iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I was going through the tutorial, and on the second mission, 3 or 4 turns in, when the units attack or get attack they blink out for white squares, then once the attack is complete the character models reappear. Not a big problem, , just annoying.

On the flip side, the new ui makes this game playable for me. Some of the buttons(like the end turn button) could still afford to be a bit bigger, but I can now play the game without immense frustration, so...thank you :)

2. MrBaconpants

MrBaconpants Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Web Developer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So is the ipad version going to be a new app or will this version bump up in size well? If there going to be different apps will saved games sync between the two?

3. JemDaddyO

JemDaddyO Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I feel like updating my review on iTunes to say this: "If you don't already have this game, you should wait until the price goes back up. At $.99 you would really be robbing the developer and he needs to feed his baby. At $9.99 this game would be a bargain."

:D

I just don't get how people expect to pay less than $10 for anything on iTunes when other handheld console games still sell for $20-$30. I think Wesnoth probably matches anything you would find for the PSP or DS.

4. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Unfortunately the iPad version must be a separate purchase, since it includes much higher resolution images. But I'm sure it is very worth an extra $0.99

I'll be doing an update to Episode 4 in a few days, fixing some issues such as load screen not working with only a few saved games, and occasional white graphics. Plus the massive framerate improvement will make it worth downloading 200mb again!

But I have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can revive my iPod Touch, or I have to buy another one [sob]

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I still can't believe this game is a buck. :eek:

This will definitely be a jaw-dropping game on the iPad.

I even like the new icon! ;)

6. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Its always a fantastic feeling to see a developer so involved with the community, as well as so responsive to comments. I will be leaving a 5 star review as soon as the update comes out.

As a side note, I would definitely have a higher price point on the ipad: apple is trying to make this widespread, having all their apps start at $10, plus, this game would greatly benefit from the larger screen real estate(a larger minimap alone makes it worth it for TBS's and RTS's alike). Just my 2 cents. And sorry to hear about the loss of your ipod :(

7. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Fantastic work as always... this game just keeps getting better.

And good luck reviving your touch. That's never a fun time :(

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    When you say "occasional white graphics" you're talking about when the units turn into those white squares, right? Yeah...I was just about to report that one to you. :D

Sorry to hear about your Touch. If that happened to me It'd be like someone took away my food. I'm not sure if I could live more than 3 days without my iPod Touch!! :eek:

9. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I'm experiencing units turning into white squares as well. this is the only version that this has happened to me on. iphone 3gs

10. Abbas

Abbas Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Kyle, it seems like the font size for the menu items has changed. It's causing some issues as it's harder to actually select a menu item now (due to scrolling issues). Not to mention that the layout looks ugly now :(

11. MrBaconpants

MrBaconpants Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Web Developer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I dont mind paying for this great game again but I wish there could be a way the two versions could sync up. Like my Ominfoucs dose via my wifi network.

It would be nice to be able to play a saved game on the road then when I get back my ipad being able to to continue playing it there.

I dont have big pockets so my ipad will stay at home most of the time.

12. JMitnik

JMitnik Active Member

Jul 24, 2009
    @ABBAS,

I thinks the point was to make them bigger, so that players could actually point on something, instead of two buttons...

13. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Abbas, are you talking about the in-game menus? Like when you tap on the menu button at the top left? Can you describe in detail what you are trying to do and what is making it difficult? And can you give me a screenshot of an "ugly layout"?

Syncing saved games is one of the most requested features... It's not so hard to implement, so perhaps I will work on that after the iPad version launches.

14. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Well, I tried leaving the iPod Touch in a bowl of rice overnight... Apparently that is supposed to suck up all the water. It still didn't turn on this morning. So I thought I would try charging it. Plugged it into the usb, and the screen flashed the apple logo a few times but died after about 5s....

Now I will try to soak it in rubbing alcohol for a bit. People say that will get the water out, and it evaporates quickly. Last chance... :(

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Did you try opening it? All you need is a 00 screwdriver and a suction cup to lift the screen. You won't need to lift it much, just get the screen up a bit to let dry air flow into the device.

16. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Scrolling Issues

Hey Kyle - really excited about the update, but I've had some glitchy scrolling issues. For example in the Campaign selection list, I touch toward the bottom of the screen and drag up toward the top to scroll down. When my finger gets to the top of the screen, I let go, and touch back down at the bottom. When I do this, though, the list jumps backwards (as if I hadn't let go of the screen when I reset my finger). This is basically like 1 step forward, one step back. If I use the momentum scrolling by going faster, I'm able to make some progress ( 1.5 steps forward, 1 step back).

It also seems like a super light touch minimized the effect to where it more often scrolls as I would expect.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm running Wesnoth on an up-to-date 3GS.
    :confused:

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I get this as well on a 3.1.2 3gs

it's all about the speed of the scrolling. If I scroll sllowly there is no issue at all

18. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I also am experiencing the same scrolling issue at the campaign selection screen as the two posters above detailed. I also have an iPhone 3GS with the latest firmware (3.1.3 I believe).

19. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks for the detailed report, I'll be sure to fix this in the next update, scheduled to be submitted on Friday.

20. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

So is your ipod fixed? Try VeganTnT's method if it isn't.