Universal Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fermenter, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Fermenter

Fermenter Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks!

Currently working on some sweet powerups and special weapons. Here's the funnest one so far, inspired by the great Miley Cyrus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some behind-the-scenes stuff is happening too, and my game is starting to feel like a game. They grow up so fast! <3

2. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Another quick update:

I've been playing around with a bunch of power up ideas, like the wrecking ball gif from earlier. Below is another possibility; a little robot ally turret guy.

[​IMG]

These powerups would only last a short amount of time, but they can make a huge difference in how you play for that short amount of time. Furthermore, these are stackable, so you can for instance get the rapid fire powerup WITH the multishot powerup and be a powerhouse for a brief time. Some pretty interesting combos happen.

I'm pretty happy with how things are coming along lately. Wish me luck with the rest!

3. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Lookin good! Keep up the good work fermenter!

4. MasterEx

MasterEx Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Looks awesome cant wait to get my hands on it

5. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the continued support, dudes. You'll be playing soon enough!

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I've been keeping a slightly closed eye on this thread. I only glimpse at the amazing gifs. I don't really want to completely know everything about the game. I want to be surprised. All I know it's a first hour buy for me! :D

7. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haha... I understand the wanting to keep things hidden from yourself. Discovery of all the neat details during a first-time play is kinda magical. I think about that and it almost makes me want to stop doing this open development journal thing I've been doing for this project, but I think I'm going to see it though the full way this time. It's an experiment!

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So what's the control scheme gonna be like exactly? Sorry if you've already answered this.

I'll try and brainstorm some cool powerup ideas, and knowing the controls will help

9. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    As of now, the control scheme is the simplest one I could think of.

1. Touch and hold around the player to aim and shoot. This shoots a simple bullet towards your finger, and will continue to fire bullets until you lift your finger. Consequently, the recoil from the shooting allows you to move around and fly through space and in between planets.
    AND
    2. Double tap to activate your special/alt-fire. (ex. to shoot your shotgun at your double tap)

(^I'm not sure if I'll keep the double tap control though. I could just force the player to fire the shotgun if they have it "equipped" or something like that. We'll see!)

Right now, I'm trying to think of more alt-fire weapons and/or more pickup-able timed powerups (like the helper-drone guy from yesterday's gif). Feel free to bounce any other ideas off at me too!

Thanks JCho! :cool:

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Sweet, that's what I was hoping.

What about a charge cannon style thing, similar to the purple powerup in tilt to live. It charges up for a second then sends out a big blast in the direction you point

11. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah dude, I love that idea. It'll create some cool tension with moving enemies. Might have to lead the target a bit. Cool!

12. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's been a whole week without sharing any pretty gifs? How rude of me... I've gotta make a few more, but here's one to hold you over until then. I'm working on some more enemy type variations. This guy sucks.

[​IMG]

Also, I'm wondering if I should think about Kickstarter and/or Greenlight. Hmmn...

13. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    How dare you deprive us of our pretty gifs!

It is coming along very nicely, great job.

I love the planets, reminds of the little prince. I was actually trying to do something with a similar layout (very different gameplay), although it has since evolved in a bit of a different one.

14. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks!

I'm not familiar with "the little prince". Also, I'm guessing "Stranded" is the game you're referring to? Looks rad! I definitely see some similarities.

15. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    Actually no, not Stranded. Stranded is basically completed. This is a new one in pre-production, completely unannounced since I am still trying to figure out some details (and which platform).

The little prince is a classic (children) story in which the main character is usually drawn in his tiny little planet:
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/images/large/indyart/minimal/The_Little_Prince.jpg

16. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh! Well I'm intrigued to see this new similar project.

And you're right, The Little Prince looks quite a lot like Baseless. Interesting!

17. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Really really looking great. :)
    Doing simple yet powerful graphics is a lot harder than most people think. Good job!

I hope you'll stay on a one-finger control scheme to stay as simple as possible.

18. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Man, and creating diversity within the simplicity while still remaining powerful is even harder!

One-finger is the plan! Wish me luck. :cool:

19. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Absolutly! Simplicity is complex. Hiding a fly in a chunky soup is easy compared to a volume of pure crystal water.
    You can hide many things with complexity.

Freehand perfect circle drawing is hard to master.

20. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Interesting ideas! I don't want to hide any flies, but rather reveal behaviors and deeps truths as consisely as possible. :p It's odd because this game is becoming reminiscent of a bullet hell game, which is often connotated with complexity. Hopefully the simple art will serve the gameplay style well. We'll see!