iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. malphigian

malphigian Member

Oct 2, 2009
    I've worked out most of my UI issues (for whatever reason my fat fingers have figured out how to hit tiles every time now).

I think maybe I do have a bug though. I'm stuck in the South Guard scenario in "into the depths". I got hosed here and went to look up some strategies online. They all mention "Minister Hylas", I have no such unit. I thought maybe he wasn't in the iPhone version -- but no, my mission objectives say "death of minister hylas" means I lose. Only I don't recall ever seeing a unit of that name in the campaign. I admit I skipped some text, but does anyone have any idea what happened?

2. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Minister Hylas is the White Mage that you get in the second scenario when you get to the castle... If he does not get automatically created for you at the start of every scenario after that, maybe your saved game got corrupted somehow?

3. malphigian

malphigian Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Yeah, I went back to my save on scenario 2 -- I somehow never got him, yet completed that scenario. Strange. Ah well, I can just start over.

4. dojoboy

dojoboy Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I find Open Feint in this game to be totally inoperable. I'm automatically provided an ID (like player746235182), but I'm not able to edit the username for it. In fact, none of the options in the Open Feint menu are even active. I touch something and it's dead. Really frustrating. Once I was able to connect using Twitter, but it still had me ID'd as playernumber. I'm more familiar with Plus+, so maybe I'm missing some special toggle. ????

5. Question about general gameplay: i feel my commander is always too weak, I can't have him leave the base to fight cuz I need him back recruiting people. Any tips on how to level up a commander?

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    The trick is that you have to kind of gamble on how long to leave the commanding unit at the base before sending him to battle. It's tricky because you don't want to keep him at the base all the time, since as you said, he won't get a chance to level up, and also you don't want to make too many units because then you won't have enough money in later scenarios to recall all the units you need. My advice is to guess how many times you'll have to recruit a max number of units and then just go full on with your commander in the last group of recruits/recalled troops. The problem is that it can get very unpredictable in certain scenarios, but I think it is better to simply try to fight through it and, if necessary restart the scenario than to much later in the campaign realize you don't have enough money to win. In that case you are totally screwed.

Also, I'd assume you realize this, but you'll want to let your commander deal as many fatal attacks to enemy units as possible in order to get him more experience.

I am definitely interested to hear more peoples' take on this topic though. I know we can discuss tactics at the official Wesnoth homepage, but I haven't done it for some reason. :rolleyes: But since I'm always on here, I would love to see what other iPhone Wesnoth players like to do.

7. Thanks for the tips. This might be a huge gameplay breaker but maybe if a unit got exp for each time they attack a unit taht would help with the progression of each unit.

8. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Units do get 1xp (maybe 2, I forget) every time they successfully attack or get hit. It adds up over time! ;)

Depending on the campaign, many heroes have the Leadership ability, which gives bonuses to lower level allies around them, making it worthwhile for them to leave the base once in awhile.

Remember that there is strength in numbers, so it is better to build up a force first, then send everybody (including the hero) to overwhelm your opponent. And then don't forget your hero can recruit from any keep tile, not just the one you start on!

9. Thanks for the reply Kyle. Really is a great game, there's more I'm learning about it each day. Like others have said in the thread, the controls might need some tweaking if possible. I've found confirming a movement command can be tricky over great distances.

10. bloodyparrot

bloodyparrot Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Just registered for the sole purpose of commenting on this game, specifically Kyle's port. I've lurked long enough!!

In short: great job Kyle, can't think you enough for leveraging your considerable code-fu to bring this game in a fully enjoyable state for millions (hopefully someday) of Wesnoth fans.
    It took a while to get to a stable enough version, but I always apreciated your constant updates and feedback. Again, job well done.:p

Coming from a huge fan of strategy rpgs, Wesnoth is a game I've found myself coming back to several times and getting re-addicted all over again. As a game, though it may not yet be quite as completely polished as a Fire Emblem joint (it IS an evolving open-source project afterall), it deserves to be mentioned with the giants of the genre from a pure gameplay and enjoyability standpoint.

Now for a few comments on the latest port: thank Gawd for episode 4...all major problems have been fixed as far as I am concerned and I thoroughly enjoyed the unique Ooze campaign and am currently halfway into Under the Burning Suns.
    The biggest nigglin' issues as far as my experience goes, offa the top of my head and in order of bigness:

-to improve the load times
    -to improve the (generally minor occasionally puzzlingly long) lag, particularly during enemy turns
    -to make it so that tapping on the side bar info pane doesnt bring up the "next unit" menu. I say this because I often try to toggle the "tool tips" from the info pane to check on resistances, unit descriptions etc but find myself constantly fighting with the "undo move/next unit" menu
    -to perhaps change the Mega Map toggle to a double-tap to avoid accidental access
    -to fix a few dialog sequences here and there that are truncated (probably due to the pod's small screen). Case in point: UtBS characters are wordy folks...a lot of times I am finding their dialog cut off when it exceeds the textbox size...perhaps implement a scrolling box?

Again those are all niggling points. I highly HIGHLY recommend this game to any fence sitters.
    Fire Emblem is a $30 retail game on the DS, $50 on the Wii - its main advantage is better graphics (this is subjective). This game, though open-source and free for computers, is $1 and has networked multiplayer and will soon gain the ability to transfer saves btwn desktop and mobile device.:eek:

Fence Sitters, climb on down and enjoy a damn good tactical TBS RPG-lite game.:D

Wow, what a retail environment where $1 has to be so carefully debated and weighed!!!
    :confused:

11. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    I also want to point out this game is so good I tried to buy it twice...two laptops, two itunes installs, too lazy to transfer purchases.

The game is THAT good and THAT good of a deal.

12. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    Just to comment splurge,
    lets talk a bit about leader training.

My style: I get that little dude out there as soon as I feel I dont need to recruit more units. I like to conserve gold and not spam cheap units...if you are constantly finding yourself needing to recruit to replace lost units you gots to work on your tactics and preserve a bit better!
    Of course, you have to baby the leader at first, put him in absolute safe attack situations (watch terrain and total worst-case damage recieved) and give him the killing blow if at all possible. Use the Zone of Control to limit the number of enemies that can engage him (and thus put him in danger).

Later on, leader units often become reliable attackers who can help out low level units via "leadership" or softening up tougher foes...its so worth it to train your leader in line with the enemies the game throws at ya (you dont have to get him to level 3 by scenario 4 or anything, but Level 2 usually by scenario 2 or 3 is normal for me)

13. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions bloodyparrot, it roughly matches my priorities as well :D

14. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Wow, really?? That would be very cool - I'm currently in the middle of a campaign, and I don't play very often (mainly because it requires a good chunk of time to sit down and play, and that's not frequent for me). I'm planning on getting the next iphone version and was concerned about losing my saved games (I don't want to install from a backup - I want a clean slate on the new phone). Will this feature be implemented sometime in the next couple of months?

15. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Yes, Episode 5 should be submitted in about a week or so...

16. bloodyparrot

Apr 28, 2010
    Yay episode 5

Awesome.
    Im curious to see what new scenario youve chosen to headline eps. 5...

And Im REALLY psyched to see how much youve sped the sucka up!:p

17. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    ok im enjoying this game so far, I just started the first campaign South Guard, and I was wondering how much scenarious there are exactly...

18. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    If you mean how many scenarios in that campaign, I think there are 6 - I'm doing it now too, and I think I'm on the last one. It's taken me quite a long time to get through it - probably 5-10 hours.

19. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Yea im only on scenarion 3 and Ive spent a good 2 hours on it
    It just seems like so far its too easy but dragged out a little. Ive encountered no problems so far ffrom the enemies which kinda sucks

20. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Is that the one with all the skeletons on the East side? I think that was probably the longest/most difficult scenario - it gets easier from there. Just make sure to level up some of your units and heroes - you'll need em.