iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    #581 PipFromSlitherine, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    Looking more deeply at the specs of the tablet, it looks like it is using a PowerVR graphics solution. These are great for low power, but their architecture is not awesome for games. The iPad also uses similar parts, but the iOS version is OpenGL while the PC version uses DirectX, and the PC version is optimised for a standard zbuffer approach rather than the tile-based rendering approach that the PowerVR uses.

I can really only suggest dropping down to say 1024x600 if you can - that might help with the frame rate. Otherwise it look like we would really need a retuned version of the game for this kind of platform.

Hmmm - a final thought. You could try adding the line

DEBUGSLIM 1

to the user.txt file in My Documents/My Games/BBCBA. This will force all textures down to 256x256. This might help if the problem is gfx memory bandwidth.

Cheers

Pip

[Edit: It might be worth moving this conversation over to the Slitherine forums if you would be willing, to avoid too much off-topic chat in an iPad-centric thread?]

2. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hey that's fantastic. Just knowing that you are looking at it as a possibility is great, if it doesn't work out then so be it. Your commitment to making this game the best it can be on iPad, and the continuing development and support for the game on all platforms, shows that you guys put that money to good use.

I'm going to add in one last feature request, because I know you read it. It would be great to have a MP map mode where there are literally no restrictions. Choose a map, choose a point value, choose any units you want, choose the off-table support you want. I love the multiplayer campaigns as they are, (though France 1940 is desperately one-sided), but a generic points match option would allow for ad hoc mission creation. The closest we get is slight variations on existing ones. Choosing 1-3 Panzer IIIs etc. Why not 0-12 Panzer IIIs? Slap a caveat on that it's going to be totally unbalanced and let us run scenarios where it's nothing but King Tigers versus swarms of infantry etc. Leave it up to players to figure out a fun match-up. The only time I played the generic MP map the lack of options to buy off table support meant that buying an anti-air unit was a waste as my opponent couldn't buy an air units. :( It meant the map was inferior to the two similar Bulge campaign maps it was based upon. Throw those doors open to Frankenkampfgruppen and my regular opponent and I would have a blast trying to break the game.

Really looking forward to Operation Husky. The Sealion MP maps were so much fun to fight through.

3. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    The system isn't really set up to allow quite that level of flexibility, but it's a great idea. I know that there are some remixes from the community of the initial force-selection maps where they added more flexibility, and had tuned versions to allow for more infantry-centric etc versions.

Cheers

Pip

4. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Just bought this game...best game on my iPad hands down.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Definitely. Personally, I would love to see Slitherine do a naval/joint forces WW2 game like the old Pacific General or Gary Grigsby's War in The Pacific (I think that's the name.

PRETTY PLEASE, Slitherine? We've got a great land forces tbs on ipad now; there wouldn't be much competition on ios for a competent naval strategy game. I've followed you guys for a while; I don't know if you're really even the same studio that put out some early Slitherine releases...I don't ever recall you guys having done a game with naval units, but there's a first time for everything!

...and you know, I'm sure, that us wargamers are loyal in extremis :).

6. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I don't think Slitherine has anything in their catalog that matches this description. There is Panzer Corps, which should release on iOS sometime in Q2, I believe. That said, PC isn't really a naval wargame per se.

I would also love to see a really great naval warfare game on the iPad!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

7. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    It's a project that one of the team would like to do, but there is definitely this community project that could fill the gap for now :).

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=40351

Cheers

Pip

8. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Wow! The person working on that mod has really been working hard to bring naval warfare to BA. Very impressive work so far!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

9. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    I hope guys are following the development on this mod - it's really very cool. They're adding landings, island battles, all sorts!

Cheers

Pip

10. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Just a note that the BA Operation Husky expansion is now in review with Apple, not waiting for review. usually that takes an hour or so and we should be all go for release tomorrow! Lets hope it all goes to plan!

11. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I didn't realize that Apple reviews IAP for new maps/scenarios? Is that new?

:confused:

--DotComCTO

12. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    All content needs to be reviewed by Apple, but the new Husky expansion releases alongside an update for the main game, including a wide range fixes, UI improvements, new script commands for modders, etc.

Cheers

Pip

13. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Well, there goes getting anything done this weekend. :)

14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    On the fence on weather I should get this, Ravenmark, BOB or wait for Panzer.

15. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Go figure! I learned something new today.

I'm really looking forward to the new expansion!

--DotComCTO

16. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    You can always try the demo out to make sure it's the right game for you :)

Cheers

Pip

17. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    @Iain & Pip,

The BA Operation Husky update is up, and I'm patched up-to-date; however, I can't purchase the new expansion. When I try to do so, I get the dialog box telling me about purchasing the expansion, but when I click to proceed, BA just sits at the "Waiting" prompt with the timer counting up endlessly.

Is there something you need to do from your side?

--DotComCTO

18. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Unfortunately we have messed up something in the new version, which will prevent the purchase of Husky :(. You'll get all the new features of the version, but we will need to submit a fixed version to Apple before Husky will be purchasable.

I can't apologise enough for this mistake and the inconvenience to our players.

Cheers

Pip

19. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    D'oh! Insert your favorite "facepalm" image here.

Alternatively, in American football, the refs would have thrown the yellow flag and called, "Delay of game. Offense. 10 yard penalty. Repeat first down."

:D

--DotComCTO

20. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Whew. I'm probably the only person grateful for the delay, but I gotta get some stuff done today and am too weak willed to let a new expansion go unplayed for more than 5 minutes. :)