Battlefield 3 - by EA mobile

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Der-Kleine, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Even if it is freemium, it doesn't necessarily mean EA will adopt the ngmoco/zynga style time-lock. EA released Battlefield: play4free and Battlefield Heroes on pc. Both are free to play, but progress isn't time-locked (but you can speed it up buy paying) and paid upgrades are mostly just aesthetic rather than performance enhancing. I think that approach could work pretty well on iOS too.

Leaving freemium for a bit, its worth noting is that the game is being developed by Digital Legends, the same guys who made BF:BC2 for iOS (as well as Kroll and Bruce Lee). Read into that what you will...

2. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    DIGITAL LEGENDS???? i was totally unaware of they involvement in this! PEOPLE! you can rest assured that this will be a AAA iOS title! the production values of games by DL are just magnificent, i mean, just check for ONE a SYMBIAN game with PSX graphis on a Nokia n70 like 6 years ago, and bruce lee, which IMO is the best fighting game on iOS way above SF and KoF.

3. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    imo bfbc2 was total shit (exaggeration) and im a little worry about control and multiplayer now

4. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I know seriously....

5. AwesomeAssassin

AwesomeAssassin Active Member

Nov 21, 2010
    N/A
    Estonia
    #105 AwesomeAssassin, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    "but payed upgrades are more aesthetic than performance enchanging"
    Total disagree, i stopped playing both of those, because people running around with theyr OPd guns.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    That's the hook of giving SP away for free and then going freemium on the MP. SP is really just an appitizer for most fans of the series, so they'll still make tons of money by going freemium only on the MP. Not charging for single-player is like throwing people a bone. I'm not saying I'd like it, but if you going to go freemium anyway, at least there's an improvement. A compromise of sorts, where they give a little instead of just completely fleecing you for everything.

I think EA has come to the conclusion that 6.99 is not the optimal price for iOS games. They started by charging 9.99, but their profit margin on 9.99 games wasn't great enough. So then they went down to 6.99 games. Still, the profit margin was not good enough. Then they went to 4.99 games and clearly that's when they hit the profit margin sweet spot. They may increase the pricing for just this one game, but overall they will continue what they are doing. Charging 4.99 for most games and investing in the development cycle and overhead of said games in accordance to the pricing. In other words, if they give you a $5 game, they are going to put $5 worth of effort into the game before they release it. Metaphorically speaking, of course. I realize that it takes more than $5 to develop these games.

As far as this game goes. If they just go standard pricing, they'll sell it for 9.99. I don't see any way in which 6.99 will be an option.

7. stasko

stasko Member

Jan 9, 2011
    digital legends developed bfbc2 for iOS

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Not everything they made was great.

I mean, they also made the mobile version of Split/Second wich was pretty awful.

9. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    oh, in that case nevermind XD lol i fail.

10. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    Upon further review, there is going to be no Single Player campaign. The game is going to be wave/hoard-based. Like a a spec-ops mode. Multiplayer is being referred to as "classic." No exact details on MP, but I suspect destructible environments are out. I bet this does sell for 4.99. EA decided that a legitimate effort in this franchise is worth more than iOS gamers are willing to pay, so they have settled for some half-assed compromise.

11. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Thats a bit dissapointing :(

12. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    If you think about it, the lack of a full campaign will cut the file size by nearly half I would assume. Judging by graphics in that video, it's going to be a huge file regardles. But I'm still curious as to what the set price will be on this one as well as the other upcoming games.

Not to the guy I quoted: And maybe it's just me but I didn't see much wrong with Bf2. I thought the controls weren't bad at all and my brother, who doesn't play iOS games at all, got into it as well. (I haven't played MC2 except for the lite, though)

13. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #114 Johnny101, Aug 19, 2011
    Battlefield 2 really isn't all that bad, but you have to have a newer device. I had a 2G and it lagged all the time, moved up to the 4G and it's pretty good.

.... but there is no comparison to MC2. Mc2 blows it out of the water, from sound effects to multiplayer.

14. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #115 P.T., Aug 19, 2011
    I know this isnt the right thread to ask but because you all love shooters:
    Which is the best shooter and why?
    Nova 2
    Dead space
    For me its essential it has much replay value.
    Also any tips on zombie, sci-fi shooters like these ones above^
    Thank you!

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

@arta: All that you posted was already posted a few pages back.

I'm quite disappointed that there won't be a propper campaign. :(

16. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    My favourite is Mc2. I have been playing this game since it came out. Multiplayer is the best. Ranking system, maps, just amazing.

Here's my current list. ( I'm sure this will change, as soon as these newer games come out, ie, Desert zombie, MOH, Warmgun, etc...)

1. Mc2
    2. Dead Space
    3. Cod Zombies- ( still a great game)
    4. Nova 2

17. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Thank you so much!!

18. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    They are supplying a cheap game because they believe iOS gamers are cheap. Honestly, I do believe iOS gamers get a bit of a bad rap. If some company produced a truly premium franchise title, I do believe that the iOS gaming community would step up to the plate and buy it, even if it were 14.99, and possibly even 19.99. But no gaming company actually believes this. So, I'm not saying that EA is right in their decision to operate in this manner. But their decision is their decision, whether you agree with it not. Perception has become reality.

iOS gamers are notoriously cheap, so we will supply them with cheap games.

That is basically what EA is doing.

I don't have much hope for a high quality effort on the MP side. No details have emerged, so anything is still technically possible, but I find it hard to believe that EA will go all out to make this somehow great.

19. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    like someone said ios gamers are cheap i think its because we dont even consider our ios devices as gaming devices so we tend to slwant to spend less money on games which leads to game companies putting less effort n resources into their games