iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Well what difficulty level are you playing on?

2. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Wait what? You can level up people? I know you gain experience but what happens?
    Easy....that's probably why haha but it still should be at least a little challenging considering its the first time ive played the game

3. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I think the highest level a character can achieve is 3. There are some that start at 0, but not sure about those. For the ones that start at 1, upon getting to level 2, you sometimes get to choose a sub-class. Then at level 3 (and same as some at level 2), leveling is automatic - no choices. It basically increases the stats.

4. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    o ok thanks

5. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Playing South Guard on easy difficulty is a great way to get familiar with the game. It is the easiest campaign, and also one of the shortest. If you do find it too easy, then you can move on to one of the many other campaigns on normal difficulty. I like to try one or two levels of a new campaign to see if I like it, if not then I can always move onto something else...

6. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    the wait suspends time as we know it

7. Metaldream

Metaldream Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Hi Kyle,

I just went back to Wesnoth after a few weeks break for quick skirmish and suddently, I can no longer change the era. The combo is no longer there. I reinstalled Wesnoth with no success. Could you fix this in the next release please?

Thank you!

8. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    There is only one era available in the iPhone version of Wesnoth.... Right? :confused:

9. Metaldream

Metaldream Member

Apr 19, 2009
    There is 2 versions of the default era.
    The vanilla and the age of heroes where you start with a level 3 unit and can recruit level 2 units. It was possible to switch between the 2 before.

10. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Oh haha I didn't realize that. I'll change it back for the next release...

Episode 5 should be submitted in the next few days!

11. Metaldream

Metaldream Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Great, thank you Kyle!

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Awesome! What else can we expect in this release?

13. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Alright, here we go! Episode 5 is in the final stages of testing now...

Episode 5: The Dark Hordes
    + new undead campaign with 10+ hours of gameplay
    + massive framerate increase!!
    + saved game syncing with desktop versions
    + full in-game unit info popups
    + time of day terrain shading
    + can quickly double tap to move
    + reduced loading times
    + redone "choose an option" dialog, to make way for more RPG campaigns
    + fixed all terrain rendering glitches

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Fantastic News! I've yet to finish the content already included and there is more being added :)

15. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    And one of my top games since day one on the iTouch seems to suprise me with yet another MASSIVE UPDATE again!

Kyle (^_^)v

16. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    + massive framerate increase!!

God bless you, sir. :D Can't wait to try it!

17. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    wow, that sounds awesome. So how will the syncing work? Does it sync through wifi? And what if we play some on our mac/pc and then sync back (assuming it syncs both ways) - that'll load the new saves on the iphone? Does it keep track of the file dates and replace with the latest version if the names are the same?

Can't wait for the framerate increase and load time decrease - those and the occasional crashes have been the main reasons I don't play as much as I'd like.

I just finally finished the first main campaign, and I was looking for the RPG campaign - is that the oooze one? I started it but didn't see any RPG elements beyond the normal stuff (but then I haven't gotten around to eating anything yet).

18. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Will the HD version get the changes at the same time, or does that come later?

Speaking for myself, I don't play the iPhone version as much since I got the iPad.

19. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Saved game syncing is pretty basic right now, just a way to get the files onto and off of your device. It is manual syncing, ie you select the file to upload or download on your device. And then there is a really basic web version at http://wesnothsync.com where you get a list of files, so you can click on the link to put the files manually in the right directory, or upload a new file to make it available on your idevice. I didn't make it automatic syncing, because that would be overkill for something that you will probably only use very rarely...

For RPG campaigns, the Oooze one gets interesting at the third mission I think it is. Lots of people to meet and you get to choose how to interact with them...

The iPad version will also be updated at the same time.

20. bloodyparrot

bloodyparrot Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Oh sweet sweetness.

Its really great to see that not only were you able to tackle those big dino problems Kyle, but also engage some of those little nigglin raptory ones too like dialog boxes.
    Did you also tinker with the shortcut menu (where the "undo/next unit/delay fog"-type options pop up)?
    It often gets in the way when trying to access the tool tips info like resistances and unit descriptions and such.

I finished UtBS...pretty dang solid campaign and rather long. Wasn't easy at all, but threw some really cool new things I hadn't seen in Wesnoth yet like RPG advancement of the main character, cool bonus characters and dynamic scenarios whose objectives change once or twice (maybe even thrice or fwice!)
    Story was OK but wouldnt have minded updated character art.

For those that have played it on iPod, how is Invasion from the Unknown (the 2 parter)?
    Does it run OK on da 'Pod?