iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    gah this sound fantastic!

But I'm not paying $20 without a demo, Shame there is not a lite version for iOS? Surely that would be a great way of increasing customer base!

I have no problem with the actual price point but do have a prob gambling $20 without being able to try it first.

I don't have access to a PC or Mac except a very old netbook so that demo is no good.

2. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Same here

I'm on iPad 2 and having the same problems as you guys. Even with the auto de-select the whole selection process seems like it needs some tweaking.

Also, is there a way to cancel a move before I move my next unit?
    And it seems that I can't figure out how to see a units change in health after an attack. It just stays the same when I tap on it or maybe I'm missing something?

Anyway, this game is really awesome ...I am really impressed with how large some of the levels are. I look forward to getting comfortable enough to play online eventually.

3. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I second that.. a Lite version, with 1 level, so you can touch it yourself :eek:
    It seems pretty awesome, and paying $50 is not bad, if you consider
    that some people are shelfing $60-$80 for a PC game now these days!

4. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Due to FOW I don't think there's a way to be able to cancel a move, as it would lead to gamey behaviour in trying to spot or avoid enemy units.

There's no Health per se. Vehicles are either alive or dead, and for infantry you can see how many men are left in a squad either by counting how many are left, or tapping on them and it will say in the info panel (ie. 4/5, 2/2 etc.).

5. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the help.

After a few more games things are becoming clearer. Could use a better tutorial.

Awesome game that's very deep and challenging!! Just wish the visuals were better and that it was a bit smoother when panning/zooming...hopefully it can be polished up a bit.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Maybe 100% is displaying as 0%?

7. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Played around a bit until I got a similar setup to what I described above. Something doesn't seem quite right, although maybe distance is a larger factor than I think it is and that's what's causing the numbers to come up as they are. Even so I'd think the ...ahem... rear penetration numbers should be higher than the side on the Pz III's, and the full frontal should be somewhat less than 100% on the Pz IV's..

Hopefully Slitherine can shed some light on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    Thanks for your response!!!

9. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Bought it...like it very much. Reminds me of an old turn based game on the speccy crossed with the close combat series lol! Doesn't seem to be any way to see effective ranges of units so gauging where to put them can be difficult....am I missing something?

10. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    anyone know any good guides or strategy tips etc. Im guessing seen as its been a pc game, there are some good websites/guides or strategy tips out there.

great game loving it so far.

11. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question. Where do you buy the DLC maps? I'm not very far into the campaign, but I wanted to see the extras.

12. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    You can browse the Blitzkrieg France, Market Garden, and Sealion campaigns from within the game. If you attempt to play a mission, it will prompt you to go through the in-app purchase process to grab them, and you will be playing pretty much instantly.

Cheers

Pip

13. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Iain's the man to talk most sensibly about the model specifics, but basically the first % is the chance to hit (based on accuracy, movement of the two vehicles, and other elements), the second is the chance for the firing unit's weapon to penetrate the armour of the target at that angle, and the final % is the chance when you combine the two. So if you have a 0% chance to penetrate (e.g. you are firing a 2pdr at a King Tiger (for some reason...) then your overall chance to kill will be 0%.

On the other hand, we try and model the reality that sometimes lucky shots are lucky (shell ends up under the gun/turret join on a Panther, etc) and so very rarely a 0% shot might come off (the actual % might be 0.4% or something, but it will display as 0).

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Pip

14. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    I have been playing the heck out of this and I love it. Has me hooked more than any tbs game since Panzer General.

I noticed a couple of things that I would like to see improved.

When I am going through my unmoved units, and I decide to move one please do not start me at the beginning of my unmoved units. Just continue on from the unit I moved.

Also, I would love to see the ability to tell a unit to "wait" so I know I moved them and do not have to go through them in the unmoved unit rotation.

In a multiplayer game...

Please make it so I can rewind the replay and run it over and over if I chose.

Also, during the replay zoom the screen over to where the other player was making his move if it is visible to one of my units.

And...

I know this is just a far flung wish, but I would I really like to bring one or two veteran units from scenario to scenario within a campaign. Yeah, I doubt it will happen but that gives me some continuity and buyin to my army.

Thanks so much for investing in the iPad with this great game.

Munkie!

15. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
  16. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    In Carryover campaigns you can indeed carry over promoted units and so on - you gotta look after your units because you will need them further down the road.

Thanks for the other feedback - it all goes on the list :)

Cheers

Pip

17. Capt T

Capt T Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Looking at grabbing this game. I have the new iPad, and wanted to make sure there weren't any known issues (more so game breaking then small) would hate to drop $20 and have to wait on an update.

18. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I've not encountered any yet - aside from performance issues with scroll, pan, zoom and a slightly awkward 'select/deselect' mechanic. Would love a response from Slitherine regarding these points btw - is there any chance they could be addressed?

Jamie

19. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    thanks, much appreciated.