iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I bought this.

I expect to be kissed should you ever meet me

2. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Hmmm. If that doesn't happen, will it affect our excellent response/rapport rating? :D

Hope you enjoy the game!

Cheers

Pip

3. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Decided to support the hardcore wargaming grognard community and purchased this. Just starting out but looks very promising thus far!

4. Dogsy

Dogsy New Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Just downloading now, review to follow. Thanks everyone for your views, made the purchase easier :)

5. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    I already have the PC version of BA with all the addons, but did not hesitate a bit buying the iPad version too. Excellent game on all platforms and a first proper WW2 strategy game on iOS. I hope this will be a success and show publishers there is market for more serious strategy/tactics games. I suppose us grognards are a niche target group, but maybe profit can be made by setting the price right. I'd love to see Slitherine bring out iOS versions of Panzer Corps/Panzer General or Field of Glory.

It would be nice to see some traditional hex board war games on iOS too. GMT seems to have strong plans for several releases. If someone could acquire rights to old SPI quad games like Last Battles of Napoleon, or AH's Up Front I'd be in seventh heaven. Wargames of smallish map size, low counter density and simple rule sets would be just perfect on iPad.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Hi Pip, just sent you a PM. Game looks pretty good, but GBWG will be on your case soon enough ;)

7. Paradoxish

Paradoxish Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I almost never post here, but I felt like I needed to counteract some of the price negativity up thread to say that this is exactly the direction iPad games need to go in. This is a really great port, even with a few of the minor technical issues, and it's awesome that you guys are supporting it so actively in this thread. I don't regret spending $20 one bit, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the majority of $0.99 app purchases I make.

Anyone who's interested in playing strategy games with actual depth on the iPad owes it to themselves to pick BA up.

8. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I just picked this up last night. I downloaded the Mac demo and thought it was great. If there was a difference between the two versions, I may have got the Mac version for the cost. But to have the same game and have it on my iPad is worth the price of admission.
    I've only played the first few missions but I'm already feeling hooked on it. I'm looking forward to the retina update too!

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Dear Slitherine,

Please try to stay conscious of your app's file size when adding retina-display support. I understand that many apps quadruple in size that way.

BA is a comfortable 191mb install right now. Please dont turn it into a 800mb-1gb app.

10. kimstork

kimstork Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Worth spending so much?

11. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    First you have people complaining, "why not UNIVERSAL"..
    and now they are complaining about this.... unbelievable!!!

12. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    The app size won't get any larger. It already uses the full resolution PC assets, and so they will simply be shown off better on the retina display.

Cheers

Pip

13. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    One thing is a complaint.
    The other is a request / suggestion.

It's natural, at your age, to be confused.
    Don't worry. One day, you'll be learning all sorts of new things.

14. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin

Whatever.. All U do is complaining about filesize...
    Buy a bigger Ipad3, like I do.. 64Gb... oh wait... your still in school.
    Sorry..

15. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I agree, $20 is not bad..
    I can't wait till they release Baldurs gate later this year.. looks very promissing, and don't need to use the emulator anymore to play it now

16. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Would like to see The Counter Strike series, and some other older titles..
    That would make me instantly my pants wet :D:eek:

17. VimFuego

VimFuego Active Member

Apr 27, 2011
    IT Geek Extraordinaire
    Brisbane
    If you're a fan of strategy games I'd say it is :)

As a side note, good to see a follow-up to Great Little War Game is in the offing, that is also a fine game too.

18. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Ok, got my new iPad 3 today. :) Bring on the Retina update. :D

19. VimFuego

VimFuego Active Member

Apr 27, 2011
    IT Geek Extraordinaire
    Brisbane
    Errrr ... I don't mean to nit-pick but what with all the talk of this being a 'byte by byte' port of the PC game I don't seem to have an 'Editor' option.

Is there some technical reason the scenario editor could not be included? Any chance in the future?

20. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    How are you liking Battle Academy on the rockin' new iPad3 before the update? Is it as cool as it sounds? Snappier?