Universal Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fermenter, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Fermenter

Fermenter Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    As far as "objective" goes, I'm having a really tough time deciding which direction to take this. I'm stuck! Everytime I boot up to develop, I just keep having ideas to polish what I have, or add more enemies/etc. As of now, there's not really a goal set in place, but I have some ideas and I need your votes/input:

Should I
    1. make it about gathering stuff until you have enough to progress/killing stuff until you've killed enough to progress.
    2. make it about staying alive in the galaxy as long as possible as more and stronger enemies arrive/attack.
    3. both? gather resources from dead enemies/etc to get to a harder galaxy.
    4. do something completely different that i haven't thought about.

I'm thinking probably 3 is the way to go, but maybe you know better than I do. Help get me unstuck and let me know what you want to see in the game.

Thanks so much for even looking at this.

Here's a link to the free alpha demo from a while back, and look at the devlog here for more recent gifs.

2. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I dunno, the more I look at those options, the more they look like separate game modes.

3. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    you might be right. it's tough to think through how it'll all play when everything is put together. maybe I ought to just actually put together one of these game modes and figure it out from there after seeing what that feels like. thanks for your input, dude!

4. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    No problem! But what if you wanted to do something original? Something that only occurs in your game? Maybe we can help come up with a new game mode with new objectives?

5. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    oo, that rare and sought after originality. that elusive beast. i do want it, but i've hit a wall of indecisiveness. to find the new stuff I feel I have to keep moving, but I can't decide in which direction to keep moving. or maybe if i stay still and sit and listen, I can find it and catch it.

This creative block is making me feel a bit loopy but also poetic. maybe it's time to actually write the story?

Anyways, if you've got even a tiny idea of a direction to go in, let me know!

6. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    There are a couple of original game modes that I'm thinking of, but they're just theories, they might not be fun or useful in practice. I'll do my best.

7. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    #27 qdiddy, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    For example, Base/Planet defense, beast hunter, gladiator combat, I'll think of others. Wait! What about the "Quest for the legendary Scarf"?

8. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    But then again, it is your game, and a fantastic looking one at that. I'll stand by whatever design choice you choose.

9. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks again for the sweet ideas qdiddy! They're definitely helpful. :D

---

First off, shout out to Christian of Indie Game Enthusiast. Check out some insightful reviews here: http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/

I've been working on some promotional aesthetics and practical iOS icon and gui menu stuff, and I think I'm pretty happy with how things are looking, but I'd of course love some feedback. Check it out and let me know what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More game-y stuff soon!

10. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    *drools on the floor*

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    You know your killing me with all of this teasing. First day buy!!!!!!

12. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haha, you guys make me feel cool. :cool:

13. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    9/5/2014

Shotgun, stars, and shiny stuff.

[​IMG]

I guess it's a bit hard to see the stars in this gif... :(

Also, I've got it looking rad on multiple screensizes. Check it out on the iPad below. My current process is to develop for the smallest screensize first (iPhone 5 in my case, 1136px x 640px) and once I've got it looking good small I then work on responsiveness and scaling things up.

[​IMG]

Also, I've got some sweet ambient beats in the mix. It's tough to find the right musical sound for this game, but this'll do for now.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-armstrong-27/baseless-ambient-bg-track-wip

And most importantly, I think I've got a direction to go for the actual objective of the game, and I'll be posting about that shortly.

14. MasterEx

MasterEx Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Love the icon and the general vibe of the teasers
    Hope to see more and a release window by any chance

Best regards

15. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Lookin dope, ever thought of a bullet time?

16. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks! Glad you like it and hopefully I can nail down a release window sometime soon.

It's odd I keep seeing people calling the images/gifs in this thread "teasers". I'm thinking of this thread as more of a development log. A journal of my progress. A place to get feedback on the newest additions.

Bullet time, eh? Perhaps as some sort of power-up, but I think the game shines at this almost hectic non slo-mo speed.

17. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've got a question! What do you think about this for the gameplay objective/rules?

1. 1. arrive in first galaxy. filled with enemies to kill that give you points upon doing so.
    2. 2. you have 120 seconds until warp/end of round.
    3. 3. you need to rack up at least 10 pts in this time.
    4. 4. if an enemy hurts you, you lose your hp. if you run out of hp and get hurt, you lose points instead. (or maybe vice-versa?)
    5. 5. 120 seconds passes: if you have at least 10 points, you keep going. if you didn't collect enough, game over.
    6. 6. any points over 10 at the end of 120 seconds can be spent on upgrades(weapons/hp/speed/fire-rate/ammo/etc) inbetween galaxies/rounds.
    7. 7. repeat! warp to next galaxy. same thing as last time, but you need to get more points and/or the enemies are tougher.

Let me know if that makes sense, and if it does, would you like it? I'd love any feedback/questions.

18. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Sounds intrigueing

19. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm just worried it might be confusing. Might be too many things intertwined.

While I figure this out, here's a gif I made after giving the little guy an eyeball. Does this enhance the experience at all? Cute? No?

[​IMG]

20. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I just wanna say that this looks like the freaking hottest game I've seen all year! I loved DAVID, but this looks even freaking better.