Universal Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fermenter, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    #41 Glorkbot, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    It's good to imagine the complicated scenario and then pare down. There's probably a simpler solution.

I'd like his eye to face the direction that he's shooting, not the direction that he's running. Running backwards while shooting enemies chasing you feels badass! Running forward while shooting behind you blindly feels kinda cowardly.

Or maybe I'm full of crap. It probably doesn't matter.

2. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm not sure I like the eyeball. Maybe if it was a costume idea?

3. Fermenter

Fermenter Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow! Thanks again, man. Really encouraging. Hopefully I can deliver on those expectations. :p

4. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    oh dang I didn't see this earlier. I think you're right. Someone on tigsource said the same thing. it definitely looks like he's afraid and just running away rather than blasting offensively. Thanks for the input; a little detail like this definitely matters.

aw, really? I think some appearance customization could be a feature later on, but I think I do want them all to be able to see. could you explain a bit more as to why you don't like it, and maybe I can fix it?

5. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Well then, maybe I just had to get used to it. It is starting to grow on me. :)

6. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I knew I'd win you over! :cool:

7. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Oh you...

8. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    9/9/2014

Still pondering the gameplay, so I might as well make things look good while I'm pondering.

These little guys are are just being too cute. (And sometimes they even hop from planet to planet. <3)

[​IMG]

Also changed some things up with the larger enemy turrets. pointy! Here's a close up in which you can see the tip get brighter when it's charged, and the particles and recoil when it shoots. Inspired by the big enemy tank things from Halo.

[​IMG]

Here's another gif showing some action-movie quality moves as I jump and slide across the barrel of the big turret. Also you can see here, that I've made the enemy flying jet things a little more lively by making the wings come in if they're going fast.

[​IMG]

Still a little clunky as of now, but hey, it's on it's way! Would it help to know what's going on if I added a subtle mouse cursor or something in these gifs?

Last thing, and it's pretty important I think. The demo I have up (http://fermenter.itch.io/baseless) has been downloaded over 200 times, and that's sweet, but I've made so much progress since then, and it's a ton better because of that. I'm not sure what I should do about the current demo. I don't want people to play it and think that the final version will be much like it. I feel like it's probably doing more harm than good at this point. At the time I needed the feedback, and I'm super glad I put it up, but I'm thinking I should probably take it down now. What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks for all the encouragement during this development. It's really been awesome so far. Also, I'm always open to suggestions so keep em coming!

9. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    #49 qdiddy, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Howdy do, Fermenter! Suggestions, eh? Well the idea is probably terrible, but I just love the name of game mode "Baseless Base Defense". I'm very cautious with my suggestions because I have to remind myself that it is your game, and seeing that I have no idea how much effort is put into coding, I try to be careful. Because, no one likes a backseat driver. As for the current product, it looks absolutely amazing. I love the kind of ninja, matrix-y moves we will be able to pull off.

10. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    9/16/2014

Hi Touchers! Carter Dotson of TouchArcade kindly wrote an article for Baseless today! (http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/15/baseless-announced/) Thanks to Carter for helping a little dev spread the word.

Time to show off this new enemy concept:

[​IMG]

The view is a bit zoomed out, but I think you can get the gist. A big ol' slow-flying electricity shooting baddie! I'm not sure how I feel about the actual enemy ship sprite. The electricity aesthetic was an accident I stumbled into, but I really like it. It's that low-poly geometry that's totally in style right now.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'm off to get back at dev'ing. Wish me luck!

11. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looking for a little feedback:

So I want to use the scarf itself as the hp gauge, but I'm not quite sure which way to do it. Opinions?

[​IMG]

Or possibly a combination of the two, in which the non-filled portion of the scarf flashes when the character gets hit/hurt and then fades to nothing?

I think having a visual scale of where the "max" health is is good and probably nessesary, but I think the two-tone scarf may be too eye-catching and isn't as elegant/simple looking as I'd like.

12. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I like option 1

13. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    it's unanimous! #1 is the way to go.

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes 1 is a great choice.

15. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
  16. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's my combo win/win of those hp scarf options. Does this make sense?

[​IMG]

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So the purple thing on the left is also a health bar?

Personally I think you should go with option 2. Displays the health in comparison to your max health in a minimalist way. The more you can minimize the HUD the better

18. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I guess I should've clarified/gotten rid of the purple bar on the left. That bar on the left won't be there anymore (or at least it won't show health/hp). The only way to see your health and max-health would be by looking at your scarf.

The full scarf flashes when you take damage or get healed to show your maximum hp. It flashes and fades rather than staying like that because having that precise knowledge isn't totally essential to playing and it would be too much of an eye-catcher if it were to stay like that. Does this make sense?

19. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    10/8/2014

Long time no update! Lots of work being done, but it's not necessarily pretty/shareable. See?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to figure out what the gui/hud should look like, and, more importantly, the general gameplay objective/flow. Trying a bunch of ideas and seeing what sticks. Getting closer! I've felt stuck for quite a while now, but I AM GETTING CLOSER. Wish me luck, and gimme all the ideas, plz.

20. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Looks good