Battleheart Legacy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MikaMobile, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It was, but then they realized that it had a lot of gameplay similarity to Battleheart and they liked working with fantasy.

Hopefully they'll come out with a sci-fi game someday... I love sci-fi.

2. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Looks really great. Missed the first one, but really interested in Battleheart Legacy. Keep up the great work!

3. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I would like to see a Sci-Fi game from them also. Not enough good ones out there.

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Mika the game looks great altho I'm a little bummed at the prospect of only 1 character rather than the team based dynamic of BH. Even 2 would be nice, managing a balanced pair, but oh well.

I really hope you consider adding a line of cosmetic IAP. I think most players love rewarding devs that have non gameplay/currency IAP and its a good side revenue stream.

5. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

Day 0. This looks right up my alley.

Only question so far: I see it's open world but is there an endgame / randomisation at all? I look for longevity above most other things these days, especially in RPG's.

6. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The world is mostly hand crafted. (Not randomized). However we plan to include random encounters/events that happen while traveling on the map, and end-game oriented dungeons/arenas meant to test the most broken character builds we can think of. Further, I think a "new game+" is likely, in which you can start over at level 1 but retain skills you learned the first time through. Since many quests you'll encounter have multiple endings, and there's a ton of ways to build a character, I think replaying from the beginning once or twice should provide some appeal.

7. Doron

Doron Member

Feb 21, 2009
    How are you going to handle end game? Randomized endless dungeons? Maps that drop with varying difficulty? I am extremely excited about the game. I am just wondering if you are going to handle it the Diablo3 way, replaying over predefined maps over again or Torchlight 2 maps and bottomless dungeons that get harder the deeper you go or even Path Of Exile with their end game map system. Another thing I am surprised no ARPG loot type game hasn't looked into is the leveling item levels via an Item World just like Disgaea.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm so stoked! I can't believe I missed this. Looks like another genre defining game from MikaMobile (seriously, look at how many devs tried duplicating the games Mika makes). I do like how this one seems more customization/story driven. The armor changes are lovely. Makes me want to collect everything. Plus NG+? I'm buying this once it hits the store.

Question though, do you pick your characters base look from a pool of designs? How many are there?

9. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Have you tried Sci Fi Heroes? It's pretty much a Battleheart clone with a humorous sci-fi setting. Very well done in terms of BH clones.

- - -

Back on topic, cannot wait for BH Legacy! Kinda bummed to hear it's not coming this year but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    ....... Never ever ever EVER promote clones of MikaMobile games

11. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Sorry if I missed it, but what's the game length? 10 hours? 15?

12. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    Basically you choose a gender and a haircut when you start, right now we have 8 total but might add a couple more. The rest of your visual appearance is based on your gear.

As mentioned previously, most likely we'll have some challenging randomized stuff (arenas, bottomless dungeons, something like that) that's tuned for characters who've basically beaten the stuffing out of the main campaign, and the option of rolling your character over to a new game so you can try different builds or pursue different forks of quests you did the first time.

We'll be able to give a ballpark estimate when it's further along. There's kind of a main storyline in the game, and a lot of side quests which are optional, so the total length will depend on how much of a completionist you are.

13. The original Battleheart is definitely in my top 5 iOS games list, but this one doesn't look too appealing to me. The 2D artwork in the first game oozed of charm while the 3D models in this game look a bit generic. In addition, the cartoony 3D characters seem very out of place while traveling in the more realistic-looking maps. Is there a reason why did you guys decided to go 3D instead of sticking with 2D?

14. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    We wanted to do a free roaming diablo-esque camera perspective, so 2D would have been sorta difficult workflow-wise. Games with that kind of POV that DO use sprites tend to just use hundreds of renders of 3d models anyway (Diablo 1/2, fallout 1/2, bastion, etc). Plus, we just wanted to try something new. In this instance, the gameplay dictated the aesthetic. (Better than the other way around IMO).

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Does this call your departure from 2D? Or is it still likely that your next game, be it ZU2, OMGP2, or another attempt at a sci-fi game, could still use that art style? Or is it simply that it depends on what your intent for the gameplay would require?

16. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Guys, you people drive me nuts with all the endgame, randomization talk like every game is an mmo or diablo. RPGs aren't all mmos! They begin and they end. Does final fantasy have an endgame?? No, u play it, get to the last boss, beat it and the game is done! This looks like an adventure. You play it, you beat it, it's done. not complicated. It's not an mmo, it's not an mmoarpg, it's just an RPG.

17. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    We're certainly not "done" with 2D. It depends on the project. I have no idea what we're doing next, probably something simple though. 2 years is too long for one project. :)

18. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Wow
    This looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

19. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Diablo is not an MMO, nor is Skyrim or any other Elder Scrolls game, nor is Titan Quest, Path of Exile, Torchlight 1 / 2, Sacred 1/2 or any other ARPG, they all have an endgame of sorts.

This game is clearly an ARPG, the developer themselves have said they want to address the endgame as that's what makes games like this fun, to make broken builds and level up / get new gear etc....

I don't care if it "drives you nuts" (and I would address your priorities in life if it does), does it affect your enjoyment of the game? By all means, quit after beating the final boss, but don't expect the rest of us to want the same things as you do.

20. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I am so so so so soooo hyped for this game!
    Havent been this hyped since Order and Chaos! I've been waiting for a RPG with talents similar to big franchises like WoW. The rogue looks amazing in the trailer!