Battlefield 3 - by EA mobile

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Der-Kleine, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    needs destructable environments and vehicles. Overall game looks good. I really hope there's weapon and character customization. Im a little worried about multiplayer because bfbc2 had really AWFUL multiplayer and LAGGED so much and i really hope it isnt freemium

2. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    The bolt is the energy bar. I think it'll be the same as the Let's Golf 3. Maybe one bolt per game? :(

3. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    in that case is a counter not a bar, but f*ck, one bolt per game? that sound wack! i mean, it should be a hell of a way to prevent rage quitters and piracy, but for some reason it doesn't feel right. i'd rather pay for the full price ONCE and that's it. i HATE freemium stuff.

4. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    Well you cant say its not a successful business tactic. And frankly EA is in the business of making money.

Freemium would be terrible, but I am not surprised. Surprisingly.

Digital Legends helped develop this? I was unaware they were part of the first Battlefield game for iOS, but their track record is pretty good.

Bittersweet moment.

5. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Doubt that the game is freemium. It just doesn't really make sense. And besides, thats probably just some multiplayer aspect i would think.

6. Liam2010

Liam2010 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    This game looks beast!

Its gonna have atleast 10 player mp since bfbc2 had 10, should be sweet, i doubt it will have destructable environments but vehicles...maybe, ps im reffering to multiplayer

7. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

8. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm guessing that it'll be a premium price with a whole lot of IAP crap similar to that in DS and NBAJ.

9. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    1. Since MC 1 Sandstorm, GAMELOFT has been trying to narrow the gap between console and mobile and you can see it with NOVA2 and MC2.

2. Problem is that EA still views console and mobile as separate and you can see it with BF mobile. They want a $3 quality game because that's exactly how they view mobile gaming. EA is buying up companies just to increase market share and play catch-up, but I'd hardly say they're innovating or pushing boundaries like Gameloft has done in the past.
    --------Dead Space was the 1 exception because the "EA-owned studio" that created it was going for gold, and actually cared about customer expectations. ---------

3. There once was a time when I looked forward to EA iOS games, but lately they've been slouching.

10. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #91 dumaz1000, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    There was a time when EA sold their games for 9.99. Now they sell their games for 4.99. If they are going to sell their games for half the price, how can you not be surprised when the game turns out to have half the quality? Of course EA could do better on these games. Unfortunately, people are unwilling to pay fair market value for iOS games. If iOS pricing competitive within the gaming industry, which it's not, far more multi-platform developers would take it seriously. Most major "console" developers, like Bioware, for example, won't even touch iOS development.

Back when EA attempted to sell all of their games for 9.99, the games were of a much higher quality. However, EA could not consistantly sell games at that price. So they slashed pricing in half. When they slashed pricing in half, they also slashed development in half.

Bottom line, people have brought this freemium model upon themselves with their own stubborn cheapness. Now 8 of the top 10 grossing iOS games are freemium. At least in the U.S. appstore, 8 of 10 are Freemium. Out of the top 9, only Angry Birds is not. It's Angry Birds and 8 freemium games.

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I have to agree, most of EAs games on the appstore are tiny casual games or failed attempts to get a hardcore game on mobile devices. (with a few exceptions like Need for Speed undercover and Dead Space)

12. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    1. Sadly enough, Activision, Rockstar and Blizzard are all staying out of the game because of the $0.99 expectations.

2. Even Gameloft is slacking a little. I hope March of Heroes or MC3 can redeem their reputation.

***But I heard Nintendo might introduce iOS titles in an attempt to appease angry shareholders.

13. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    NFS Shift 2 was stale. What a let down, especially after Hot Pursuit which was actually pretty fun.

I really hope the whole "unreal engine" hype is more walk than talk. I'm not going to have very high expectations for March of Heroes. I feel it will be nothing more than an extended tech-demo, like Shadow Guardian. For the sake of my wallet, I hope I'm wrong.

14. Fps Hk

Fps Hk Member

Aug 16, 2011
    student
    Hong KOng
    Did anyone notice that in the screenshots the energy system seem to be applied to the multiplayer portion as well? oh no.......

15. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    All this talk about Battlefield 3 being a freemium? I hope that it's not true. I really can't stand that process. A complete rip off to the consumer. I would rather pay a higher set price, ie, 9.99 than a game loaded with IAP's. I hope EA doesn't go that route because I think a lot of us won't even buy the game.

16. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I hope bf3 has mc2 control scheme. Hands down the only way to play fps with touch screen.

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    EA looks to have put much more effort into this game. If the screenshots are to be believed, then this is definitely something that will sell for greater then EA's standard 4.99, assuming it's given a traditional price structure. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for in life, so I would have no issues with that.

If the game does go freemium, I can imagine EA giving the entire single player campaign away for free, which I think would be a much more novel approach then what companies like Glu are doing. If the multiplayer goes freemium, but the game gives a 2-hour SP campaign away for free, it would be much harder to complain about the game's overall pricing model.

18. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

They had it in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, but there was one big mistake that made it useless: One couldn't aim above the moovement stick on the right side, so aiming well while standing still was impossible. :(

19. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #100 Johnny101, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    I like the single player campaigns but I'm really into multiplayer. I think that's the biggest attraction to these FPS combat games. Playing online.

It would be great if EA followed Gameloft's MC2 and set it at a price, let's say 6.99. If they have map packs in the future. I would have no problem paying for those. I believe this is the best format.