Battle Academy 50% off!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Jun 17, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I would grab this but I'm waiting for history great battles, (which is soon if I remember right)

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    This is a 40 dollar PC game. It isn't going to suddenly go free. It isn't a port of a decade+ old game like KOTOR. It sells on Amazon, NOW, for 40 bucks.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Just visited Matrix Games. It's a dual sale-> the PC version is on sale for 25 bucks. So ipad2gamer, you can always grab that version.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm all for premium wares but after finally getting this I regret my purchase, it's not a great port to the platform regardless of how much the PC version costs. It's very cumbersome, laggy and bland, Which is a shame because there is a good tactical game here if you didn't have to fight the interface.

5. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Wow. We must be playing a different game. Shadows notwithstanding, this is an incredible port of a great WW2 TBS game. I have zero lag on my iPad 3.

:confused:

--DotComCTO

6. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Grab the lite version or the PC/Mac demo. Try it. Then tell me that this is a £2 max game. You're comparing a top-notch, highly regarded PC/Mac/iPad WW2 TBS to 95% of the dreck on the App Store, and that's not a fair comparison. That said, maybe games like this aren't for you?

:cool:

--DotComCTO

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Is a pacific campaign an expasion?
    I just like the setting, it underused in WW2 games.

8. september

Sep 14, 2012
    If you can scroll smoothly without it jerking I'd be very surprised.

But you're right, we must be playing completely different games.

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yeah I know,
    I've tried the lite version of this and don't think it's for me anyway.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #30 iPadisGreat, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    Battle Academy seems to focus on the western front. There have been a lot of user created scenarios and campaigns released for free download, provided you have the space on your iPad... Off hand, I can't recall if a Pacific scenario was one of them, as I did not have enough space to keep them installed.

However, the base game and the IAP expansions are already baked into the inital install, so the install size is kept very reasonable if you do not go hog wild like I did and download every single user generated scenario/campaign...

Disclaimer: I bought all the IAP expansion campaigns.

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Wow.. That's a bit rich :/

12. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I just took a moment to start up the game and bring up a medium sized map with a good number of units on it. Not the slightest bit of jerkiness in the scrolling or in the replays. I also changed the zoom back and forth and still no lag. I'm playing on a 64 GB iPad 3 that's pretty filled up with music and apps.

:confused:

--DotComCTO

13. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    The IAP add-ons were on sale for $4.99 each in December.

14. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    There isn't a Pacific theater expansion or mission in the official game. There are a couple of very simple Pacific mods, some of the very first ones done, on the official download list from in-game. But they are not especially involved (no new gfx etc).

It's a setting we have talked about a few times, but haven't gotten ourselves a solid enough design to build a full campaign as yet.

That said, work is ongoing on Amaris' awesome naval mod, which is Pacific based and includes ships, carriers, airstrikes, AND Marines in island warfare. It's a pretty spectacular mod :)

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=40351

Cheers

Pip

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks pip.
    Thats actually a neat name.

16. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Thought it was a great deal for $20 when I got it. $10 for this game should be an instant buy for strategy gamers.

17. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Just to clarify, the expansions available to buy are all independent of the main game, and entirely optional. Each has a specific 8-10 mission single player campaign, and usually 4-5 new multiplayer maps. If a setting appeals to you then you can buy the campaign, if not then you don't need to :)

All new features and enhancements are generally rolled into the main game as updates are released. And there is also a ton of free content to download from ingame too.

Cheers

Pip

18. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #38 september, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Your eyes must be forgiving, giving the benifiet of the doubt I clean booted and if you don't notice a drop between zoomed in and zoomed out I'm puzzled.

I know you like the game (and so do I mechanically) but I'm not blind.

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

All these comments about price just reinforce how utterly clueless the majority of the iOS buying user base is.

With this, Xcom, KOTOR and so on, we are entering into a world where console quality games can exist on our phones and tablets.

I am embracing it, loving it and while I'm terrified I'll suck at this and Xcom, the fact is that a lot of people love them, they're stupendously popular and awesome.