Battle for Wesnoth [SUBMITTED] - massive TBS with 300+ hours of gameplay!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kyle Poole, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    So glad to hear it's submitted Kyle!! Of course, the wait for appoval had gotten to be a rather long one...:(

I'm a bit bummed to hear the damage calculation is gone from the attack selection - it's especially useful for beginners to get their bearings with all of the factors that weigh into the result. While it's certainly not a deal breaker, I'd love to see this implemented in a future version.

Can't wait to have this on my iPhone!

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    My bad, I thought the different campaigns were levels, didn't notice that each campaign had levels in and of itself. Fixed the error now that I see that this game has so much content.

3. Dominic White

Dominic White Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    #43 Dominic White, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    A question for Kyle, that I put forward at the end of the last thread - assuming that this passes approval within the next few weeks, just how long are we going to be waiting on the first big update? The PC version is going to be moving to v1.8 soon, which is bringing a lot of tweaks and aesthetic improvements, and it'd suck to see the cross-platform play lose half its playerbase because the iPhone version is lagging behind.

Yeah, each campaign is, on average, about as long as your full strategy-RPG, some of which weigh in at 20+ missions. Each one has you playing as different characters/races, in different eras (even a single race can play very different between one time period and another), and some of them have branching plotlines where decisions you make affect what missions you play.

'Big' doesn't do this game justice. It's hugenormous.

4. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Just wanted to weigh in...

I have been beta'ing this from the beginning on the iPhone, and I never heard of BfW before hearing of it in TA. I am an old school TBS player from Squad Leader days, and I am in love with this game.

The stability that has been achieved as well as the efficiencies gained in just a few weeks is nothing short of amazing. Characters get random attributes upon creation, level up, and can be pulled from scenario to scenario.

The best way to learn this game is suggested in the "in-game" help guide.

Just jump in a play a few campaign games, get a feel, then go back and read the directions. It is a very clean setup that follows the "kiss" standards of tabletop gaming. It feels like a very well down Warhammer type of tabletop game to me.

Well done, and this is an instant buy that gets my highest recommendation.

Munkie!

5. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The status has been updated to "In Review" now! :cool:

6. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Assuming it doesn't get rejected, does "in review" usually mean it will release today, or is there still an indeterminate amount of time?

Also, is the Lite version "in review" too, or is my need for instant gratification going to cause me to buy the full version because I just can't wait?

Regards, Michael

7. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    'Today? TODAY?!'
    This! is! APPLE!

*Kicks mlkaufman down manhole*

8. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

"In review" means that *IF* they actually do accept it on the first pass, which is probably a coin toss at this point (nothing against the hard work Kyle has done, just Apple being Apple), you might see the game go live for sale within 2 to 5 days after the "In review" status.

If they accept it, I'd plan on seeing it sometime Monday 11/23 through Wednesday 11/25...

Fingers crossed for you KP :D

9. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    LOL :D

The free version with one campaign was submitted at the same time, and is also in review... I'm finishing up the first update and will submit it shortly after approval.

10. Dominic White

Aug 8, 2009
    With 1.8 of the desktop version going into beta now, how long do you estimate between that getting released, and the iphone version updating? Assuming no horrible rejections or fires or hard drive crashes, of course.

11. eatmosushi

eatmosushi Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i will buy this so hard i poo myself.

one thing that struck me as interesting with battle for wesnoth is that to make an even deeper campaign you could give units talent trees and let them equip gear and such.

12. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Remind me never to invite you over for any gaming parties.

Michael

13. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    It is a pretty major update, so I expect it would take about 4-6 weeks before the iPhone version is updated as well.

14. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    #54 Betty 2K1, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    No offense, but I can't believe people are already talking about updates when the game itself isn't out yet. For me the updates can wait 300 to 800 hours :D at the very least.

Just wondering Kyle if you have contacted TouchArcade to see if they will do a feature?

Oh and ignore the 'premature' signiture below it's just that I'm that excited ! (all innuendo remarks welcome !)

15. zachawry

zachawry Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Aaargh!

Kind of a pity that this and Rogue Planet are going to be coming out so close to each other! One sci-fi, one fantasy...

I am sure I will get both, but I can't see myself playing both very much at the same time. Just not enough hours in the day.

16. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Yes, but even if you don't get around to the awesome new campaign in awhile, I'm sure you could use the bugfixes, UI improvements and speed increases in the next update! ;)

17. Dominic White

Aug 8, 2009
    For me, it's more of an issue that one of the iPhone versions big selling-points is cross-platform play, and if most of the PC/Mac/Linux players are going to be moving to V1.8 and staying there for a month+, the iPhone version is going to have a much smaller playerbase until that update rolls round.

18. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    #58 Betty 2K1, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    I completely hear what you are saying Dominic, but do you really feel many Battle of Wesnoth fans will boycott the game because this feature is a few weeks away ?

Also because I was unfortunate enough to not be able to get the Beta working I do not know how 'playable' the game is. I am 100% sure that the game is playable but if there are issues that need to be addressed then I feel its a risky strategy to get the game out and possibly face a backlash of low star reviews until the subsequent updates are released. Many games live or die by their intial 5 star ratings and many reviewers are very harsh and unforgiving.

I only put my concerns/opinions across because I like everyone else on this forum are excited about the game and want it to do well. Hopefully there will be enough interest/profit for the long haul.

19. Sukal

Sukal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Any status changes from In Review?

20. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Hahahaha. Good signature Betty 2k1. The game is quite playable! Sorry you couldn't load the beta.

Kyle has done a terrific job and lots of optimizations in the last few weeks have really made it comfortable to play on the iPhone/Touch. Special kudos to the great effort he put into this.

I think this version will bring about a large number of people who had never heard of the game before. I was fairly surprised at the number of newcomers just here on TA. I hope this game does well and I'm happy to see the game have some sort of revenue stream through sales.