iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've just recently gotten into the turn-based/real-time strategy type games... and have watched a couple youtube vids of Battle For Wesnoth. It looks a LOT like The War of Eustrath, except set in medieval-ish times...

So... If I've got Eustrath, and FF Tactics, is there anything I'm missing by not playing Wesnoth? And does this run on iOS 5?

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Wesnoth is actually very very different from Eustrath. Just try the free (open source) computer version. Great Little War Game would be the closest comparison.

IMHO, there is nothing quite like Wesnoth on the app store, and it's a must-have

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    This ^ ;)

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks! I'm really enjoying GLWG as well...

So... Looks like there's another small chunk of $$ gone towards my growing strategy folder. =oD

5. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I haven't played Eustrath or FFT, but BfW is an excellent game. Probably the biggest selling point compared to the other two (I think) is that it has many campaigns, not just one. The campaigns last anywhere from a few hours to probably 10-20 hours, so there are over 100 hours of gameplay available. And these aren't poorly written campaigns either - they're very well done. There's even a TD style map in there too (which is a bit weird to play, since the game is turn based).

And yes, plays on OS5.

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    @syntheticvoid
    this game is much more complex that glwg and in all ways much better, you can not really compare them. but the playability on iphone is not great because of the screen size and the performance is also average.

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    It depends on what device you're on. I first had an iphone 3G, and yes, the performance was just ok. But now that I'm on a 4, performance is awesome - no problems at all. And yeah, playing on an ipad would be better, but it's definitely playable on the iphone/ipod.

8. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Wesnoth is incredible and there's a good chance you'll never beat all the missions (there's just so many of them.) Excellent game; Top 5 on the platform for sure.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah I've bought it...

Only played for about 20 minutes so far, but really enjoying it so far. Thanks for pushing me to get it guys... I still like Starbase Orion more... But I definitely do not regret buying this. Very nice addition to my strategy folder. =oD

10. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Kyle, I've been out of the phone gaming for about a year. It's a pleasure to see you still working on this. I bought it way back when it was released, played it a bit, then got out of the habit of phone gaming for awhile.

Now I have a 4S, and I can't wait to see what you've added since release.

11. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I dont think anything has been added in the last year, but still a great game.

12. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    It's crazy that Wesnoth first hit the appstore two years ago. Since that time it has seen some huge major updates along the way and it still remains one of the few great TBS games that people keep coming back to.

I wanted to confirm that Wesnoth is being returned to an active project at Wulven, and a fresh new update will be released soon. We also have some other interesting developments that have been approved by the Wesnoth foundation that we will be revealing soon! :D

13. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    No kidding!

Yeah, I still play the heck out of this game, what, over a year and a half after I first bought it. Crazy. Best $5 I've ever spent on the appstore, and maybe the best $5 I've ever spent, period. (Nothing better comes to mind, anyway.)

14. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    nice. love that game. :)

15. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Damn... first the release of the fantastic Ravemark and now a major update for this... Guess my gaming life would be dominated by high quality TBS games in the near future huh? :D

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Can't wait!!!

17. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    Can't wait too :)

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I know I've just recent bought this... But that's exciting news! This, Ravenmark, and Starbase Orion are the three strategy games I have been unable to put down...

19. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    I've reinstalled Wesnoth on my iPhone last week, I believed to be the only one LOL

20. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Great news to hear. I was tempted to get the Android port, since it had Delfador's Memoirs campaign included. Now I'll just wait for updates on the IOS version. :)