Universal Battleheart (by Mika Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Feb 1, 2011.

1. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Still no game center support, why?

2. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Been a little busy with Zombieville 2. Also, I'd argue that achievements are possibly the least fun thing we could add. I'd rather do new enemies and loot.

Another update is on my ever expanding to-do list, but anyone who knows Mika Mobile knows the drill by now - we take our time.

3. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    It's nice to see a developer take a stand on that for a change. This inevitable clamoring for a bunch of useless Game Center functions thrown into _every single bloody game in existence_ is tiresome. You could make a Tic Tac Toe app, give it away free, and people wouldn't be happy unless they can look at some number to tell them how they're doing versus everybody else.

If you can't find enjoyment without a rating attached to every single aspect of a game, find something else to do. Like bouncing a ball: you could see how many times you can bounce it in an hour, then try to beat that record. Or hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, and doing the same.

4. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    IMO, the best thing you could add to Battleheart apart from loot and enemies is multiplayer battles via game center/wifi.

It would most likely never happen due to the severe balance testing/tweaking required in addition to the network code, but jeez, it would be so intense...
    In fact, I know for sure the intense finger swiping would eventually carve trenches on my iPad's display :D

BTW, have you seen Heroes vs Monsters ? I haven't played it much, but so far it's a complete rip off of your game :(

5. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    How can you say that? If it wasn't for achievements I would of been done with Zombieville USA 2 on the first day I got it. It's the achievements that give you a reason to keep playing. I haven't downloaded Battleheart yet so maybe that game has a lot of replay value in the game itself, but I would never ignore the addition of game center achievements.

6. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    It all depends on the game. I'd say achievement in this game wouldn't be the best thing they could add.

7. Kire

Kire Active Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Agreed... however, guess that most of us would also enjoy new skills... Still, new items and monster are meaningful changes...

8. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    #2388 deadclown, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    Sorry, Mika. I love you, and I love your games, but you're so damn wrong on this one.

Achievements are the easiest, most flexible way to add goals to a game. And gamers will try to achieve a goal for the sake of achieving a goal. It's really simple as that.

I'd still be playing Battleheart if I had achievements uncompleted. And consequently, I'd be more likely to remember to tell my friends to buy the game. And I'm FAR from alone on that.

Would new content be preferable to achievements? Yes! But is new content as effective an incremental sales booster given the implementation time? (well, that last part only you can answer) :)

9. dsigns

dsigns Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Gotta agree here. I get that some people hate achievements with a passion, but I really like Battleheart. I have recommended it to everyone. And honestly I havent touched it in months. Why? Because I beat it and there's nothing left to do. Good achievements give you something to shoot for and give you a reason to continue playing after you've completed the game.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not necessarily. Since everyone has access to the same characters and items, the only balancing needed is to create inter-class and inter-item balance. And while that certainly would be very nice, so that some classes don't fall out of use quickly in the multiplayer arenas, I'd say most of us would gladly live with that (especially if class and item balancing were slated for a later update) just to play Battleheart online.

These party combat mechanics have tons of potential, both for arena-based pvp and a possible future encounter- and party-based based MMO. There are very few iOS games (always excepting the brilliant vision of an online version of Bug Heroes, vaguely DotA-inspired, with several players joining up on each side to take down each others' bases) I'd rather play online in real-time than Battleheart.

11. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I know there are people who enjoy achievements, and I'm not saying they're pointless. I mean, I did add them to Zombieville 2 after all, and it's pretty likely I'll add them to whatever I work on next as well. But for me personally, I don't find them particularly fun to shoot for, that's all.

You're probably right that I'd probably get a lot of bang for my development buck by including them in Battleheart. Still, I'm not the sort of developer that will sit down and crunch the numbers and say "hmm, adding achievements will add 10% increased revenue at the expense of 300 man hours, while new monsters will take 1000 man hours for a similar gain!" That may very well be true, but I'm more concerned with doing things I think are cool and will be fun to work on. For example, the last few days I've been building prototypes and concept art for something completely new - much more fun than fiddling with Game Center. :)

12. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Some gamers.

13. Kire

Kire Active Member

Aug 26, 2010
    ;) Can we geat a sneak peek of the concept art? Please, let it be dragons!

As a side note, I think that what keeps a player coming back for more is the chance of geting something new or special... achievements are one of several things, but rare items, extremely hard monsters or high level skills are equally satisfying... as I said before, I'm happier if a developer says "I'm developing new content" compared to "Achivements in the next update"... in simple words, if feels as if I'm getting more from my buck...

14. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    i second that statement

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #2395 undeadcow, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    Forget achievements; bring on new content. When I was a kid we had to die 100 times or beat up a hundred troopers just for the kick of it.

This!

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, bring on new content! Archievements are just some kind of a penis enlargement for those with small ones. No sense of archievements in real life? - win virtual ones.

17. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    I like achievements when meeting goals actually unlocks stuff. The "regular" sort that you just get for no reason, though? That's silly. It's like people need to be told how to play around and have fun with a game these days.

18. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not sure if these bugs have been reported, but I recently picked up battle heart again, as a bit of a break from Zombieville 2. When the Bard has the skill active that lets it take all the damage of the team mates, in the battle with the splitting goo boss, if the bard dies with the sill active in a puccle of the acid, he death animation will be looped over and over until the animation is timed to end.

Also, with the witch, if you use the frog spell twice in a row by using one of the items that have a chance for no cooldown, the second frog is instead invisible, staying so until the effects wear off the first frog.

19. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Can we just kind of sum this up and say achievements are cool but new content is better?

This is going to end up super off topic.

On a side note - I started a new save with this game a few days ago and have found myself itching to get back to it. Kinda sucks you feel required to use the healer, though.

20. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    I could care less about achievements personally. Could easily live without them. I can understand somewhat, that some feel the opposite.