iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    The editor was not included for a number of reasons. Firstly we were not sure that we could make the more complex UI work on the iPad (it uses a lot of key presses etc on the desktop). Also, once created, the process for getting your creations on or off the iPad would not have been seamless - we would either have needed to support the iTunes user file access (which is not simple for the end user anyway) or some kind of user content upload system which doesn't currently exist. It didn't feel like the large amount of work needed to get the editor on the iPad would produce a great editing experience, nor allow a lot of new missions to be accessible to the wider community. It would also not really be possible to take advantage of the more indepth modding abilities of the engine, as it relies on scripting and other data entry. For these reasons we don't currently have any plans to include the editor on the iPad.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers

Pip

2. Hardbattle

Hardbattle Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Has the retina update been lodged with Apple yet Pip? Loving the game BTW...

3. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    It is with them now, yes. Hopefully it will be quite a quick approval.

Cheers

Pip

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You could make the Mac/PC editor be a free download, separate from the rest of the game, for iOS users who want to create content and don't want to buy both versions.

5. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I thought about this idea just before you typed it! The only drawback I can see is that if you don't have the game on your Mac and/or PC, then testing your scenarios is complicated. It would mean you'd be using your iPad for testing and then you'd be shipping files back and forth until you got the scenario just the way you wanted it to be. I'm going to guess that if you're going to put that much effort into building the scenario(s), you may as well just get the desktop version.

:confused:

--DotComCTO

6. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Smart decision. The cross-section of users that are on the iPad and don't also own the desktop version...and also want to build levels is probably quite small. For User-Generated Content, the reality is that the top 5% of users build your best content and I would guess most of them already have the desktop version, if they are that hardcore. The return-on-investment would be very low, because it's a complex cluster of problems, with a product that would only cater to a small subset of users. Not saying that those users aren't important, but iOS development is fast and lean, which requires tough decision. Personally, I think the time needed to port that functionality would be better spent porting brand new games and I think most people would agree.

7. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Not being able to test the scenarios would be one issue. The other would be that there isn't any real way to do over the air deployment to your iPad to test them either. You'd need to be tethered to iTunes, then use the (not very friendly) iTunes user file UI to manually move your campaign folder onto the iPad, then sync, etc. Not very friendly :(.

Cheers

Pip

8. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I was thinking of the iTunes approach; however, there are apps that have a built in server so you can connect to your iPad via your browser (assumes the same internal network). I've seen plenty of those examples; however, as has been pointed out by djflippy, it's a heck of a lot of dev work for very little ROI. It's just not worth the investment (if I were the CTO, I'd tell you no as well).

That said, you guys have quite a nice game portfolio, and I'm hoping you guys earn enough from Battle Academy to warrant the port of games like Panzer Corps, Unity of Command, Commander War at Europe, Close Combat, Battle in the East, etc.

:D

--DotComCTO

9. VimFuego

VimFuego Active Member

Apr 27, 2011
    IT Geek Extraordinaire
    Brisbane
    Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense to me. I agree with djflippy that the development time could be put to better use.

I would say, however, that making it clear that there is no editing capability on the iOS version might be useful for someone that was expecting the full PC experience. I can't see this anywhere in the blurb.

I'm enjoying the game a lot and the omission of the editor hasn't detracted in any way. It's nice to play something with depth on the iPad :cool:

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the post. Some minor questions: any GC integration? In-game chat? And match-up service?

My finger is getting closer to that "Buy" button...

11. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    The PBEM++ system allows you to accept challenges, or post challenges of your own, making getting an MP game absurdly simple. Watch out - it's very addictive! ;)

You can chat to your opponents using a chat window in game that you can update each turn.

Cheers

Pip

12. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Disappearing saves

Has anyone had their save games, and unlocked campaigns go poof! And disappear? Happened to me three times now. Easy to unlock the purchased campaigns again, and they are still there so there is no time downloading, but it's annoying. The same with the downloaded user scenarios, the are just gone, and have to be redownloaded.

Campaign progress is saved though. I wonder if it has to do with low remaining memory like the way Apple Newstand used to auto-delete magazines without warning when low on space.

Still having a blast with multiplayer though.

13. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Yep, just had it happen the other day. Posted it on the Slitherine tech support forum, but it hasn't had a reply there.

14. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Are the iaps extra campaigns? If so, can they be unlocked just by playing the game, or do they have to be bought to play them?

15. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Hmmm - they shouldn't be deleted, unless (as you say) the iPad deletes them for some reason if you get low on disk space - which would be pretty annoying. I've not seen it happen here, but then I don't have a ton of stuff on my development iPads. It's also strange they would leave some files alone and delete others. I will check into it.

Apologies for missing your post on the Slitherine forum Harv.

Cheers

Pip

16. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    The in-app purchases are indeed additional campaigns, each with ~10 single player and ~4 multiplayer missions as well as new units etc.

The user content downloads are all free and can be downloaded at any time.

Cheers

Pip

17. Werechihuahua

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    When this happens the app also 'forgets' my multiplayer login info. Normally it has the login and password already filled in. I buy too many apps, and have too much music and such so the iPad stays within 500meg of full most of the time.

18. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    short question: Are there different AI level (from easy to hard or something like that) or does the AI always work with "full power" ... I prefer games where I can switch the level ... it is good if you just want to relax ... :)

19. Werechihuahua

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    There is an "easy mode" but I couldn't tell you how much easier it is... The campaign missions are so well designed to introduce you to the challenges step by step you really ought to be ok just starting at the beginning and diving in.

Now multiplayer has no easy mode... Even when You get pretty good, playing a PBEM game can be like swimming in the shark tank. But you learn quickly playing tougher, smarter opponents and everyone I have faced has been gentlemen. Do remember that most of them have been playing this great game for more than a year on their PC's. I have had opponents who can't believe I am playing on an iPad. And you can, if you have both, play each turn on whichever suits at the moment, so I start a game on the PC at home but the at work bust out the iPad.

20. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    You can switch back and forth from Easy Mode at any time. It basically give your units more survivability and makes them more accurate.

Cheers

Pip