Universal Bean's Quest (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey strivemind. Mmmmm, we're considering it! We collaborated at the game jam with two other very talented developers, a musician called Sean Affleck and a graphic artist: Matt Scorah. They were really awesome and we gelled together well.

We're definitely going to think about it! Boris is a very cute character already I think! Here's some gameplay footage for anyone interested:

You can play it for free on Windows and Mac already. So if you enjoy it, think of it as another taste of what we're capable of!

http://www.kumobius.com/omeletteboris/

Remember it was made in 48 hours, hence it's only 17 stages.

2. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Damn, the update is awesome! Revamped menus, cool intro clip, and so much more content! Thanks, Kumobius! :D

3. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Aha! I just completed every level with a perfect jump par! :cool:

Gold sneakers all around ;)

4. Mr Kumobius

Patreon Indie

Whaaaat!! So fast, man. You really are the king at this game. Unbelievable. Are you getting the axolotls and diamonds as well or do you just love the Jump Par aspect specifically?

Well done really!

5. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Mr Kumobius,yes thats the one! loved the video thankyou.Also loving Bean's Quest its very very addictive,well done guys.

6. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Ah, thanks! Yep, I get the other 2 things for each level as well. Usually I collect everything in each world and then attempt getting low jump scores, but switched it up on the last world to complete the game with perfect jumps first. Wouldn't want someone sneaking in that top spot before me! Right now I've gotten all of the axolotls, and am 1 away from all diamonds (last level.)

The jump par aspect is definitely my favorite part though, it's just perfect for what I like to do in a game. I love how difficult it can be and how much of a challenge it is to figure out the best route. You've gotta be fairly sharp! Of course, solidifying my place as #1 in the leaderboards on all maps was another incentive to be the first to do it haha

Seriously, thank you to your team for all the work that you guys put into this. It's a spectacular game!

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    FINALLY, I can now come in here and say how great the last couple worlds are!!!

I've been beta testing the last set of levels for the last couple of months... and while I was, I thought that they were AMAZING!

But now... now that they're completed, I am totally blown away. Kumobius, you've done an OUTSTANDING job with the game, and especially all of the levels that I beta tested... they're all so fleshed out and polished... which is very surprising, because even in the beta stages, they were fantastic.

I really can not recommend this one enough... it's like the devs have taken EVERY great mechanic from all of my favorite old-school platformers, and thrown them all into one great game, and then added a ton of new stuff on top of it all. I'm VERY glad I ended up giving them my $3 when there was only 1 world... this is easily one of the best (if not the best) platformers available for the iOS.

Thank you again for all the hard work you guys have thrown into this game! Really... fantastic job!

8. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    omg 50 levels! :O :D!!!! time to update!

9. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Can't wait to try out the new level packs! What started out as "short but sweet" ended up as a wonderful platformer filled to the brim with content! You guys have really outdone yourselves :)

10. Mr Kumobius

Patreon Indie

Thanks syntheticvoid, we're glad we were able to get so much stuff packed into the last two worlds.

The new desert world is designed to help level out the learning curve between Grasslands and Crystal Peaks. So it's not as tough as Crystal Peaks but it includes a lot of tricky obstacles and physics with the water so the player can be prepared further for the spikes in Crystal Peaks and the forcefields in Sky Ruins.

The last world is very epic, the magnet floors were an idea we had since the very beginning but we wanted to explore it last, especially in conjunction with the turrets that we introduced.

Also I hope you all enjoy the boss fight and the credits roll, we didn't want to skimp on any of those last details!

11. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    I'm glad I had faith back when the game was only eight levels long. Very few games can match Bean's Quest in terms of character and charm. I think those are it's strong suits. As time goes on iOS games have gotten and are getting better mechanically, with controls and frame rates and such, but there's no hardware tweak for an imagination.

12. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Quick question: Do you control the bean with your fingers, or do you tilt the device.

I think the game looks fantastic, but I can't stand games where you have to tilt the screen to move :(.

13. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    There is a left button on the left side of the screen and a right button on the right side. Holding anywhere on either side of the screen also works, but I'm guessing that's more of a convenience for iPad users. Enjoy the game ;)

14. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Hell yeah. Thanks!

15. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Game Impressions

Pfft. Completed the first five levels and I am already in LOVE. This thing is astounding. Great concept, accurate controls, and plenty to do. Totally brought me back to the days of Genesis and SNES gaming.

This game is dripping in charm and character too. Between that intro and the highly detailed pixel work, bright colors, and sound, I can't say I've felt like this about an iOS game in a while. Too many iOS titles come off as generic in the art department... But this is a class act. This is the sort of game I'll be remembering ages from now when other throw away $1 experiences are deleted off my phone.

Bean's Quest is such a winner. Absolutely worth the $3.

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    You know, love the game and all, but some of these jump pars are brutal.

17. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    That part I agree with... I have no idea how to accomplish some of these. I retried the first level at least fifteen times before moving onto level 2, and then i gave up on that one after about the same amount of time.

I love everything else, but the jumping pars feel nearly impossible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWK2X1sqfzg

This was a huge help. After watching it, things made sense. The accuracy needed is pretty intense though, and I have no idea how a normal mortal would figure this out without some direction :p.

18. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #218 Matt33, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Yeah, I'd like to report a bug. There are actually 116 diamonds on stage 5-12, not 140... hahaha

Seriously though, can I get a confirmation that there are 140 in the level? I don't believe an error like this would be made, but after checking every block surface that Bean can come in contact with, I have a 5% doubt. I've even tried some creative methods as an alternative to finding an elusive passive-block. Confirmation is all I need :eek:

19. Mr Kumobius

Patreon Indie

#219 Mr Kumobius, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Ha, nice find Matt. Apparently it is wrong. We removed a diamond puzzle and forgot to update the counter. Sorry guys!

We'll fix it in an update soon then, thanks for letting us know :)

20. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Whew, that's a relief for me. I was starting to become embarrassed that I couldn't find some measly diamonds after my previous prowess :p

Glad I could catch that for ya!