iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Well... I opened it up... nice crack on the screen now :rolleyes: washed it in rubbing alcohol and now it's drying in the sun... [fingers crossed]

2. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    #62 mlkaufman, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    I don't think its a "speed of scrolling" thing, I think its a "where does your finger end up" thing.

It looks like if you scroll really far so that your finger ends up on the top of the screen, it doesn't reset the scroll box position.

Try scrolling fast in the middle third of the box and you don't get the problem. Now scroll slowly and let your finger go to the top of the screen where it says "Play a campaign" and you do get the problem.

Michael

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    wow, you've some kind of bad luck :( The screen is only held on by the two screws at the bottom and the tightness of the rubber seal.

On a different note I'm so glad you got cross platform saves in episode 5!!! I don't know when/if I can afford an ipad but those that do, or use the pc version, are absolutely going to love it.

4. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    RIP Touchy, you will be missed :(

I am submitting v1.4.2 now:
    - fixed load dialog not working with too few saved games
    - fixed problems scrolling the campaign list
    - fixed occasional white graphics

Unfortunately I can't include the fps improvements yet, since I need to test on a real device first...

5. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Thanks a ton Kyle!

6. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    cant wait for TD!

7. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The scrolling problem is also in everywhere
    especially in recriuting units...its so hard to go down between my units and i have alot of units!
    I think it is also present in scrolling saved games

8. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Until the update arrives, just make sure to keep your finger in the scroll box, not drag around wildly...

9. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Well I love the new graphical UI, and appreciate the hard work Kyle is putting into this. The white box glitches are a little annoying for the moment, but will download the update when it comes out. It does a little incongruous to see the menu and end turn boxes so small when the drop down boxes are now much larger. Will the Ipad version have the same assymetry? It seems like all the boxes can be larger in that one. Too bad I won't get to play it on an Ipad at least for a while.

10. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    Its okay..i thaught u fixed campign scroll anf forgot recruit scroll..if all fixed then wooow

11. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Kyle, the game is a A LOT easier to play now, It made a huge difference for me. It' funny how little things can be so important, I used to tried to press the buttons 3 to 4 time on average, I think you may remember my screenshot with my larger than average fingers, now I only have to press the buttons once, great job! Thanks again for listening and understanding.

12. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Don't thank me yet, starting thinking of suggestions for Episode 5 ;)

13. goonjamin

goonjamin Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Hi,

I'm loving the UI improvements as well but there is still 2 small buttons I came across when playing the tutorial. In between the 1st section where you fight the dummy and the second part of the tutorial a screen comes up asking if you want to keep practicing or continue on. The buttons for this are still really small and hard to press. I had to try 3 or 4 times to get it to move on to the next section.

Looking forward to seeing the framerate improvements you talked about in a future update :)

14. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I'm in doubt whether to buy this game right now for the ridiculously low price, or wait for a future patch which adds asynchronous multiplayer (if ever) and pay the price the game deserves...

15. ShadowPhoenix52

ShadowPhoenix52 New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    #75 ShadowPhoenix52, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Great game... Temporarily ruined

-JUST found out about this forum-

Eversince I got the game at Episode 1 or 2, I've been playing it non-stop. I've tried out every single campaign to at least their 5th/6th scenario. If I didn't like it, I'd beat it and delete it. If I DID like it, I'd keep the last level save as a trophy. Now that I've "upgraded" the game to episode 4, nothing works. After every turn, ESPECIALLY at the end of all the scenarios, it crashes. Probably the best game on the iPhone App Store just got ruined for me, and apparently groups of other people, according to the reviews and a few friends of mine.

I hate to be rude, but I want this fixed. I'd rather not lose my "trophies" and reinstall the game, so I assume the next update, which I also hope is soon, will fix this major problem. Now, on to the real review. (Sorry, can't write this on the iPod review. I'd rather not seem fake by complaining THEN giving it 5 stars.)

Ooze Campaign: Really fun, I can see the effort put into it! The RPG episode is a bit... akward though. ("Alright, I'll be your nude model.") Mostly cause my siblings like watching me play. Also, the last scenario was hard cause I was trying to make sure noone died 'cept for the stern gaurd and the drunkee.

The new graphics and the such are cool as well, hope to see more in Episode 5.

Suggestions for Episode 5-

-Only certain units can build towers
    -Towers can be destroyed
    -WALLS can also be build
    -When walls adjacent to the castle are formed into a fixed shape. the castle grows larger, up to a maximum of 3 more spaces
    -Add a whole new campaign centering around mages (Alot more strategical prowess needed, due to their weakness to physical weapons)
    -Lastly, but the MOST IMPORTANT- Add a profile pic gallery. I'm sure alot of people find the profile pics quite interesting.

--Thanks for reading, hope to see more updates*cough*and fixes*cough*. (Also, We all appreciate the effort, Kyle.)

16. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Hmmm can you describe how the game crashes? Like does it load the game fine, but then crashes after you end your turn? Is it only crashing with your old saved games, or even for new campaigns you start?

Can you try loading the game, then manually saving to another file, then exiting the game, restart your device (hold down power button to turn it off, then back on), and then load the manual saved game.

17. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the ipod Kyle. Atleast we know he's going to a better place. Right?

On subject:
    I thought that the TD campaign was in ep. 4 not 5.

18. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    I could not include the TD levels yet, as I still have to redesign the "pick an option" dialogs. This can be seen in the Ooze Campaign RPG level, where the selection choice is very tiny, and the OK button is miniscule. But at least it works. However with more than a few options or with longer text, it doesn't work at all. The original Wesnoth UI code is so over-complicated with many levels of nested object-oriented controls that it is nearly impossible to fix. But the next update will redo the whole selection dialogs by having proper menu controls with bigger text and selection areas whenever you have to choose an option....

Or for the short answer... "Yeah, TD has been delayed to episode 5"

19. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    For episode 5:

instead of doing save...go to some very risky battles...things went bad...load...wait so time ...then it goes bad again..i repeat load...repeat wait...

Well this looks like a kinda boring..there should be a universal undo button which includes battles to avoid load times
    and if some people doesnt want it coz they find it something not good to game
    and prefer it to be in save liad mode..make it something u enable or disable..or even make it enabled by some kind of CHEAT which cant be done to regular user....pleeeeease undo button to to decrease load times espixally in very big wars and big loading tines!

20. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    One of the main things I'm working on for episode 5 is reducing the load times...