Bastion (universal) [$4,99 -> $0,99]

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Pipipitchu, May 7, 2013.

1. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Because *everyone* raves about Bastion, not just these forums.

Go for it, and you'll be glad you did. Just never play it on silent. That would be bad.

2. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Bastion is AMAZEBALLS.

Buy it while its cheap. An experience you won't forget!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Bastion is crap. Now go away.

4. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well this game has multiple awards and accolades across multiple platforms..It is a very well established game from every where it went...

By all means do not get this game..:cool:

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I may be the lone person who didn't enjoy Bastion that much. Bought it launch day because I bought into the hype. Thought the game had amazing production value but I didn't care for the actual game play. The controls were fine (tried both methods)...but I didn't like the flow of the game.

Basically, to me, the game is empty (well, it's the setting of the game to me)...and I'd walk around to find the next enemy trigger point to fight the next wave of enemies. All the breaks in the action really killed the flow for me. Perhaps if there was a more continuous stream of enemies without all the breaks I'd like this more. That and I was burned out on these type of games way before I bought Bastion.

That said, despite my complaints, it's not a bad game at all. Just expect a highly produced with an average gameplay (at least to me). And for 0.99...you can do a lot worse.

6. Jazzpha

Apr 26, 2012
    Except that without the breaks in the combat there'd be little to no room for the narration or the story, both of which contribute immensely IMO to the overall impact of the game. It wouldn't be nearly as immersive or emotionally rewarding if it was a straight-up arena brawler.

But hey, to each their own.

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #67 tops2, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah..looks like perthguy may have been looking for some dissenting opinions instead of all responses just saying its an awesome game and just buy it.

But otherwise..we all just have different opinions. No right or wrong. =)

8. NateM926

NateM926 Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I already have this on Xbox, but have yet to boot it up. How would you say it compares? I know it's the same game, but are the controls superior enough on Xbox to warrant not playing on the go?

I would run it on iPhone 5 btw.

9. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I'd say play it on the Xbox if you haven't played it yet (especially since you already own it).

It doesn't use virtual joysticks, so it relies on where you tap on the screen for movement. It works well, but with my fat finger, I found myself rolling off the map a lot because I couldn't see the screen.

10. Thegerk

Thegerk Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Bastion does have the option of virtual joysticks, although I'm not sure how well that would work out on an iphone.

I played it on Xbox, PC, and IPad. My preference is as follows: IPad (VJ) > Xbox > PC (mouse and board). This is mainly because I enjoyed playing it while I laid in bed (a luxury I don't have currently with my Xbox).

I will say that some of the game, especially the weapon challenges were far easier on the IPad than the Xbox. This is likely due to compensations that make the game easier for VJ.

The "follow the finger" gameplay option felt gimmicky to me and got old quickly.

11. Jazzpha

Apr 26, 2012
    I switched to the classic controls on my phone almost immediately, and they controlled perfectly, which I was not expecting at all. I didn't die once because the controls messed me up, which is my benchmark for solid virtual controls. Once you get a hang of how the weapon selection buttons work, you're off to the races.

12. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Well, I'm just an idiot. I had no idea I could switch the controls.

Guess I'll have to try it out...

13. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    Just picked this up. Its awesome :)

14. Firefly0704

Firefly0704 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I would definitely get this............if I could play it on my iPhone 4. :(

15. crazy dad

crazy dad Active Member

Oct 21, 2010
    This is worth getting and waiting until one has the device to run it on while on sale. Great game.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Wow,.. i dint realize there are still some still rockin 3rd gen ipod touch.

17. Parvin

Parvin Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I thought this game was crap and almost passed on it. Searched for reviews and still wasn't convinced.

Thought oh hell it's only 0.99c so I bought it. Damn I should have spent the $4.99 ages ago because I was missing out on all this fun.

Great art and gameplay. A must have

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Since your already in the forums, you shouldve just read through impressions and get a general idea as to what the game offers, and if it is good enough for you. This game has had nothing but praise in 90% of the posts, from the ipad forums when it was just ipad-only, to the universal version in the iphone thread, all the way through to the sale thread.

19. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Don't know if i should just pay the current price drop, then play this in the near future. I don't really like playing big epic games on my tiny screen. I like quick-fire games. What do you think i should do? i may get an ipad in the future... who knows.

20. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    If you're even thinking of getting an iPad, I'd definitely grab this. :)