread, I described of many ways to play Barren Roads. You can start a server on your own PC, play LAN with friends locally, get your own dedicated servers, or find and join other servers that people have started. Or play solo. My approach isn't like dayZ or other online games that sell servers. All the server files that you will need, I am going to provide for free.

13. BackupHero

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    Cool thanks, cause I have an iPad Air 1 as well.

14. BackupHero

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    Thanks for the info man. What you're doing is amazing!! As much as I'd love to test, my internet is pretty bad for that sort of thing. The single reason why I play mostly singleplayer games. But I'll be one of the first ones to get this game on release.

15. I only have one model right now and he is boring me too. I am going to add character customization, I just want to make sure that this one character works well before I start adding customization options.

At the moment I have to individually mount all the weapons, armor, clothing my self. I have over 200 mount points and counting based on all the equipment I have. So, instead of having to redo all these mount point for 5 different models, I have to make sure this one model is working properly first.

I just added helmets and machine guns. I still want to add sniper rifles and rocket launchers. Once, I get a good base of equipment I'll add character customization.

Its likely going to work with fixed bodies, heads, skin tone, hairstyle, and gender. You will pick the pieces that you want for your character.

Thanks for the interest!

16. BackupHero

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    Sounds even better. I don't want to sound too excited, but I am (really) looking forward to this. Thumbs up.

17. The scope and complexity of Barren Roads continues to grow much larger than I anticipated. By continuing to add on requests from testers and others, Barren Roads is beginning to really shape up into a different beast of its own.

One of the most asked questions that I have is "will there be vehicles?" Now you know.

I sampled a buggy and was blown away with the results. I think today I spent more time playing Barren Roads than making it :eek:

The framework is almost set and at this point, I am adding features to Barren Roads at a lightning pace. Rocket Launchers? Got it. Scopes and silencers? Ready. Whats that metal plate you found on a tank? Weld it to your Dune Buggy. Tools. Workbenches. Combining. Hunting. Melee. Closing in on a 100 different weapons.

Multiplayer Lan, Online Server, or single player. Check.

Soon enough, Barren Roads will be the GTA of apocalyptic open worlds. You'll be able to do almost anything, but you won't be able to do nothing. You have to keep moving, scavenging, and building your character. I couldn't help myself. I had to add RPG features.

These are iOS screenshots. Imagine what this monster is going to look like on a pc :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BackupHero

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    That's epic! Drivable vehicles is a great addition this type of game. Also, if it's this easy for you to add stuff, then yeah...this game could be endlessly expanded upon, like Minecraft.

19. xsprint

xsprint Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Uhuuuuuuuuuu. When you will take my money? Want to PLAY hahahahh

20. HarryChoppa

HarryChoppa New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Mfi controller support

Will this game have Mfi controller support? Thanks, HarryChoppa