Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I think it might be never .... everytime I play I am always one day short from getting there. I start to wonder if I am missing something.

Is it even possible to move two units into a zone to battle one enemy unit? I am always forced to fight with one unit at a time and this ends up always in a tie. In a real war this could be possible to sync attack from multiple units on one.

2. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    What is happening in all likelyhood is that you are attempting to launch an attack over a river or bridgehead, in those instances the attacker will only to able to move one unit into the enemy controlled area due to movement restrictions, plus the defense will get a positive modifier if I recall.
    This is a critical defensive strategy, if the Allies can put a river between the Axis and themselves it can even up the odds a bit and buy them time.
    An easy way to tell on the map if you have to cross a river: if its curvy or squiggly it's a river, if its a straight border line you can use multiple units on the enemy. Hope this helps!

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    #123 FPE, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Not really. I seem to move a piece and be forced to fight. But I am going to try again, I have free feeling I have not understood the rules very well.

Update: I was so wrong. I did it realise I could move all units on the selected zone. And in fact I won against Patton. Just attacked on two sides! Nice.

4. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hmm...are you trying to move one of your units out of an area also shared by the enemy? If so, you either have to retreat all units or the one(s) remaining will be forced into combat.

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    No, I just did not read the rules well. I did not realise I could move one or more of the unit in a selected zone as long as they did not move before. This is why I was always loosing.

Time to move to the main scenario!

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #126 Pitta, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Today I played a game against David Dunham from Shenandoah studio.

It was GLORIOUS.

If the map was prolonged to whole Germany and Berlin, I would have probably ended there...I didn't had a chance...couldn't even move.
    He (Allies) seemed the attacker.
    Besides having so much fun playing (and losing), I realized the game really offers endless possibilities...never thought of many kind of 'uses' of both terrain and units....so much to learn!!!

Despite being out since so little time, this game is already one of my favorites.
    Full campaign async games are absolutely awesome.

7. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    #127 Cromwell, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    Sounds really like you had a great time even when losing. Then it has to be a great game!
    Can't wait to get it. :)

Alas Apple messed things up for us Germans, the gamers in Austria and Switzerland:

@David Dunham and the Dev Team:

Are there any Swastikas or "SS" symbols in the game? If "Yes" then we have the first problem.
    Which german songs are in the game? Is there by any chance the "Horst Wessels Lied" or the first verse of the german national anthem, "Deutschland über alles", included? If "Yes" , then you have the second problem.
    I have no idea to which extent original WW2 footage, which contains so called "Verfassungsfeindliche Symbole" (anticonstitutional Symbols) and forbidden songs are not allowed in any game, but I think that this could be a problem, too.

The content itself, the type of game BotB is cannot be the problem, because there are a lot of this kind of games available in Germany.

Apple could have asked/checked if there are any Nazi Symbols and/or songs in it. If not then there will be no problem with german "jurisdiction". That is something I can blame them for.
    When you see which fake games get approved by apples process then you only could wonder why they make such a fuss with such a great game right now.

Final, important words...

I have two options:

1.)I make an NZ or Canadian Account and buy it from there or send someone I trust money to gift it to me.
    2.)I buy the game in the german Appstore, JB my device and download a non german version from somewhere else.

If it takes too long, I will pull option 1. In any case I will BUY and not steal it. Piracy is not an option!

I do not like censorship, especially when I am affected by it, because I am intelligent enough to see if something is propaganda and glorification.
    But I understand that it is absolutely necessary for more simple minded or easily influencable persons, so it is o.k. that we have this kind of laws.

Do not get me wrong, I am not an adorer or worshipper of the Nazis or any of their leaders, nor am I a Xenophobe, an Antisemite or on the outer right wing of the political spectrum.
    I am just a liberal thinking individuum, who do not like that others decide what is good for me or not.
    But I will not complain. I am quite content with living here in Germany, where you have a lot of freedom in general. Much more than in most countries of the world.

OK, sorry for OT, but I am quite enervated by all this "Your games is not available in your region" shit on Steam and now we have the same problem @AppStore.

8. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Sounds like a fabulous game Pitta! If you don't mind me asking, any particular moves that David did as Allies that shocked you and made you think "wow I didn't know you could do THAT!" I think I'm becoming a somewhat competent Allied player but I still play the traditional defense role, haven't been fortunate or bold enough yet to try early unorthodox moves.
    I am in a game with another player (Dukester) who is playing Allies in a manner that makes me uncertain to press my drive west. He actually attacked me in Eupen early (Dec 18) and has three divisions in Elseborn plus the elite 2nd infantry in position to possibly bail out the beleaguered 106th Inf and possibly cut off my supply line! This will force me to make a decision whether to hold back my newly arrived OKW Reserves to deal with this threat or move them west to maintain my long term objectives. Hope this screenshot loads, what a mess!
    [​IMG]

9. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Cromwell,
    There are unit designations only, for example 1st SS Pz. There are no SS insignia such as the Deaths Head or twin lightning bolts anywhere to be found. Elite unit insignia such as the 1st SS Pz Key are present but should not violate the terms of service.

10. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    What about the documentary footage? Mabe something in that? Seems extremely unfortunate if it is something as small as that.

11. Eejit

Eejit New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Neither of which should really affect the Austrian or Swiss app stores, unless they are hosted on servers in Germany.

At least Apple have been in touch with Shenandoah Studio, so let's see what happens next year ...

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm curious, is Battle Academy in the German AppStore?

13. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep! :D

Thank god, I have a German an a US account ... :D

14. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    #134 Cromwell, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    It is.

One question...

Is it possible, that...

...I can send someone I trust money via paypal or whatever, then change the country and the adress to e.g. UK. and this person gifts me the app.
    Can I then redeem the gift/code on the UK store and change back to the german adress&appstore and still have access to the game I got from the UK store? I think it must be possible, but I need a confiormation.... ^^

15. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not sure if it is okay to discuss how to open an account in iTunes Store A and you live in country B. I think if you do a Google search you can find out how.

16. Eejit

Eejit New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Zürich, Switzerland
    It *is * in the Swiss app store though.

17. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Volume I ? there will be others?

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yes, El Alamein is next.

But I'd still like to know what developers have planned for this title post holidays. This is a great title but I can't see myself paying the same price for another standalone two scenarios if that's all each volume is going to be.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If the developer is taking suggestions, I would like the installed size to be reduced...

Scenario suggestions: any Pacific War scenarios?

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not sure if there is any operational level game of the Pacific theater, strategic level may fit more like Gary Grisby's Pacific War; but I don't mind doing some island hopping exercise. :)

I really want Operation Crusader -- bad.