iPhone Battle for Wesnoth

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mythbuster, Apr 28, 2010.

1. mrdyer1984

mrdyer1984 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It's way to boring to even type it in...
    Shrewsbury PA
    I have an iPad 64gb...I dont know if that helps...but mine is smooth as silk..did you restart your device?

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    It really depends on your device. I had a 3G, and the gameplay was choppy. Then I upgraded to the iphone4, and now it's beautiful - almost too fast.

3. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    This is a game that really isn't about the graphics. It's all about the strategy. Once you start playing it, and if you are a strategy game fan, you'll love the depth.

4. commish

commish Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I am trying really hard to like this game... I love these types of games normally, but the percentages are just too incorrect for my opinion. It's unreal how many times I miss sometimes.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    What do you mean by "incorrect"? You mean that you think that you don't actually hit with the probability that the game tells you that you will hit? If so, I think you're fooling yourself. The original version of Wesnoth is open source, you can just read the code and see that it does work the way it says it does.

Many people aren't very good at judging probabilities. That's why Las Vegas exists, after all.

6. Wasgo

Wasgo Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    The issue is that the game uses true percentage chance to hit rather than frequency. So if you have a 50% chance to hit, one out of every two attacks will hit, but the likelihood of alternating hits and misses is very low. Mostly likely there will be runs of hits, and runs of misses. When you miss five times in a row, that's just bad luck.

What many people look for is a frequency based pattern. So that out of every two attempts, one should succeed most of the time, with decreasing likelihood of continuing a string of successes or failures in a row as that number increases. It would still be possible to do that in such a way that it would be an overall 50% chance to hit, but that's not how Wesnoth does it.

7. Caprone

Caprone Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    #167 Caprone, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    I grabbed BfW yesterday for the first time and i've got to say that is one of the most strategic and yet simple games i ever played. Initially, i was overwhelmed by options for every unit, all the commands, all the factors you have to consider before you move your characters, but really the more you play the more you understand it. For 0.99 to call it a steal isn't enough.

8. implacable

implacable Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I Love this game
    :)

9. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    For the price I pick it and haven't really played it yet, lost in the tutorial. :D But I already regret that some texts are like if my iPad was an iphone, very small characters, like in the help but also some modal dialogs could be quite more big. Thanks in the game the problem is more minor, but it's a disappointment when dev don't take care of that point.

Another point is the lack of zoom in/out. I don't how are doing the game not using 3D to implement it, but it's not cool not have it in games like Wesnoth.

10. commish

commish Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    #170 commish, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    You're right, I shouldn't have used the word "incorrect". I should have said the chance to hit is too low. I meant "incorrect" as in, not the way I would want it, if that makes sense.

If I have 6 of my men surrounding an enemy, and each has at least a 60% chance to hit and each attacks 3 or 4 times, it is just frustrating to have 1 out of those 18-24 attacks actually hit. There should be times where the chance to hit is 90% or higher - and maybe there is and I haven't uncovered how to do it yet. It takes too long to kill sometimes, which just makes some maps drag out unnecessarily and makes the pace too slow for my tastes. Perhaps, the more men you have around an enemy, the chance to hit goes up.

Anyway, it's a quality game, and easily worth the $5 it costs (or $1 on sale). It's just frustrating at times and some fights just take too long. I guess I like my strategy games to rely on my strategy and not so much luck.

11. JoeBlonde

JoeBlonde Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Game would be great if buttons and text weren't as tiny. I don't get why developers keep wasting precious screen space this way (same happens with Puzzle Quest).

12. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    +1 000 000

Perhaps it's my computer that gave wrong habits and I use a laptop not for games where I can read rather small texts in email or doc contexts. But for game context it doesn't work as well, could be because of font used not for clarity but for aesthetic, background not plain and dedicated to highlight the text but designed for aesthetic, and problably more. Anyway, text size like for iphone, are big enjoyment killer for me. Even the DS put much more care in that, not in all games, but many and all those cleanly polished.

13. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Does it bother anyone else that the Ok and Cancel buttons are switched from OS X user interface guidelines? Ok button should be on the right...

14. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    On Sale...

Price drop to $0.99. Comes highly recommended for the price of a cheeseburger. :D

iTouch version on sale as well...

15. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    I'm loving the game on the iPad, but I noticed that it's based off of a very old build of the game. Any hope for bringing the iOS version up to the current PC version?

16. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    One can only hope. Kyle promised us some pretty solid stuff in an update(s) a while back iirc in the iTouch thread, but since Shadow Era dropped, he's been focused on that. I got my fingers crossed but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point until he posts in one of the BfW threads again...

17. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    bump? i was wondering whether people still play this regularly? i mean i do i love it. would be great if there could be more ai difficultys not just gold increase

18. Jetrel

Jetrel Active Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Frogatto Developer
    I'd say that in... I don't know, maybe 6-12 months, he'd be crazy not to update, because by then, we'll probably be done with our big portrait upgrade project.

In a nutshell, we're systematically going through all the campaigns, one by one, and replacing the cruddy, amateur drawings with good ones.

We've also done a huge-ish update to terrain that's hasn't been pulled into the latest iOS version.

19. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply Jetrel, that sounds like a huge amount of work. I really look foward to see that upgrade in the artwork.

20. Locriana

Locriana New Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Proven By The Sword difficulty

Hi, I've been enjoying Battle for Wesnoth on my new ipad. Its great having a game in the genre of Final Fantasy Tactics on the iPad!

I'm not so crazy about the turn limits in the scenarios sometimes, though. I know it's part of the strategy, but it would allow more freedom for fun and off the wall solutions to have more turns.

Anyway, the first scenarios I completed with many turns to spare, until I got to Proven By The Sword, where you only get nine turns! Can anyone help with the strategy here, or better yet, point me to a strategy guide for the iPad or iPhone version of this game? This is my first exposure to the Wesnoth series, but I am familiar with FFT and Jeanne D'arc, so the genre is not unfamiliar. I'm playing on medium I guess (one step up from civilian), which seemed about right until now... I don't think that's the problem anyway, I'm not losing men, just have no idea how to complete this in nine turns!

I really like the graphics for Wesnoth on the iPad, btw..

Anyone remember 'Magic Candle' from years ago....? Now how great would it be to improve the graphics resolution of that and port it to the iPad... Still remember Garz and the twin Mage sisters.... :)

Thanks,
    L