Battle for Wesnoth - tactical strategy RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kyle Poole, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The size of the DL has nothing to do with performance.

2. donner

donner Well-Known Member

any idea regarding when this will be released to apple for approval?

3. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    hopeful they won't do the same as Rouge Planet - "we scare to dead there are too many good apps releasing on July and August, so we planned to release our game in 2010 July to avoid competition" :D

4. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    #24 MunkieSuthorn, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    French game, would you expect anything less then a surrender? =\

Munkie!

5. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    I can tell TBS RPG is a big meat in iPhone gaming industry... I would like to see more & more those quality games relase in the future.

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of them I would like to see, if it comes with rich content, quality graphic & awesome gamepley, I don't mind to pay more.

big money man big money :cool:

6. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Yep - the iphone is IDEAL for TBS games. I think the touch screen really is perfect for controlling these kinds of games. I'd much rather play a good TBS game on my iphone than a DS. Its a genre that you can play for a long stretch or play in short bursts to take small bites out of a big campaign.

Plus - TBS games dont usually demand super-fancy 3D graphics, so its generally much better on battery life.

great to see Wesnoth coming... Its one of the most actively developed open source game there is with a huge fan base. Multiplayer on this will be a blast!!

7. Censorship

Censorship Active Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Finally I have been waiting for news on this. I just knew there were plans to put this on the idevice there had to be it fits so well.

8. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    If the text in Rogue Planet is anything like that (cryptic?) sentence they came out with, I'm out.
    Luckily, having played BfW, I can say that I don't remember one text issue. A big plus...

9. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    I just D/L BfW, and I am sold if the content in the iPhone is half of what is offered in the PC version.

Munkie!

10. jones8910

jones8910 Member

May 25, 2009
    Game looks pretty good. Downloading the pc version to check it out

11. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Game looks awesome!!!
    This looks like a must buy :D
    By the way, wat will the price be?

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    This is a big surprise! :) I am so glad to see this coming to the iPhone. I was playing it on the PC several years ago and had a great time.

13. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    No price point has been set yet, although it should be less than similar games in the genre. A generous portion of the proceeds will go back to support the Wesnoth project, which is in active development. The iPhone port should be completed in another 4-6 weeks.

14. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    4~6 weeks, so we're talking about early Sept, almost same time as rouge planet promised relerase date... well, good luck & you got my vote. :D

15. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing that Rogue Planet will be able to compete with Wesnoth on any level other than graphics (but for a TBS - who really cares). Wesnoth has been in active development for a very long time and is an extremely refined game with a huge fan base.

Other than any port bugs - what we'll be getting is a very solid game with TONS of campaigns and cross platform multiplayer - !!

16. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    totally agree...

well, Rouge Planet keeps delaying their release date anyway.... and mention it might be release on Sept 9not confirm yet).... now looks like they'll delay it again... :) coz the big competitor :cool:

17. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    You never know, the Wesnoth port might be delayed too... Like yesterday, I needed to test one map, but then spent all day playing it because I was hooked and just had to beat it! :)

If you want a good game, get the PC version of Wesnoth, go into multiplayer and play the "4p - A New Land" map. You have peasants than can build villages, farms, rivers etc and the goal is to survive for 25 turns being attacked from all sides. After several failed attempts, I finally built a moat totally encompassing my castles, with villages all around for extra defense and healing. The enemies had no choice by to be stuck waist-deep in water while my mages blasted them from the villages. By turn 75 I finally was able to defeat all enemy leaders. Great game!! And a good example of the different kinds of gameplay available with the Wesnoth scripting engine.

Anyways, that brings me to a question that I wanted to put out to the masses. What do you think the main menu options should be? A "local quick game against AI" is hidden in the "multiplayer" button, which some people will miss if they are not interested in playing against human opponents. So I wanted to include an extra button to make it clear, but what should the "play a single map against AI" button be called? "Quick Game" "Custom Game" "Skirmish" etc

18. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
  19. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    This will be an instant purchase for me also !

But please, please don't release it later than September as I go on holiday in October :D

20. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    the time looks tight, but let's cross fingers hope they can do it.