iPhone Battle for Wesnoth

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mythbuster, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Looks like I'll have to spend more time in the main game first though. :)

2. Wasgo

Wasgo Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Any chance of a $0.99 sale some time for those of us who weren't in the States and didn't have a chance to get it at that price?

3. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    No sorry, that was a special for Episode 4 and to iron out the launch bugs. Now it is even more awesome with Episode 5 and well worth $5 :D

4. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I'm new to Wesnoth, and am currently playing it on the ipad. Really impressed so far :) I have just one question... I've completed the tutorial, and I think I'm towards the end of the campaign called The South Guard (I've done about 5 or 6 of the missions in that campaign). What I was surprised by was that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that says what you've completed, or how successfully you completed it. The game seems very polished and full of info and stats, that I can't help thinking I'm missing a screen somewhere. It would be nice to be able to see a visual record of progress through the game, especially considering it's such a big game. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something please?

5. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've checked online, also checked the latest PC version (just in case) and there doesn't seem to be any kind of completion or "how well you beat xyz campaign" rating anywhere. So, for example, could you have a star rating (gold, silver, bronze or whatever) on the campaign select list so you could see if you had completed a campaign on any of the difficulty settings? Extra info like how many turns it took would obviously be great too.

Thanks!

6. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    It is worth WAY more than $5!! I did get it for $0.99:D

7. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey Kyle, really enjoy the new update, it loads much faster and the scrolling is smoother on my 3G. One possible bug: It seems that my Help screen is no adding the new units that either get discovered or upgraded. Working on the South Guard campaign and have a Royal Guard, Master Bowman and various undead critters that are not showing up. I like to check the in-game manual from time-to-time to look up stuff.

Edit: Sorry wrong forum! I'll post in iPhone games.

8. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    That's a great suggestion, thanks!

I'm working on Episode 6 now, any other wish list items? I plan to include two huge new campaigns, because obviously there is not enough content yet heh

9. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

:( There goes my social life! :mad:

10. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'd just like to second (actually, at least third) the suggestion for completion indicators. I'm a sucker for stats of any kind, but knowing which campaigns I've beaten at what difficulties is nearly essential.

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    It may be well worth 5, but seeing as how I just bought my iPad I am poor for a long time to come hehe. Will have to hold out on buying it until the price drops. When it does though I will probably end up buying it on both devices.

12. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Don't know if it is possible but when you attack someone it would be very awesome if it went into a battle screen with better graphics like on fire emblem. That would be AWESOME!!

13. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
  14. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I agree with this. I would love to see a page that had all sorts of useless statistics (total game time, number of launches, longest stretch, campaign times, campaigns completed, etc).

15. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Kyle, thanks very much for replying. It's good to hear from the developer and great that you follow what is happening on the forum here and take the time to reply. I think the idea of having completion stats etc. is something that a lot of people would be very interested in, I'm glad you liked my suggestion, although I was originally responding to Ben909 who raised it first.

16. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Okay, adding statistics is pretty easy so I'll add that in. Also the completed campaigns indicator.

Unfortunately there is no realistic way to go to cutscene battle sequences with more detailed graphics, as there are over 200 different units in the game, and most campaigns also have custom units... I kind of prefer the on-map attacks though, I find the Advance Wars style cutscenes gets old really quick...

17. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Here's a great new video review from Reviews on the Run

18. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Obviously, it's worth more than 7.5/10. ;) Anyway, I don't know if this has been asked a quazillion times before, so I hope I'm not repeating hordes of other noobs. How does the game compare to the PC version's progress? I've noticed the version number is a few minor releases behind. Does the iPhone/iPad development follow the PC development? Do improvements made in the iPad/PC version get pushed into the PC/iPad version? I'm really interested to know if those latest PC enhancements will see the light of day on the iPad!

Also, I agree with you on the Advanced Wars style battle scenes. They're cool, but in the end they'll only make battles last longer and make them more tedious to sit through. It's fine how it is!

19. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Most of the graphical improvements such as new portrait images and unit images are already in the latest iDevice version. As for the code base, work is already underway to bring it up to speed with the latest desktop version. It would be really nice to see some of the iPad features make it to the desktop branch, such as more professional title screen and loading screen, but that is up to the desktop devs...

20. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Nice. Keep up the collaboration, that's what makes open source strong!

Oh, I was also wondering, since I think Battle for Wesnoth has a GNU open source license, if the iPhone source code is freely available? Not that it's very important to me; I'm not very interested in having a look at it right now and I've bought both the iPhone and iPad versions. I was just wondering, since I couldn't find it.